Stutzle or Byfield

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stutzle or Byfield, who will be the better player?

• Total voters

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
giphy.gif

Jonathan Davis is pretty plugged in with LA and he's one of the few guys who said Stutzle today apparently. I didn't hear it.

That doesn't help, it's just more people adding to the coin flip, haha.

not knowing is so stressful yet addicting lmao guess we gotta tune in and find out

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
At least for the 3rd overall pick, the 5th pick will be a lot harder.
Normally, I would say Ottawa should draft Drysdale (if he is still there at #5), because he is the coveted RHD puck-moving defenseman that every team looks for.

But I have been reading that 2021 draft has numerous top-end defensemen available. So perhaps Ottawa should focus on getting another potential 1st-line forward this year and worry about getting the defenseman next year.

Ottawa should be picking high in the draft again next year, so they can get their defenseman then.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Sens fans are still bitter over that? How petty. :laugh:

The funny thing is, I would bet the poster can't reference one thing Drew Doughty has ever said about being underappreciated.

But it's not hard to find Karlsson fanbois posting about Drew Doughty's Norris win, and conveniently forgetting that he deserved another one that was given to Karlsson instead. So you think the suggestion that "they only gave him a Norris to shut him up", would more aptly describe Karlsson and his fanbois.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's almost a blessing Ottawa picks 3rd they don't have to worry about picking the wrong player and kicking themselves down the road...leave that up to LA.

As a Sens fan this is EXACTLY how I feel. Who the heck knows they are so close anyway, happy to not have to decide. At 5 though its even harder there are 8 players that could easily be the best of the group. Cant miss on that one.

Reactions: HzH and Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
It's almost a blessing Ottawa picks 3rd they don't have to worry about picking the wrong player and kicking themselves down the road...leave that up to LA.

For sure. It feels like every single day now Im hearing different insiders flip flop on who LA will take... And as a Sens fan, I just keep getting more and more excited tbh.

Quite obviously there is a VERY strong case to be made for either player. And neither LA nor Ottawa fans should be disappointed at who they end up with on draft day. Even if that player wasn't their own personal first choice - it was many, many other peoples first choice. Credible hockey people. So that should hopefully put some peoples minds at ease.

Further to that point, anyone saying "AINEC" or "theres no chance LA picks (insert Stutzle or Byfield here) " should give their heads a good hard shake. They be acting like a fool, seriously.

Last edited:

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

As a Sens fan this is EXACTLY how I feel. Who the heck knows they are so close anyway, happy to not have to decide. At 5 though its even harder there are 8 players that could easily be the best of the group. Cant miss on that one.

I'd rather have Mann & Dorion pick first, then we know whether they got their guy or not. Picking after LA, of course they'll say they're happy with their selection.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005

As a fan sure, but as a GM\Scout you want to be able to make that pick. Trust me Dorion wants to be in the #2 spot.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Normally, I would say Ottawa should draft Drysdale (if he is still there at #5), because he is the coveted RHD puck-moving defenseman that every team looks for.

But I have been reading that 2021 draft has numerous top-end defensemen available. So perhaps Ottawa should focus on getting another potential 1st-line forward this year and worry about getting the defenseman next year.

Ottawa should be picking high in the draft again next year, so they can get their defenseman then.
I wouldnt think that way. Sooo much changes year to year in draft rankings. There was a time Liljegren was viewed as the #1pick before his draft year started.

Both Gormley and Fowler were viewed as potential 1st overall picks. They went 12 and 13.

Remember Ebert who ended up being the last player picked?

Most of these kids are only 16 and a ton will change in draft rankings from now until the 2021 draft.

Then theres also the fact that we have no idea how Ottawa will place. No one expected San Jose to be so bad and very few expected Columbus to do that good. Maybe they draft Byfield and he turns into a 70pt player right away? Maybe Brannstrom steps up as a top 4D and Batherson has a breakout year and all of a sudden Ottawa is drafting 20th overall instead.

If they think Drysdale/Sanderson are the best player available and they need D, you dont skip because you MIGHT be bad next year and there MIGHT be some good D to draft.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
I wouldnt think that way. Sooo much changes year to year in draft rankings. There was a time Liljegren was viewed as the #1pick before his draft year started.

Both Gormley and Fowler were viewed as potential 1st overall picks. They went 12 and 13.

Remember Ebert who ended up being the last player picked?

Most of these kids are only 16 and a ton will change in draft rankings from now until the 2021 draft.

Then theres also the fact that we have no idea how Ottawa will place. No one expected San Jose to be so bad and very few expected Columbus to do that good. Maybe they draft Byfield and he turns into a 70pt player right away? Maybe Brannstrom steps up as a top 4D and Batherson has a breakout year and all of a sudden Ottawa is drafting 20th overall instead.

If they think Drysdale/Sanderson are the best player available and they need D, you dont skip because you MIGHT be bad next year and there MIGHT be some good D to draft.

I agree and D also take longer to figure out the defensive side of the NHL they might want to get while the getting good.
They are already landing a top forward prospect

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012

this year has so much second round talent, I think Ott should go forward at 3 then drysdale. Add drysdale then one of those top d and they are set.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
As a fan sure, but as a GM\Scout you want to be able to make that pick. Trust me Dorion wants to be in the #2 spot.
Thanks for the insight mats.

I'd rather have Mann & Dorion pick first, then we know whether they got their guy or not. Picking after LA, of course they'll say they're happy with their selection.
You'd have to be pretty arrogant to think you know definitively know who is going to be better at this point. Less pressure and a third of the season was missed which was the most crucial point.

Reactions: Rorschach

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Its a blessing Ottawa picks third, I read. :facepalm:

Yeah because a fan knows there was no other option.

Are we now going to take that route. Its not a blessing, its just how it is.​
Unless the better player ends up being drafted #2 and the Senators would have taken them if they had #2 pick.

But you are right in that drafting 3rd removes having to make a decision, which carries the risk of making the wrong decision.

A big problem, however, is that if you go through all the drafts, the 2nd pick has ended up better than the 3rd pick in a vast majority of cases.

So whoever Los Angeles picks is likely to have the better career, if you simply go by historical trends.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Yeah because a fan knows there was no other option. Congratulations.

No team thinks that is a blessing.​

For me as a Detroit fan, obviously the goal was first overall, but I felt the same about falling to 2 as I did to falling to 3. 4 was clearly a jump.

Reactions: Reddwit

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Thanks for the insight mats.

You'd have to be pretty arrogant to think you know definitively know who is going to be better at this point. Less pressure and a third of the season was missed which was the most crucial point.

Oh, I'm not banking on Mann and Dorion guessing right. I'd just look forward to praising or criticizing them. I don't care about LA's draft record.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Unless the better player ends up being drafted #2 and the Senators would have taken them if they had #2 pick.

But you are right in that drafting 3rd removes having to make a decision, which carries the risk of making the wrong decision.

A big problem, however, is that if you go through all the drafts, the 2nd pick has ended up better than the 3rd pick in a vast majority of cases.

So whoever Los Angeles picks is likely to have the better career, if you simply go by historical trends.
Not every draft is the same you absolutely cant look at it like that each year is isolated and different.

Reactions: HzH

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Yeah because a fan knows there was no other option. Congratulations.

No team thinks that is a blessing.​

I can guarantee you that Detroit thinks it is a blessing.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
You just wish to speak on behalf of the Detroit organization.

However on Monday, you are sitting behind your desk again doing nothing or skipping school.

I guarantee you that.

Is...Is this an attempt at a personal attack? I honestly can’t tell.

Anyway, do I need to remind you that your initial comment that prompted my response had you speaking on behalf of literally every team in the league?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Is...Is this an attempt at a personal attack? I honestly can’t tell.

Anyway, do I need to remind you that your initial comment that prompted my response had you speaking on behalf of literally every team in the league?
Steve was glad to drop to fourth overall according to you.

Could you please stop. Its a total shame you even continue.

Of course I speak on behalf of every team in the league. I am not saying the sky is black.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This is a really tough one. I think Stutzle has more skill, but Byfield is so young and so damn big. You really have no idea how high his ceiling could go.

It'd be really nice if the NHL hadn't f***ed us out of either of them, but here we are.

Reactions: Rorschach

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK

Your mistake then would be looking at historical trends. Better to look at the actual decision point, which seems historically close. From a perception perspective Dorion can not lose. And perception could have a significant relationship with job security.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rorschach and bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad