Strome or Hanifin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
McKeen's hockey rankings:

1 1 Connor McDavid C Erie (OHL) 6-1/195 1997-01-13
2 2 Jack Eichel C Boston University (HE) 6-2/195 1996-10-28
3 3 Noah Hanifin D Boston College (HE) 6-3/205 1997-01-25
4 4 Mitchell Marner C London (OHL) 5-11/160 1997-05-05
5 8 Ivan Provorov D Brandon (WHL) 6-0/195 1997-01-13
6 5 Lawson Crouse LW Kingston (OHL) 6-4/210 1997-06-23
7 7 Zach Werenski D Michigan (B1G) 6-2/205 1997-07-19
8 6 Dylan Strome C Erie (OHL) 6-3/190 1997-05-07
9 9 Pavel Zacha C Sarnia (OHL) 6-3/210 1997-04-06
10 12 Mathew Barzal C Seattle (WHL) 5-11/175 1997-05-26

Provorov moving up...good on him. Kid deserves it.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I think most agree that if we get Strome, it would be best for him to be sent back to junior next season (Barring an amazing performance at camp). What do you think about Hanifin though? Is he ready physically to take the next step next season? Should Hanifin make the team if we draft him?

Next season we could have:

Rielly-Polak
Gardiner-Hanifin
Percy-Robidas

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
Edmonton will want Hannifin and will grab him if they finish ahead. Buffalo gets either McDavid or Eichel. It's really more of Will Strome or Marner fall to us should someone behind win the lotto. Hell from what I've seen of the top 5 prospects I wouldn't be surprised if Eichel drops to 4 or 5. Everyone keeps saying its McDavid then Eichel and then Hannifin Strome and Marner, I really see it as McDavid then Eichel Strome Marner and Hannifin. All have their own strengths and aside from McDavid none of the top 5 is a clear cut next pick after. If you need a D, grab Hannifin or Provorov. Want a strong forechecker grab Eichel (can actually see him on the wing because of this, he doesn't have the most agile game but his N/S speed is something jaw dropping and he's a beast down low, doesn't necessarily have the creativity to drive the play though that most 1C's have) Strome I think has everything you want in a player, he seems to be a clear cut franchise C and has an aura of stardom around him, can't exactly say why but something about him screams that he will be a Super-Star player, seems like a Toews or Kopitar type player. And then there is Marner, he's a skinny guy with great hands that are probably the best from a prospect player since Kane, he may be a 1C like Giroux but I see him as a winger in the NHL, he will likely get pushed out of the FO circle quite often but damn is he ever creative, could be a winger could be a centre, all depends on how much he's able to pack on w/o hurting his speed.

This is a great draft. I'm really hoping for McDavid or Strome but any of the other three and I won't complain, but from what I've seen those two will step in and become stars instantly in the NHL, the other three may take some time to find themselves.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
Also if they want to trade diwn Werenski and Provorov although may need an extra year or two outside the NHL look like great pickups, and Zacha and Barzal in any other draft would be a top 2-3 pick and potential 1C's. Pretty much if they pick anyone other than Crouse with their pick I'll be happy, if they trade down and add a prospect or couple 2nds then I'm also content, just don't pick Crouse, I like him but not as a top 10 or even a 1st round pick. PWF are too hard to project.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Edmonton will want Hannifin and will grab him if they finish ahead. Buffalo gets either McDavid or Eichel. It's really more of Will Strome or Marner fall to us should someone behind win the lotto. Hell from what I've seen of the top 5 prospects I wouldn't be surprised if Eichel drops to 4 or 5. Everyone keeps saying its McDavid then Eichel and then Hannifin Strome and Marner, I really see it as McDavid then Eichel Strome Marner and Hannifin. All have their own strengths and aside from McDavid none of the top 5 is a clear cut next pick after. If you need a D, grab Hannifin or Provorov. Want a strong forechecker grab Eichel (can actually see him on the wing because of this, he doesn't have the most agile game but his N/S speed is something jaw dropping and he's a beast down low, doesn't necessarily have the creativity to drive the play though that most 1C's have) Strome I think has everything you want in a player, he seems to be a clear cut franchise C and has an aura of stardom around him, can't exactly say why but something about him screams that he will be a Super-Star player, seems like a Toews or Kopitar type player. And then there is Marner, he's a skinny guy with great hands that are probably the best from a prospect player since Kane, he may be a 1C like Giroux but I see him as a winger in the NHL, he will likely get pushed out of the FO circle quite often but damn is he ever creative, could be a winger could be a centre, all depends on how much he's able to pack on w/o hurting his speed.

This is a great draft. I'm really hoping for McDavid or Strome but any of the other three and I won't complain, but from what I've seen those two will step in and become stars instantly in the NHL, the other three may take some time to find themselves.

Eichel is a lock for 2nd overall, no way he falls.

You're underrating him big time.

He's going to be a top 10 player in the league.

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012

If Eichel drops to #4, the GMs of #2-3 should be let go immediately.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
We havent selected an American in the first round since Biggs. Since then we've selected Percy, Gauthier, Rielly and Nylander in the first round. Most of our picks in the last five years are Canadiam. Our roster is primarily Canadian. The myth that we're all American is just that, a myth.

It is a myth. Our prospects are a mix of Canadian, Swede, and US college players. Fairly typical.

Our Leafs roster has some Americans like Kessel, JVR, Gardiner, Erixon, Booth, Kozun but most are Canadian.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago

Eichel will absolutely go #2. There is a BIG gap between the top 2 and everyone else. Its:

McDavid
Eichel

Hanifin/Strome/Marner

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
I definitely want Strome mainly because he's a big body centre with great skill and the fact he's a homegrown talent. However, Hanifin is essentially BPA at 3 at the moment and if we drop down there, more than likely management will take him over Strome.

As for people debating if Eichel drops out of 2nd, All the scouts have said that McDavid and Eichel are in a league of their own.

Only reason why people debate about Jack Eichel is that he's not getting much exposure up here for playing in Boston University. The fact that he's leading the NCAA in scoring as a freshman is outstanding.

CrazyCanuck89

Oct 9, 2013
St.Thomas
I voted for Strome. Reilly will become a number 1 defense man once Phaneuf is finally moved. Strome has the size and skill that the leafs need in a first line center. His skating can be easily worked on with a good coach. Just not a fan of picking NCAA players that high. Sure they can turn out to be good like Toews; but the NCAA also plays less games and it seems less physical.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Eichel is so much better than Hannifin/Strome/Marner. People don't see the 100 points because he's playing in America but he's a beast.

With him on the ice his team has a +75 goal differential. When he's off the ice, they are -11. No way he goes two, he has a higher chance of going at 1st overall than he does getting picked 3rd.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Eichel is so much better than Hannifin/Strome/Marner. People don't see the 100 points because he's playing in America but he's a beast.

With him on the ice his team has a +75 goal differential. When he's off the ice, they are -11. No way he goes two, he has a higher chance of going at 1st overall than he does getting picked 3rd.

I'd say he has an equal chance of going third as he does going first. Zero percent chance either way.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

Pretty much this. Eichel goes 2nd almost as likely as McDavid goes 1st.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I was tie-breaker. Hanifin. I'd take him to make a cornerstone top pairing with Rielly, and take a center with the second pick. I think Hanifin is clear number 3.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I was tie-breaker. Hanifin. I'd take him to make a cornerstone top pairing with Rielly, and take a center with the second pick. I think Hanifin is clear number 3.

Their both left-handed shots.

However, it's far from a sure-fire thing that Rielly becomes a top-pairing D. So Hanifin makes for a terrific back-up plan.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It is a myth. Our prospects are a mix of Canadian, Swede, and US college players. Fairly typical.

Our Leafs roster has some Americans like Kessel, JVR, Gardiner, Erixon, Booth, Kozun but most are Canadian.

Erixon is Swedish and Kozun is Canadian.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
The best player almost always helps the team the most.

In the case of the Leafs . . . as far away as we are from an elite, #1 centre . . . how far away are we from an elite, #1 d-man? I'd wager it's pretty equal, with due respect to the developing Reilly.

Hannifin.

All these guys in the top 5 look like pretty sure-fire NHLers, I think we can all agree (McDavid, Eichel, Hannifin, Strome, Marner look like the sure-fire top 5 at this point). But what level of NHLer is a whole other thing. Will McDavid or Eichel become the next RNH? You never really know . . . and past them, the gamble gets dicier, as to where they are gonna land on the wheel of stardom, if at all.

You just take that guy with zero risk, BPA. End of story. If anything, I have trust in Hunter to make the right move...I hope the trust isn't misplaced.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Their both left-handed shots.

However, it's far from a sure-fire thing that Rielly becomes a top-pairing D. So Hanifin makes for a terrific back-up plan.

Doesn't matter. We can groom him to play on the right side, or make Rielly play on that side. He has done it before.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Going back to the Doughty draft, the following D have been picked in the top 5: Ekblad, Jones, Murray, Reinhart, Rielly, Larsson, Gudbranson, Hedman, Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo.

Sorry I should have specified D that's considered elite. So, Pietrangelo? Hedman is almost there I think. Ya some of the kids could emerge but I want to give them a few years first.

Main point was you'd have a real tough time finding an "elite" centreman that wasn't picked in the top 10.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Getzlaf, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Giroux, Bergeron, Pavelski, Kopitar. You can list elite D outside the top 10 just like I can list Elite C outside the top 10.

well I think you're giving a little too much credit to some of those guys, and let's be honest, Datsyuk/Zetterberg are huge anomalies. Fair enough, both sides of the argument have valid points. I'd still take Strome.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
I'd say he has an equal chance of going third as he does going first. Zero percent chance either way.

Eichel is keeping pace with McDavid, it's scary what he is doing in the NCAA. Way out scoring players like toews in their draft years.

There might be a scouting department who likes Eichel better? Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad