Strome or Hanifin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluejaysfan*

I think you guys are getting me wrong here. I'm not saying this dude is a dud, or that he's not very good. I'm saying realistically, he's not going to be that dynamic offensive gamebreaker who's going to generate eye-popping NHL totals like Subban or Karlsson. If you look at the threads on Hanifin a common comparable that comes up is Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester. While not exactly on the same level Pietrangelo is kinda sort of in a discussion if you compiled a top 10, Bouwmeester isn't. Same with another comparable I've seen, Brent Seabrook.

Reality is, he's not a dud. He's quite possibly a top pairing d-man and correcting for poor development is at least a strong second pairing defenseman.

But he IS NOT, I can't stress this enough, likely to become the second coming of Scott Niedermayer. He's obviously not going to be an imposing game-changer like Pronger or Chara who can turn teams into contenders.

Just want to temper some of the hype on here that he's going to next big thing where he's probably on the level of an all-star but not a Norris trophy winner/finalist.

I think some people, you included that are coming to faults with Hanifin are missing something very important. He plays in a system that isn't really catered to high-octane offense ala Doughty with the Kings. Now Doughty has the talent to probably put up Karlsson/Subban esque numbers but he doesn't need to and plays the safe game while still putting good numbers.

Watching Rielly and Hanifin skating together would be a sight to see for sure. Hanifin is probably the best skating D-man in the draft since Rielly.

Stacker29

Feb 17, 2015
I trust Hanifin more to be a franchise dman than I trust Strome to be a franchise C.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A Defence featuring Rielly/Hanifin/Gardiner is going to be one hell of a group. The mobility is tremendous. Find the right partner for Gardiner (a true stay at home type) and we 'be got ourselves a future top four every team would be jealous of.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I just don't think there is a gap in Hanifin to Strome/Marner like some think, especially when you go look at ISS rankings and they put Crouse at #3 ahead of Hanifin, Strome, and Marner...I think this gap and Hanifin being for sure BPA at #3 is just a myth.

Hanifin/Marner

Strome

That is what the gap really is imo. You take Hanifin before Strome every day of the week.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
I'm really curious how this debate got started, wasn't Hanifin the consensus #3 the whole season? what happened in the past couple weeks to put Strome over the top?

Shwaguy*

I'm really curious how this debate got started, wasn't Hanifin the consensus #3 the whole season? what happened in the past couple weeks to put Strome over the top?

Strome had 6 point game. People realizing how skilled and driven Marner is

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
#1 Center will come in 2016.
Stamkos UFA & in his prime.
Or win the draft lottery.
Good times.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hanifin is controlling the game versus men aged 21-23 at the ripe age of just barely 18. He and eichel are the two best ncaa prospects since toews. he has Niedermayer all over him imo. Strome? Could be jumbo joe mixed with Eric Staal, could be Jason Spezza with Allison's feet. I'm always skeptical of taking guys who play in secondary roles at the top of a draft.
Build from the net out. Also I think there are some legit high ceilings guys available with nsh pick. Take BPA always and Strome isn't even the best forward after McEichel.

Yeah but college "men" tend to resemble Tyler Bozak...

Bluejaysfan*

Even the bad players in the NCAA are 2-4 years older, wiser and more physically gifted than 18 year old Hanifin. I compare playing in the NCAA to playing in the AHL for a younger player. Sure the talent level might be less but there are bigger, more physically developed bodies that you have to learn to play against.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015

Yeah and Chl players are what then.....

Leafs don't have much of a system, hanifin could put up good Numbers with them, especially since we're going nowhere fast
And pairing with Reilly and playing top line pp mins ...he could have a ekblad rookie season maybe better, just depends where he gets drafted and where/ how much he plays

Bluejaysfan*

Yeah and Chl players are what then.....

Leafs don't have much of a system, hanifin could put up good Numbers with them, especially since we're going nowhere fast
And pairing with Reilly and playing top line pp mins ...he could have a ekblad rookie season maybe better, just depends where he gets drafted and where/ how much he plays

I don't let Hanifin play for the Leafs next year. 1 year of NCAA play while staring in the WJC at least.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not saying we shouldn't pick Hanifin ahead of Strome, but I'm not a huge NCAA fan in general, and I don't think I'd make the case that those kids playing in college are somehow physical specimens.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Yeah about hanifin playing, I was just saying if he's ready whenever that may be one year or two etc. ....
That he could put up good Numbers, not like we need him to put up 70+ points but more a career 40-60+ in todays nhl
While playing solid defense

Also like a similar post above ncaa hockey is similar to ahl hockey while not quite as good still a step up from Chl and if he can play amazing in ncaa it's more to go of then playing amazing in Chl, hanny is ranked at #3 for a reason

As for who I'd take personally it's tough to say but wouldn't mind any of hanny/strome/marner in the blue and white
We are not going to be good any time soon so what we don't accomplish in this year's draft we accomplish next year and the year after etc. ...

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

The Strome-Marner poll where people picked one player and bashed the other was just as silly, considering there's a 50% chance we won't even get to choose between the two at #5. Even by finishing 4th last, the odds of dropping to 5th pick by lottery is essentially flipping a coin and choosing heads or tails.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
The Strome-Marner poll where people picked one player and bashed the other was just as silly, considering there's a 50% chance we won't even get to choose between the two at #5. Even by finishing 4th last, the odds of dropping to 5th pick by lottery is essentially flipping a coin and choosing heads or tails.

People didn't really bash either player in that topic. Facts we're brought up (Stromes speed, Marners size, and position (even though he's a center lol)) and basically the discussion was about which flaw was greater.

Anyway I'm honestly speechless that this poll is so close. In the main board both Hanifin and Marner seem to be rated higher then Strome (with Marner having talks about going 3rd). This fanbase misses Sundin so much that they'll take a player that resembles him, even if there seems to be better options.

CrazyCanuck89

Oct 9, 2013
St.Thomas
Yeah about hanifin playing, I was just saying if he's ready whenever that may be one year or two etc. ....
That he could put up good Numbers, not like we need him to put up 70+ points but more a career 40-60+ in todays nhl
While playing solid defense

Also like a similar post above ncaa hockey is similar to ahl hockey while not quite as good still a step up from Chl and if he can play amazing in ncaa it's more to go of then playing amazing in Chl, hanny is ranked at #3 for a reason

As for who I'd take personally it's tough to say but wouldn't mind any of hanny/strome/marner in the blue and white
We are not going to be good any time soon so what we don't accomplish in this year's draft we accomplish next year and the year after etc. ...

Look at all the quality players in the NHL that played in the CHL and then look at the ones who played in the NCAA. You will see that the CHL is the much better league.

Audi*

Nov 22, 2009
I'm going to go with Strome as well. we may not have the chance to draft 4th overall again any time soon.. gotta go with the big #1c

Stacker29

Feb 17, 2015
I think it's fantastic that we're in line to walk away very happy, regardless of which guy we get.

My biggest fear was us sitting 7-8 come draft day...if we're in line for the second tier of top talent (which it appears we are) I truly don't believe we can miss on any of Hanifin/Strome/Marner. Should be a great day in Leaf land.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I think it's fantastic that we're in line to walk away very happy, regardless of which guy we get.

My biggest fear was us sitting 7-8 come draft day...if we're in line for the second tier of top talent (which it appears we are) I truly don't believe we can miss on any of Hanifin/Strome/Marner. Should be a great day in Leaf land.

Exactly.

If we get a top 5 pick and choose one of Marner/Strome/Hanifin, I will be a very happy person. Can't really go wrong with either of those 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad