Stutzle or Byfield

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stutzle or Byfield, who will be the better player?

• Total voters

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Not much more to say at this point. Just gonna sit back, stay pumped up about both dudes, and be happy for both us and Ottawa either way, let's f***in go

Still have Raymond as a darkhorse though and have that little nagging voice in the back of my head that won't be comfortable until after our pick

Well said. I can honestly say that LA will become 2nd favourite team if they draft Byfield, players of his caliber dont come to the Wolves that often (like ever). Nevermind the fact that hes smiled the whole way through and seemed to genuinely like the city and his time here. Hes just ypur typical polite and friendly Canadian kid, and I think hes going to do a lot of good things for the game on and off the ice.

And there arent many better teams for him to land on than the Kings if it cant be my Senators. He would fit like a glove there and likely get his name on a cup by the time its all said and done.

And while it will be bitter sweet for me to here his name get called at #2 tonight, the idea of Stutzle takes away almost all my fears. Ive heard enough people I trust simply gush over him now to know that hes about as good as it can get for a consolation prize, so to speak.

OregonCanuck

Dec 26, 2017
Bend, OR
Skating - Stutzle
Size- Byfield
Hockey iq - Stutzle
Hands - Stutzle
Shot - Stutzle
Better player...
Stutzte I wouldn't risk not taking a future superstar this kid oozes star. Byfield had lots of potential but with Stutzles skating and stick handling as filthy as it is and not to mention his creativity on the ice. He is emotional invested and shows passion when he plays. Byfield is 3rd on my list I can't pass up Stutzle I thought about maybe even putting him #1

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Byfield. The fact he is already this good while being so raw is insane. If you give him one more year before he plays in the show he will be an easy superstar.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
For sure - but that's not the point of my post. Of course Kane / Johansen were not the same caliber of prospect. The point is that people get so unbelievably hung up on size that they tend to ignore everything else. I don't know who has a higher "ceiling" between the two...but nobody can conclude its one or the other at this point in time.
Yes but thats about 95% of the nonsense you read here. In the end we are all full of **** regarding analyzing prospects.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Skating - Stutzle
Size- Byfield
Hockey iq - Stutzle
Hands - Stutzle
Shot - Stutzle
Better player...
Stutzte I wouldn't risk not taking a future superstar this kid oozes star. Byfield had lots of potential but with Stutzles skating and stick handling as filthy as it is and not to mention his creativity on the ice. He is emotional invested and shows passion when he plays. Byfield is 3rd on my list I can't pass up Stutzle I thought about maybe even putting him #1

I disagree with this assessment.

Skating - Stutzle.
Hockey IQ - split.
Puck control - Byfield
Shot - Byfield
Defensive instincts - Stutzle
Hands (dangles, etc) - Stutzle
Offensive zone instincts - Byfield
Deception - Stutzle
Ability to get to the net - Byfield
Slip (ie sneaky) - Stutzle
NHL style - Byfield
Pressure (overcoming gap) - Byfield
PP - Byfield
PK - Stutzle
Leadership - Byfield? (According to that one report from LA)
International (ie proven in tournament) - Stutzle
Consistency - Arguably Byfield
Conditioning - arguably Byfield? Both are studs
Injury prone - Tie? Neither is a concern

I could keep going but I ran out of things I could think of lol

Reactions: fsanford

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I disagree with this assessment.

Skating - Stutzle.
Hockey IQ - split.
Puck control - Byfield
Shot - Byfield
Defensive instincts - Stutzle
Hands (dangles, etc) - Stutzle
Offensive zone instincts - Byfield
Deception - Stutzle
Ability to get to the net - Byfield
Slip (ie sneaky) - Stutzle
NHL style - Byfield
Pressure (overcoming gap) - Byfield
PP - Byfield
PK - Stutzle
Leadership - Byfield? (According to that one report from LA)
International (ie proven in tournament) - Stutzle
Consistency - Arguably Byfield
Conditioning - arguably Byfield? Both are studs
Injury prone - Tie? Neither is a concern

I could keep going but I ran out of things I could think of lol

On consistency, one major criticism of Byfield is that he doesn't perform in high-pressure situations. That has been rebutted with the small sample size argument and mitigated by his performance with the Wolves after returning from the WJC.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
If Byfield was 6 feet tall, he wouldn’t be a top ten player in this draft class. Stutzle is closer to Lafreniere than Byfield.
But he is, so your point is moot.

Would Drysdale be rated as highly if he shot left? Maybe not, but it doesn't matter, because he doesn't.

If Rossi were 6'2" he would be pushing #1 ooverall. But...

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Byfield was on track to break 100 points in the OHL in his draft year. How many draft year prospects have broken the 100 point mark in the O? Has to be a pretty short list.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Can't agree with these two at all.

I feel Stutzle's habit of skating out of the o zone with the puck is partly because he doesn't have the eyes at times.

Stutzle is easier to shake off the puck, Byfield protects it so well.

I'm down for being counter pointed on those.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Byfield reminds me of a Lindros/Sakic hybrid. Stutzle a Forsberg/Bure Hybrid. Cant miss with either.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Give me a faster version of Kopitar, that is just a sic player.

And all I know we are not going to pick a Thomas Hickey level player at least I hope not ha ha ha

Last edited:

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
If Byfield was 6 feet tall, he wouldn’t be a top ten player in this draft class. Stutzle is closer to Lafreniere than Byfield.

Ah yes the selective removal of a measurable to try and justify point.
I mean if Kopitar was 5'10" 180 pounds he probably is not as high a caliber center either.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I feel Stutzle's habit of skating out of the o zone with the puck is partly because he doesn't have the eyes at times.

Stutzle is easier to shake off the puck, Byfield protects it so well.

I'm down for being counter pointed on those.
Yeah.

First of all, Stützle's smaller and weaker, I doubt that's in question. But what I see as "puck control" is stick skills and hands, which to me aren't even close and clearly in favor of Stützle. Byfield looks clumsy with the puck if anything.

Then this habit you mentioned. Slowing the play down and maintaining possession in that manner can be a good and high hockey IQ move, it depends on all the individual situations and the system. Actually, it often signifies a more mature way of processing the game at least in my opinion.

To me Stützle processes the game extremely fast and makes lightning quick, smart decisions that aren't immediately obvious. Haven't seen this with Byfield at all, actually.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Byfield was on track to break 100 points in the OHL in his draft year. How many draft year prospects have broken the 100 point mark in the O? Has to be a pretty short list.

I think the impressive thing with Byfield--in a historical sense--is that he was 17 for the entire season v. simply just being draft eligible.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Byfield reminds me of a Lindros/Sakic hybrid. Stutzle a Forsberg/Bure Hybrid. Cant miss with either.

Coming from a Byfield fanboy, I can say that he plays nothing at all like Lindros. Unfortunately.

People dont realize that even for his size, Lindros was freakishly strong. He was a generational athlete for his sport in that he was just a cut above everyone else in terms of size and power, like Shaq was for the NBA. And above all else, Lindros was a mean SOB. He was a one man wrecking crew, it was filthy to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad