Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The Blues have always had a good eye for Dmen. If they were willing to overpay on an offer sheet for Broberg then I'm pretty sure there's a good chance that he becomes a valuable top 4 Dman.
Torey Krug begs to differ. Vince Dunn as well.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think it's a shrewd move to target a team that's stretched on the cap. If you think GMs or teams are 1)really that upset about Bowman or 2)would operate their multimillion dollar business based on grievances then I disagree.

Sucks for the Oilers! But I don't think it's some sort of a gotcha type punishment for hiring Bowman. I would expect the seeds of this whole thing were planted some time ago

I don't think it's purely about being pissed that Bowman got hired but I also don't think this happens if Ken Holland is still GM, because it's known that Holland and Armstrong are close

Reactions: Godfather

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think it's purely about being pissed that Bowman got hired but I also don't think this happens if Ken Holland is still GM, because it's known that Holland and Armstrong are close
The reports were that Holland had no interest in signing them so early, maybe Armstrong knew that. Could be an offer sheet based on the information Holland gave him

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He means after. Match offer, waive Broberg, sharks claim off waivers and trade prospect for future considerations.
The NHL would go berzerk if there was such obvious collusions like this. Both the Oilers and Sharks would be fined millions and they'd each forfeit several 1st round picks a piece.

But go for it!

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Id love for the Habs to get paid a second to take Kulak back and then flip Kulak later on for another second.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Well if no one claimes him 2.5 still go against the cap
No. You can still attach a high draft pick to trade Kulak. And his AAV is $2.75MM. No way the Oilers would put that guy in the AHL.

The reports were that Holland had no interest in signing them so early, maybe Armstrong knew that. Could be an offer sheet based on the information Holland gave him
Reports are also clear that Broberg had no interest in negotiating when he was in the AHL and wanted to see the season conclude and only focus on his contract over the summer/this summer. The Oilers didn't punt... Broberg punted too. I bet Holloway did as well.

Lets be fair to the Oilers former GM. It takes two to tango and Broberg didn't want to dance either.

Broberg did the thing you want to see from young guys with confidence in themselves. he bet on himself... played way above expectations in the NHL playoffs and earned a monster raise. Broberg... take a bow dawg.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If the Oilers had Broberg signed at 4.6 million for the next 2 years and offered him around the league, how many teams would offer a 2nd or more for him? It's a serious overpay right now and if he has a good year then he'll have incredible value next summer but if he doesn't progress after a full season in the NHL then he won't have any value at that cap hit.
Which sure makes it a challenge/risk for the Oilers to match that $4.6MM/per contract doesn't it.

Also that the Oilers couldn't shop him around until late August 2025 when all the other offseason dominoes of 2025 will have fallen and it was too late to Edmonton's purposes.

There is a ton of risk in the Oilers matching that offer-sheet to Broberg. We agree there.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Bromberg play did not justify this contract

Well yeah, that's kind of the point of an offer sheet ... You overpay enough to where you might have a chance to get him, whether due to cost or compensation or both. If you just offered "fair" value the compensation would be so low and the cap implications so minimal that the other team would simply match.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
And if NHL has any justice with how Stevens to Devils went down, we'd be rewarded Bouchard as a Broberg replacement.
I think the only satisfaction St Louis would get is seeing the Oilers lose their next four 1st round picks and get hit with a $10MM fine.

A moot point however. The Oilers have two options and they know it.

1. Match the offer sheet(s) and keep the player(s) thru late August 2025 or
2. Take the draft pick(s).

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
The NHL would go berzerk if there was such obvious collusions like this. Both the Oilers and Sharks would be fined millions and they'd each forfeit several 1st round picks a piece.

But go for it!
I mean obviously, just funny to think about.

Oilers won’t match, broberg wasn’t worth a 2nd when he was shopped earlier in the year. Nothing has changed really and hard to glean anything from a small sample size of games, so take the pick and move on from a player that doesn’t want to be there and is being overpaid by 3-4X.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
The Rams belong in LA. They had been there for almost their entire history until their owner decided she wanted a team in her hometown of St Louis.

So while they did "lose" their team, it went back to its rightful home.
10 years in Cleveland and 21 in St Louis vs 49 in LA prior to the latest move is not remotely "almost their entire history"

Reactions: Mike Liut

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
He didnt force poo. He is dping

artworks-BNTaae0ucAAZ6LD7-4jTvUQ-t500x500.jpg

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Be interesting to see what, if anything the Oilers can do to clear space.

You have to think other teams will want an asset attached to either Ceci or Kulak but the problem with that is the Oilers don't have a 1st or 2nd in 2025.

So what do they do? do those teams say "OK we want your 2026 1st?"

Would they settle for a 2026 2nd?

Or a top prospect like Sam O'Reilly?

Or Matt Savoie?

Or do the Oilers just not pay a sweetner and lose the players?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Tampa or possibly florida who knows. Just dont expect everthing to work out rember how that worked out two offer sheets broberg is gonna look good in blue

He wants a legit shot at pkaying top 4 minutes who woukdnt. Edm front office "hry kid we need you to take a baxk seat get limited play time maybee go back to ahl and take a measly 1 mil a year so we can contend". Broberg wants to play and have a larger role. Its asinine to stunt his career and eranings cause they want him too. He gone maybee the front office should
This hurt my brain

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Be interesting to see what, if anything the Oilers can do to clear space.

You have to think other teams will want an asset attached to either Ceci or Kulak but the problem with that is the Oilers don't have a 1st or 2nd in 2025.

So what do they do? do those teams say "OK we want your 2026 1st?"

Would they settle for a 2026 2nd?

Or a top prospect like Sam O'Reilly?

Or Matt Savoie?

Or do the Oilers just not pay a sweetner and lose the players?
Dude, it won't take a 1st round pick to trade Ceci or Kulak :laugh:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The Blues have always had a good eye for Dmen. If they were willing to overpay on an offer sheet for Broberg then I'm pretty sure there's a good chance that he becomes a valuable top 4 Dman.

Huh?

-We let Pietrangelo walk and soon after he was 1D on a cup winner.
- Signed Krug who we later tried to pay Philly to take
-Gave Perunivich every opportunity on our team and now are signing every LD in existence to nuke him off our depth chart
-We protected Krug over Dunn in the expansion draft and Dunn is top pair in Seattle
-We let Mikkola go with no effort to keep him and he was top 4 on a cup winner

Aside from drafting Parayko, and trading for Leddy (who we traded Walman who was servicable on top pair for Detroit) what have we done to show we have an eye for D talent?

Bro.. Broberg isn't under contract with the Oilers. He was a restricted free agent. They can't waive a guy that isn't under contract with the Oilers. It's that simple.

Broberg is under contract with St Louis Blues. The only option Edmonton has is to match the offer sheet via ROFR or take the 2nd round pick when Broberg becomes property of the Blues Tuesday morning at 7am.

Yeah, but hear me out, they could ignore all that, say pretty please and come up with a convoluted plan to make it all work out because they are the Oilers and they are very, very special.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad