Stutzle or Byfield

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stutzle or Byfield, who will be the better player?

• Total voters

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Steve was glad to drop to fourth overall according to you.

Could you please stop. Its a total shame you even continue.

Of course I speak on behalf of every team in the league. I am not saying the sky is black.

Do you even know how to read?

He’s saying that Detroit would consider being #3 to be blessing, considering they ended up #4 with no chance at Laf, Byfield or Stutzle.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Kings are the Lucky ones. They get their choice. Imo they select Byfield, because his ceiling is a lot higher.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Yikes. This is officially getting embarrassing now lol.

But please do continue getting mad because stuff is totally flying right over your head at the moment. Its a great read for the rest of us lol.

You are still butthurt from a couple of days ago ?
“Officially”, “lol”...”flying over your head”, “lol” again !

I guess you are. :D

Use the tears for something else.

Last edited:

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I personally prefer stutzles pure hockey sense to byfields. They both have a different physical package but each have elite attributes in retrospect, for me, the difference maker in these guys nhl careers is going to be the mental processing and natural "feel" for things offensively....to me, stutzle is going to be the superior player in that aspect.

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
I personally prefer stutzles pure hockey sense to byfields. They both have a different physical package but each have elite attributes in retrospect, for me, the difference maker in these guys nhl careers is going to be the mental processing and natural "feel" for things offensively....to me, stutzle is going to be the superior player in that aspect.

Does he though?! If you really watch both of them closely, over multiple games, you see that they both have an offensive flare for the game, just in different ways.

To your point of Stutzle's offensive feel over that of Byfield, I would actually say that Stutzle is less so equipped in that facet of the game.

Stutzle seems to want to do things at such a high speed, that he seems to forget sometimes about his teammates. He will drive the zone, then have to shift, turn, cut and loop in order to evade the pressure in order to hopefully find an opening. When he does, it looks magical, but he also lose a a lot of opportunities because of this.

At the NHL level, he isn't going to have all that time and space to work with, and this is absolutely something he can work on once he has a feel for the NHL, his coach and linemates.. It's just something that is still a work in progress.

I'd argue that Byfield, is less flashy in this area, and this is where some say that he floats or looks lazy, but it's the contrary. Byfield seems to position himself properly, uses his reach to break up plays, and his body to cover the puck. He creates a lot of odd man rushes because of this (many say that he scores a lot on the odd man or break way.. But fail to say that he creates those chances).

Byfield too needs to work on his back check and using his body, not to hit, but to absorb pressure better.

I like Byfield currently in this area, in 5yrs it could be very close. Both are very good prospects, both need some work, I do however see Byfield as the better choice at 2 as of today.

Reactions: Rorschach

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Does he though?! If you really watch both of them closely, over multiple games, you see that they both have an offensive flare for the game, just in different ways.

To your point of Stutzle's offensive feel over that of Byfield, I would actually say that Stutzle is less so equipped in that facet of the game.

Stutzle seems to want to do things at such a high speed, that he seems to forget sometimes about his teammates. He will drive the zone, then have to shift, turn, cut and loop in order to evade the pressure in order to hopefully find an opening. When he does, it looks magical, but he also lose a a lot of opportunities because of this.

At the NHL level, he isn't going to have all that time and space to work with, and this is absolutely something he can work on once he has a feel for the NHL, his coach and linemates.. It's just something that is still a work in progress.

I'd argue that Byfield, is less flashy in this area, and this is where some say that he floats or looks lazy, but it's the contrary. Byfield seems to position himself properly, uses his reach to break up plays, and his body to cover the puck. He creates a lot of odd man rushes because of this (many say that he scores a lot on the odd man or break way.. But fail to say that he creates those chances).

Byfield too needs to work on his back check and using his body, not to hit, but to absorb pressure better.

I like Byfield currently in this area, in 5yrs it could be very close. Both are very good prospects, both need some work, I do however see Byfield as the better choice at 2 as of today.
In my viewings, byfield wasn't making many hockey plays at all, would basically just get the puck and go end to end and force a play that's not there. I actually like that stutzle has the ability to use his speed, drive wide and escape back up the wall to create time and space, I believe his style of play will benefit in NA where his teammates will be tighter and able to support him/the puck better, in NA you see middle lane drive/support on every entry and that style i believe will play into his game even better because when he delays and escapes up the wall, he'll have slip pass options with the mid lane drive and support so he can chip it low to the support guy and use his speed and brain to attack space and run give & go's etc.... there were so many times watching him I was like what in the hell are his linemates doing(usually lapierre lol)

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
In my viewings, byfield wasn't making many hockey plays at all, would basically just get the puck and go end to end and force a play that's not there. I actually like that stutzle has the ability to use his speed, drive wide and escape back up the wall to create time and space, I believe his style of play will benefit in NA where his teammates will be tighter and able to support him/the puck better, in NA you see middle lane drive/support on every entry and that style i believe will play into his game even better because when he delays and escapes up the wall, he'll have slip pass options with the mid lane drive and support so he can chip it low to the support guy and use his speed and brain to attack space and run give & go's etc.... there were so many times watching him I was like what in the hell are his linemates doing(usually lapierre lol)

In NA he's going to have less time, less space and will get pushed out to the boards if he tries to do this too often.

On your Byfield point, watch more games because if you're saying he's he's not making hockey plays, you're not watching.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
You are still butthurt from a couple of days ago ?
“Officially”, “lol”...”flying over your head”, “lol” again !

I guess you are. :D

Use the tears for something else.

And it went from embarassing to sad.

Take your L dude, admit you misread and move on before you make yourself look even worse.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005

I would like to see him drive the net more. I have seen this play coutless times from Kopitar and it's fustrating at times but in the new NHL, D men are just as fast as forwards so I think Stuzle will have to adapt to this and bear down sometimes or else what you described is a perimeter player.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I would like to see him drive the net more. I have seen this play coutless times from Kopitar and it's fustrating at times but in the new NHL, D men are just as fast as forwards so I think Stuzle will have to adapt to this and bear down sometimes or else what you described is a perimeter player.
No it’s not it’s just what u do when u enter the zone without support, a perimeter player is a guy that refuses to go the dirty areas when he actually has a lane to the net w/the puck as well as a guy who won’t go to the net without the puck.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
And it went from embarassing to sad.

Take your L dude, admit you misread and move on before you make yourself look even worse.
I misread nothing, obviously he should not have quoted me if he meant something else. Than he misread/misunderstood me. Its more sad how many butthurt fans suddenly come out of the gate. Exactly those few, what a surprise.

You were the one, who was offended by strudel instead of Stutzle, right ? Kept talking about it for two pages, until I said something about it. Now you talk about “embarrassing” ? This is the world upside down.

Last edited:

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I misread nothing, obviously he should not have quoted me if he meant something else. Than he misread/misunderstood me. Its more sad how many butthurt fans suddenly come out of the gate. Exactly those few, what a surprise.

You were the one, who was offended by strudel instead of Stutzle, right ? Kept talking about it for two pages, until I said something about it. Now you talk about “embarrassing” ? This is the world upside down.

No, you are either confused or obstinate.

However, my advice is the opposite of the previous quote.

Don't take the L. Keep fighting it no matter how bad you come off. In fact keep doubling down on your position regardless of the fact that you are clearly and demonstrably wrong. Also, you should get more belligerent. Don't attack someone else's point, attack them personally. Really, its been the highlight of my day.

Reactions: Sick Nuzuki

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
No, you are either confused or obstinate.

However, my advice is the opposite of the previous quote.

Don't take the L. Keep fighting it no matter how bad you come off. In fact keep doubling down on your position regardless of the fact that you are clearly and demonstrably wrong. Also, you should get more belligerent. Don't attack someone else's point, attack them personally. Really, its been the highlight of my day.
Than you are either easily entertained or have a miserable life. :)

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Than you are either easily entertained or have a miserable life. :)

Hey man thanks! You took some of my advice. Sometimes it feels really nice to be heard!

Additionally, you answered someone else's question. @NyQuil, see he can read. Comprehension...thats another story.

It is pretty miserable working from home for the last six months, but you are really providing a fun distraction.

Last edited:

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

I don't know you or even remember you in that thread, you clearly seem to be over inflating your significance in that discussion. Something was said to me via direct message that caused me to back down, not sure why you felt that it was you that heroically did something.

Nobody is butthurt or upset here, unless of course you are. Your perception of things being said to you is interesting to say the least.

Since you seem not interested in hearing what others say, there's not much point to continuing from my end.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Huh? MacKinnon does this all the time, is he a perimeter player?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Its a blessing Ottawa picks third, I read. :facepalm:

Yeah because a fan knows there was no other option. Congratulations.

No team thinks that is a blessing.​
It takes the pressure off Dorion, and it's evident he wants Byfield or Stutzle, but I agree that he would still prefer to pick #2.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Kings are the Lucky ones. They get their choice. Imo they select Byfield, because his ceiling is a lot higher.

This seems to be the narrative around HF. Is size > all? You can argue Stutzle is better at just about everything else other than his shot. So wouldn't that mean Stutzle's ceiling is higher? Ryan Johansen has more size than Patrick Kane...it's obvious who had the higher ceiling.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not much more to say at this point. Just gonna sit back, stay pumped up about both dudes, and be happy for both us and Ottawa either way, let's f***in go

Still have Raymond as a darkhorse though and have that little nagging voice in the back of my head that won't be comfortable until after our pick

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
This seems to be the narrative around HF. Is size > all? You can argue Stutzle is better at just about everything else other than his shot. So wouldn't that mean Stutzle's ceiling is higher? Ryan Johansen has more size than Patrick Kane...it's obvious who had the higher ceiling.
That’s indeed a very good point but with the wrong arguments. One of the best US players ever compared to a player who was never considered his equal as prospect, “just” the shot, and ignoring all other positive facets that comes along with a 6’5” fast player.

Last edited:

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
That’s indeed a very good point but with the wrong arguments. One of the best US players ever compared to a player who was never considered his equal as prospect, “just” the shot, and ignoring all other positive facets that comes along with a 6’5” fast player.

For sure - but that's not the point of my post. Of course Kane / Johansen were not the same caliber of prospect. The point is that people get so unbelievably hung up on size that they tend to ignore everything else. I don't know who has a higher "ceiling" between the two...but nobody can conclude its one or the other at this point in time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad