Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You could acquire a cheap 7th D or 12th forward and get double retention on said player (so 1 mill down to $250k) and run 12F + 7D, or by the time Kane is back someone else might just be on the LTIR.
And if no one else is on LTIR (or sufficient LTIR to accommodate Kane)? You can't just hope someone gets injured. lol

What happens if Kane doesn't do the surgery?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And if no one else is on LTIR (or sufficient LTIR to accommodate Kane)? You can't just hope someone gets injured. lol

What happens if Kane doesn't do the surgery?

I just answered the question, if you have both Kane and Holloway in the lineup, acquire a cheap forward or 7th D who has a salary of say 900k in January/Feb or whenever Kane is back.

Now pay a few penauts and get double retention on that nothing contract, which will bring that salary down to like 225k. Now you are cap compliant. You'll have to waive Perry, but Perry can just say (as other veteran players have in the past) that he will retire if anyone else selects him.

Then when the playoffs start or if anyone else gets on the LTIR, you can recall Perry if that's what you want.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
That's my point, GM'S KNOW what position the Oilers are in, they aren't going to help the Oilers for free, Just look at what Dubas has done for proof, he got a 2nd for taking on Kevin Hayes, and a 3rd and a 6th for taking on Cody Glass.

I don't like Dubas as a GM, I think he's overall really bad at his job but he got Kevin Hayes, Cody Glass, a 2nd, 3rd and 6th for essentially nothing that's tidy GM work, we will see what Dubas does with those picks, he probably trades them but on it's own that's tidy GM work.

Cody Ceci is around the same Price as Hayes and Kulak is older, more expensive and signed longer term than Glass.

Edmonton will have to Sweeten the pot just like the Blues and Nashville did.

But Edmonton doesn't have their 2025 1st or 2nd so they are in an even tougher spot, it's not like it's going to be any cheaper for them then it was for Nashville or the Blues, it won't be especially with Kulak because he's got term.

Edmonton is going to need to get creative, or lose 2 young players.

I think Edmonton keeps Halloway and let's Broberg go. It sucks but hey don't use all your salary cap till RFAs signed.

Think about this even more.

Kevin Hayes for a 2nd.
Blues ask for the 2nd back 2nd and 3rd for 2nd and 5th.

So a 5th round + cap space = 1 2nd 2 3rds and a 6th with Hayes and Glass.

I have to think Kulak would have to be some 2027 2nd or some shit. Or 2 3rd rounders.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
They'll keep Holloway, let Broberg walk and pocket the 2nd which they they can then use at the deadline to bring in some one else as part of a package.

I don't think the Oilers have any interest in moving Ceci, he was a big part of a historic PK in the playoffs that just shut teams down and when he is with Kulak and not with Nurse his metrics are actually good and he shows up big in game 7s. Two goals and 1 primary assist in three game 7s for the Oilers is huge production for any D.

There would be interest in that player if teams are doing backflips over the Oilers sloppy seconds like Desharnais and a Broberg who's played like maybe 8 good NHL games in his career. These guys are getting far bigger contracts simply because the team was in a Cup final.
Vinny is certainly not sloppy seconds and having him right now would be a blessing.

It's funny Cuz you used to talk so highly of him and Broberg but now ones a sloppy seconds and the other is overrated. Typical oilers fan shitting on a player the minute he's gone.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I just answered the question, if you have both Kane and Holloway in the lineup, acquire a cheap forward or 7th D who has a salary of say 900k in January/Feb or whenever Kane is back.

Now pay a few penauts and get double retention on that contract, which will bring that salary down to like 225k. Now you are cap compliant. You'll have to waive Perry, but Perry can just say (as other veteran players have in the past) that he will retire if anyone else selects him.
With Kane and Holloway, i calculate the Oilers are 1.8M over the cap. And that's with 13 forwards and 6 dman.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
But everybodys know they will match on Holloway. How on Earth wouldn't they?
1. Because they don't need more forward depth as much as defensive players?
2. Because $2.3MM is still more than they want to pay for him and they are over the cap
3. Because he doesn't want to be an Oiler.
4. Because he can't be traded until August of 2025 if they match

Those are a handful of reasons why they may not. I suspect they will, but who knows. He's not a big a need. I'm sure the Oilers wished the offer sheets were flipped and Holloway signed the $4.6MM one and Broberg was on the 2.3MM one. That would have made the two decisions much easier. A 3rd round pick is a crappy return for this player. That likely annoys the Oilers since it's not much of a trade chip. The 2nd for Broberg is a better deadline asset to move for bottom six help.

St Louis really did a number on the Oilers here. Really well thought out and savage. Well played wasn't it. Oilers get hurt in every scenario.

• Wow
Reactions: Godfather

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think it's plausible that Oilers management decides they are in a true win now mode, so a couple vets on free agent market or trade would be better for next 1-2 years than Broberg and Holloway, and then they can further add at the deadline with the 2nd and 3rd round picks that they would gain.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I think it's plausible that Oilers management decides they are in a true win now mode, so a couple vets on free agent market or trade would be better for next 1-2 years than Broberg and Holloway, and then they can further add at the deadline with the 2nd and 3rd round picks that they would gain.
The issue is if they have to go the LTIR route, they won’t have cap space to add anyone at the deadline. You need to be cap compliant to accrue cap.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think the Oilers will walk away from both players. To me, they are too handcuffed to accept either offersheet.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The issue is if they have to go the LTIR route, they won’t have cap space to add anyone at the deadline. You need to be cap compliant to accrue cap.
You can always get creative enough at the deadline to bring people in. Multiple teams retaining, dumping the player that they'd be replacing, etc.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
McLeod just returned a top 10 pick ... these guys are all getting way more because they were in a Cup Final (well in Desharnais case, eating popcorn in the press box, lol) than where they were a few months ago.

It's a massive inflationary effect, there's no reason to think several GMs wouldn't jump all over a Cody Ceci who was a more central player and a huge part of the PK.

The Oilers don't want to move him, especially when he's not with Nurse, he's a perfectly solid RD for them. For 3 million bucks you're not getting something better on the open market even if you could rewind to July 1.
McLeod is a pretty dang good 3C that’s 24. I’d have traded the Avs 2024 first for him if they had cap space to sign him (they don’t). He’s better than a Ross Colton. And cheaper.

Good player. Great size and skating ability. Can play PK. Ok in the dot. The oilers will miss him.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
You can always get creative enough at the deadline to bring people in. Multiple teams retaining, dumping the player that they'd be replacing, etc.
Certainly, but to improve the roster it’ll all have to be cap in/cap out + assets. If Edmonton is struggling to clear cap now, I don’t think it’ll be easier mid season

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
McLeod returned a guy who was recently taken 9th overall in the 2022 NHL draft. 9 months ago people were saying the Oilers would have to pay to get someone to take McLeod's salary.
McLeod had a rough start to that season, but dug himself out of that. Otherwise he's been, on the whole... a good player the past several seasons for the Oilers.

He averaged 14 minutes a game in the playoffs. He was an important player for Edmonton. The coaches played him a bunch and in all situations.

Look Up

Let me tell you about my Celica again
Oct 3, 2013
He was good from the start, Hedman was just in a defensive role, he broke out offensively once they put him in a more offensive role.
Once Guy Boucher got let go and Hedman got PP time instead of Boucher favorite Marc Andre Bergeron.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Omg I had no idea. I don’t follow American football. It’s always a gut punch when a small market team loses their franchise to a big money metropolis. Hopefully the Rams don’t win the SuperBowl soon.
Wait til this guy hears what the Montreal Expos have been up to

• Wow
Reactions: dukeofjive

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
McLeod is a pretty dang good 3C that’s 24. I’d have traded the Avs 2024 first for him if they had cap space to sign him (they don’t). He’s better than a Ross Colton. And cheaper.

Good player. Great size and skating ability. Can play PK. Ok in the dot. The oilers will miss him.
Exactly. While different, it's not unlike guys like Sunny or Barbashev after our Cup run. I would've have traded what Buffalo did, but I absolutely would've wanted McLeod on the Blues.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
McLeod just returned a top 10 pick ... these guys are all getting way more because they were in a Cup Final (well in Desharnais case, eating popcorn in the press box, lol) than where they were a few months ago.

It's a massive inflationary effect, there's no reason to think several GMs wouldn't jump all over a Cody Ceci who was a more central player and a huge part of the PK.

The Oilers don't want to move him, especially when he's not with Nurse, he's a perfectly solid RD for them. For 3 million bucks you're not getting something better on the open market even if you could rewind to July 1.
The timing of moving Ceci before the offer sheets is the reason Edmonton can't trade thru next Tuesday.

No team needs Ceci for the big game next weekend. No team needs Ceci in August at all. They can wait out the offer sheet window and no cost to them. So Ceci won't be traded prior to Tuesday unless the Oilers attach a sweetener. Has nothing to do with Ceci's value or lack of it. Everything to do with timing. There is 0 urgency for any other team to make trade with Edmonton this week thru next Tuesday morning. ZERO urgency.

The only team with any sort of time crunch in the NHL right now is the Oilers.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The timing of moving Ceci before the offer sheets is the reason Edmonton can't trade thru next Tuesday.

No team needs Ceci for the big game next weekend. No team needs Ceci in August at all. They can wait out the offer sheet window and no cost to them. So Ceci won't be traded prior to Tuesday unless the Oilers attach a sweetener. Has nothing to do with Ceci's value or lack of it. Everything to do with timing. There is 0 urgency for any other team to make trade with Edmonton this week thru next Tuesday morning. ZERO urgency.

The only team with any sort of time crunch in the NHL right now is the Oilers.
They can match without trading Ceci, but it essentially kicks the can down the road on that trade until they have to submit their roster. Doesn't really help them in terms of leverage, but they would technically have more time, would add more risk since they would've have the option of not matching anymore.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
They can match without trading Ceci, but it essentially kicks the can down the road on that trade until they have to submit their roster. Doesn't really help them in terms of leverage, but they would technically have more time, would add more risk since they would've have the option of not matching anymore.
Yes. All their options are problematic thanks to St Louis. No clean solutions.

They match both and they still must make trades and teams can continue to wait them out.

Also Kane isn’t playing for them in the regular season. And no cap space accrues with guys on LTIR so that limits trade options during the season.

Another set of problem’s thanks to these offersheets. It’s hilarious what Broberg and Holloway did here.

Reactions: Godfather

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yes. All their options are problematic thanks to St Louis. No clean solutions.

They match both and they still must make trades and Kane isn’t playing for them in the regular season. Which is it’s own problem.
And then the real possibility that Broberg flops. We can handle that since playoffs isn't crucial for us, but if Broberg doesn't play at 2nd pair level, that's a major issue.

• Love
Reactions: McJedi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
And then the real possibility that Broberg flops. We can handle that since playoffs isn't crucial for us, but if Broberg doesn't play at 2nd pair level, that's a major issue.
St Louis made the offseason for me. I’ve been waiting years for a team to use offer sheets correctly. It finally happened here and it happened to exactly the team I’d hoped would get targeted with them.

No space, cup dreams, old roster and annoying. The team that tendered them offered meager compensation too. Just one dollar below a 1st rounder on Broberg. One dollars below a 2nd on Holloway. So savage.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
McLeod returned a guy who was recently taken 9th overall in the 2022 NHL draft. 9 months ago people were saying the Oilers would have to pay to get someone to take McLeod's salary.
Yeah, that was GM of a desperate Buffalo. Traded Mittelstadt for no good reason and then traded for worse centre.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What's even worse for Edmonton is they can't really afford to lose these players because these are the oldest team in the league.
Meh. Being old isn't that bad.

Usually the bonus to having youth on your roster is they're cheap. Broberg/Holloway are going to be overpaid by a mile now, so that doesn't really apply here.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Meh. Being old isn't that bad.

Usually the bonus to having youth on your roster is they're cheap. Broberg/Holloway are going to be overpaid by a mile now, so that doesn't really apply here.
Yep, and that's the trap that they could end up in. Once the raises to Draisaitl, Bouchard, and to an extent McDavid as he's already on a large salary, it's going to get a lot more difficult to put together a team with solid depth that can win. Luckily, McDavid and Draisaitl are 2 of the players that are capable of carrying a team, but Broberg and Holloway quickly go from young guys that are nice when they contribute to players that need to contribute, especially Broberg.

Maxmizing this season and next is when their Cup window will be most open IMO.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad