Strome or Hanifin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I'm not voting because I really don't know who to vote for.

I've heard people say Hanifin is the BPA, but I think a lot of people saying that haven't seen him play often and are just re-iterating what a few of the big scouting services have said. He definitely could be, but Strome is fairly close to Hanifin overall either way. I think Hanifin is better, but I'm not confident in saying that 100%.

Then, choosing between #1C and #1D is difficult as I like the "build from the net out" approach, but I think there's a much better chance we have a #1D in our system (Rielly) than we have a #1C in our system (Nylander/Kadri). So that makes me want to kind of take the #1C prospect. Then you add the fact that I think it's harder to get a #1C than #1D and I really don't know what to do if we have this option...

So Truculent

Da Real MVP
Jun 30, 2011
Leafs Nation
I seriously wonder how many people who vote Hanifin have actually seen him play lol and just say BPA Hanifin because of draft rankings.

I think of highly touted NCAA defencemen and I immediately think of Jack Johnson and Erik Johnson and shudder and say pick Strome/Marner...Shea Weber and PK subban were found in 2nd rounds your stud #1 centers aren't.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I seriously wonder how many people who vote Hanifin have actually seen him play lol and just say BPA Hanifin because of draft rankings.

I think of highly touted NCAA defencemen and I immediately think of Jack Johnson and Erik Johnson and shudder and say pick Strome/Marner...Shea Weber and PK subban were found in 2nd rounds your stud #1 centers aren't.

Ryan Suter comes to mind pretty quickly. Not sure why anyone brings up draft history like it's something to follow. What if the top 5 prospects were dmen. Should we skip them and take the 6th guy because there's a 2nd round?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Hanifin is controlling the game versus men aged 21-23 at the ripe age of just barely 18. He and eichel are the two best ncaa prospects since toews. he has Niedermayer all over him imo. Strome? Could be jumbo joe mixed with Eric Staal, could be Jason Spezza with Allison's feet. I'm always skeptical of taking guys who play in secondary roles at the top of a draft.
Build from the net out. Also I think there are some legit high ceilings guys available with nsh pick. Take BPA always and Strome isn't even the best forward after McEichel.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
You don't generally post rhetorical questions. :laugh:

:facepalm: My point was center is a greater need and there's no point trying to bank on drafting another center next year assuming we have a top 5 pick cause there's no guarantees. The point in me making the same argument but with Dmen was that the same could be said about Dmen. I personally would rather take the risk on a higher risk, higher reward center while we have the chance. That's all I'm saying.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
:facepalm: My point was center is a greater need and there's no point trying to bank on drafting another center next year assuming we have a top 5 pick cause there's no guarantees. The point in me making the same argument but with Dmen was that the same could be said about Dmen. I personally would rather take the risk on a higher risk, higher reward center while we have the chance. That's all I'm saying.
I'll agree that Strome represents the single greatest need of this team since Mats left, but I see him as higher risk and not necessarily higher reward. Having Rielly and Hanifin playing on opposite pairings for the next 15 years represents 50 minutes a game where a potential game changing player is on the ice controlling tempo, pace and play.
We're gonna stink next year too might as well just take BPA as they come not try and fit square pegs into round holes.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bob Mckenzie said Hanifin fills a bigger need than Strome does to the Oil.

Means if we are likely left with the Center Strome or the winger Marner as our pick. If we pick 5 and in.

NotSince67*

Just curious but how many people here have watched Hanifin in NCAA action and are basing their decisions based on that? I have a feeling there are many who are saying things and haven't really bothered to watch him play.

NotSince67*

And really in regards to Hanifin, I don't think all the hype here is justified. There seems to be a lot of projecting of his ability based on his draft ranking and not from anything concrete. No scouting service I have come across has spoken about Hanifin as a future #1D man, a franchise defenseman. I've seen projections as a "top pairing" defenseman... but that's not that same as a #1 horse.

Really, with Hanifin, I don't see that AT ALL. I see a good defenseman, good size, very mobile with good feet and good footwork and edges. He has good acceleration and lateral mobility. However, his speed in full stride is not elite and is probably just above average for a d-man. So Duncan Keith comparisons... just no.

He's also not a dominating player as many people here have tried to claim he is. In fact he's very vanilla. He's safe, he's simple. He has poise with the puck under pressure makes simple and safe decisions. But what he doesn't do is dominate a game. Through watching a handful he's not like a Chara or Weber or Ekblad who simply snuffs out anything from happening. He's also not a player like Keith or Karlsson who's a free-wheeling d-man who can skate the puck up the ice and has a dynamic element to his game.

As a prospect he's more akin to a Stuart Percy except gifted with natural physical gifts that PErcy never has. Same game, same approach, but now you add the size, skating and hands that Percy never had. If you wanted a BEST CASE he's vanilla like a Nik Lidstrom.

Having said that it's unlikely for a player like that to really become a game-changing defenseman. What I do see if a guy who can play on the top pairing with a guy who's more of an elite offensive talent. He also can be the driving force on a second pairing as a guy who really is responsible but transitions the puck well. What I wouldn't expect from him is a guy who really can take over a game.

I think if you're looking at a defenceman who really has that #1 upside who can really take over a game and impose his will, it's Ivan Provorov. I also think it's no surprise that Hanifin isn't a clear cut top defender of the class, and there are camps who BOTH believe Werenski and Provorov are better prospects on the back end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
And really in regards to Hanifin, I don't think all the hype here is justified. There seems to be a lot of projecting of his ability based on his draft ranking and not from anything concrete. No scouting service I have come across has spoken about Hanifin as a future #1D man, a franchise defenseman. I've seen projections as a "top pairing" defenseman... but that's not that same as a #1 horse.

Really, with Hanifin, I don't see that AT ALL. I see a good defenseman, good size, very mobile with good feet and good footwork and edges. He has good acceleration and lateral mobility. However, his speed in full stride is not elite and is probably just above average for a d-man. So Duncan Keith comparisons... just no.

He's also not a dominating player as many people here have tried to claim he is. In fact he's very vanilla. He's safe, he's simple. He has poise with the puck under pressure makes simple and safe decisions. But what he doesn't do is dominate a game. Through watching a handful he's not like a Chara or Weber or Ekblad who simply snuffs out anything from happening. He's also not a player like Keith or Karlsson who's a free-wheeling d-man who can skate the puck up the ice and has a dynamic element to his game.

As a prospect he's more akin to a Stuart Percy except gifted with natural physical gifts that PErcy never has. Same game, same approach, but now you add the size, skating and hands that Percy never had. If you wanted a BEST CASE he's vanilla like a Nik Lidstrom.

Having said that it's unlikely for a player like that to really become a game-changing defenseman. What I do see if a guy who can play on the top pairing with a guy who's more of an elite offensive talent. He also can be the driving force on a second pairing as a guy who really is responsible but transitions the puck well. What I would expect from him is a guy who really can take over a game.

I think if you're looking at a defenceman who really has that #1 upside who can really take over a game and impose his will, it's Ivan Provorov. I also think it's no surprise that Hanifin isn't a clear cut top defender of the class, and there are camps who BOTH believe Werenski and Provorov are better prospects on the back end.

You should get hold of all the scouting services who don't agree with you and tell them they're wrong. maybe you can talk them into it the way you did yourself

NotSince67*

You should get hold of all the scouting services who don't agree with you and tell them they're wrong. maybe you can talk them into it the way you did yourself

Which has stated Hanifin as a franchise or number one defenseman? I see him ranked high but that isn't saying he's franchise or #1 potential, just the top defender.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Bob Mckenzie said Hanifin fills a bigger need than Strome does to the Oil.

Means if we are likely left with the Center Strome or the winger Marner as our pick. If we pick 5 and in.

Oilers will take Hanifin at #3.

It will be interesting if the oilers win the lottery, and Arizona has the 3rd pick.

Coyotes really need a #1 center.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
If Hanifin is available at our pick, we take him and RUN.

Strome is good, but Hanifin is really really good.

Also, I take Marner before Strome as well.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Having said that it's unlikely for a player like that to really become a game-changing defenseman. What I do see if a guy who can play on the top pairing with a guy who's more of an elite offensive talent. He also can be the driving force on a second pairing as a guy who really is responsible but transitions the puck well. What I would expect from him is a guy who really can take over a game.

Yeah, because ending up with a safe, unflashy Ryan Suter type is just awful. If you had a chance at the next Suter at 3, you take it.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010

Love to know where you read your scouting reports. The only scouting reports I've seen have called Hanifin the next great US defenseman... :help:

NotSince67*

I think you guys are getting me wrong here. I'm not saying this dude is a dud, or that he's not very good. I'm saying realistically, he's not going to be that dynamic offensive gamebreaker who's going to generate eye-popping NHL totals like Subban or Karlsson. If you look at the threads on Hanifin a common comparable that comes up is Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester. While not exactly on the same level Pietrangelo is kinda sort of in a discussion if you compiled a top 10, Bouwmeester isn't. Same with another comparable I've seen, Brent Seabrook.

Reality is, he's not a dud. He's quite possibly a top pairing d-man and correcting for poor development is at least a strong second pairing defenseman.

But he IS NOT, I can't stress this enough, likely to become the second coming of Scott Niedermayer. He's obviously not going to be an imposing game-changer like Pronger or Chara who can turn teams into contenders.

Just want to temper some of the hype on here that he's going to next big thing where he's probably on the level of an all-star but not a Norris trophy winner/finalist.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
^

What do you think about a D core built around Morgan Rielly and Noah Hanifin? And if we're lucky Jakub Chychrun, whom I believe is even better than Hanifin.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I think you guys are getting me wrong here. I'm not saying this dude is a dud, or that he's not very good. I'm saying realistically, he's not going to be that dynamic offensive gamebreaker who's going to generate eye-popping NHL totals like Subban or Karlsson. If you look at the threads on Hanifin a common comparable that comes up is Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester. While not exactly on the same level Pietrangelo is kinda sort of in a discussion if you compiled a top 10, Bouwmeester isn't. Same with another comparable I've seen, Brent Seabrook.

Reality is, he's not a dud. He's quite possibly a top pairing d-man and correcting for poor development is at least a strong second pairing defenseman.

But he IS NOT, I can't stress this enough, likely to become the second coming of Scott Niedermayer. He's obviously not going to be an imposing game-changer like Pronger or Chara who can turn teams into contenders.

Just want to temper some of the hype on here that he's going to next big thing where he's probably on the level of an all-star but not a Norris trophy winner/finalist.

Why can't he win a Norris? Everyone knows the Norris is about the best offensive defenseman now. That doesn't matter. We all know depth is what wins now. If we can have 3 top pairing defenseman, you do it. This team has a weakness at EVERY position. Chances are, Hanifin turns into more of a game changer then Strome. Maybe not on the score sheet, but in terms of the impact on a single game or series, it's Hanifin. That's not to take away from Strome's potential, but people are too focused on scoring goals and developing an offense, when it wasn't too long ago we were preaching from the net out.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
^

What do you think about a D core built around Morgan Rielly and Noah Hanifin? And if we're lucky Jakub Chychrun, whom I believe is even better than Hanifin.

But then we'll become Nashville. Nobody wants to be Nashville :sarcasm:

Rielly, Hanifin and Chychrun all together for a rebuild would be nuts. In 4-5 years we probably have the best D core in the league. We'd have to hope Nylander can pan out and become a #1 center, while also hoping for some other surprises to also pan out like Brown, Leivo, Johnson, Verhaeghe etc.

Rufio65*

Having said that it's unlikely for a player like that to really become a game-changing defenseman. What I do see if a guy who can play on the top pairing with a guy who's more of an elite offensive talent. He also can be the driving force on a second pairing as a guy who really is responsible but transitions the puck well. What I wouldn't expect from him is a guy who really can take over a game.

Really good post. Agreed 100% with pretty much everything here. Provorov isn't getting enough respect IMO. His stock is only going up, he is an absolute stud.

I don't want Hanifin and I don't think that he's a fit here. Provorov is the perfect compliment to Rielly if they believe that Rielly can be a top pairing guy. Selecting Provorov also accelerates the rebuild because he is NHL ready.

So Truculent

Da Real MVP
Jun 30, 2011
Leafs Nation
I just don't think there is a gap in Hanifin to Strome/Marner like some think, especially when you go look at ISS rankings and they put Crouse at #3 ahead of Hanifin, Strome, and Marner...I think this gap and Hanifin being for sure BPA at #3 is just a myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad