Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Dude, it won't take a 1st round pick to trade Ceci or Kulak :laugh:
You say that... but TSN is reporting today that is exactly what teams are asking from the Oilers. So TSN disagrees with your laughing emoji.

I think Ceci would get claimed if the Oilers waived him so I'm not disagreeing with your thought Ceci is moveable at low or not cost to Edmonton. I believe a few teams would claim him off waivers at not cost to the Oilers to dump his full AAV.

I am just pointing out TSN is reporting what teams are seeking, knowing Edmonton is over the barrel. So a leverage play right now. And that should not be a laughing matter for the Oilers.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Edmonton is probably going to match both and then trade them in a year for a better return.
The problem is the timing. They can't trade them until late August 2025.

How many trades did the NHL have this August? The NHL trade window is around the draft in June and thru the early stages of free agency in early July... then we enter the dead period where team rosters are mostly set (mid July). The Oilers are going to need a top of cap space to resign Drai and Bouchard... Doubt they let Bouchard dangle as a RFA. And these two contracts will be unmovable in the window the NHL does summer business. So they can't trade these guys when they'll need the cap space on their other free agents.

It was really toxic what St Louis sent the Oilers. It's rather debilitating.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They'll keep Holloway, let Broberg walk and pocket the 2nd which they they can then use at the deadline to bring in some one else as part of a package.

I don't think the Oilers have any interest in moving Ceci, he was a big part of a historic PK in the playoffs that just shut teams down and when he is with Kulak and not with Nurse his metrics are actually good and he shows up big in game 7s. Two goals and 1 primary assist in three game 7s for the Oilers is huge production for any D.

There would be interest in that player if teams are doing backflips over the Oilers sloppy seconds like Desharnais and a Broberg who's played like maybe 8 good NHL games in his career. These guys are getting far bigger contracts simply because the team was in a Cup final.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ceci and Kulak have very minimal value, it’s even worse with GMs knowing the position that the Oilers are in.

That's my point, GM'S KNOW what position the Oilers are in, they aren't going to help the Oilers for free, Just look at what Dubas has done for proof, he got a 2nd for taking on Kevin Hayes, and a 3rd and a 6th for taking on Cody Glass.

I don't like Dubas as a GM, I think he's overall really bad at his job but he got Kevin Hayes, Cody Glass, a 2nd, 3rd and 6th for essentially nothing that's tidy GM work, we will see what Dubas does with those picks, he probably trades them but on it's own that's tidy GM work.

Cody Ceci is around the same Price as Hayes and Kulak is older, more expensive and signed longer term than Glass.

Edmonton will have to Sweeten the pot just like the Blues and Nashville did.

But Edmonton doesn't have their 2025 1st or 2nd so they are in an even tougher spot, it's not like it's going to be any cheaper for them then it was for Nashville or the Blues, it won't be especially with Kulak because he's got term.

Edmonton is going to need to get creative, or lose 2 young players.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
what is puzzling about any of this?

These two young guys just got big pay raises. They used the CBA exactly how it's intended to be used to max out a player's earning potential. An NHL career is a handful of years long. I wouldn't waste many on playing for less than what the market would pay me.

Broberg just signed a life changing deal. Dude is making $9MM over the next two years. If he never plays again... He's made a ton of money that could see him live out a decent life back in Sweden (or any number of places).

Holloway pocketing $4.6MM (minus a lot in taxes) over the next two years still isn't shopping at DollarTree either.

But everybodys know they will match on Holloway. How on Earth wouldn't they?

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Tuesday 7am

He didnt force poo. He is dping whatd best for him maybee oil front office shouldnt have effed around and found out.

And that FAFO is indeed him forcing the Oil into a corner and doing what’s best for him - both can be true.

He signed an offer sheet, forcing the Oil into a 7-day time frame.

I’m in transit, so I can’t put Doug Armstrong’s head on the girl from The Ring, but you get the idea. :laugh:

[ATTACH type="full"]901473[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 1723843897856.gif
    1723843897856.gif
    38.8 KB · Views: 2

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Where did he say that? Is there another 32 thoughts podcast?
Both Ceci and Kulak were on the trade block prior to the offer sheets, I don’t see it getting any better for them value wise now.

with no cap coming back?

huh. i don't believe that is correct.
If that was true, he would already be gone.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Teams are willing to pay out the ass for Desharnais and Broberg who's played like 8 good games in his NHL life, lol.

Ceci was a bigger part of the Oilers D than either one of those guys.

Huge cog on a historic PK that shut down pretty much every PP they came against.

Scored a massive goal against Vancouver in game 7. Set up the primary goal in the Oilers game 7 against Florida. In 2022 scored a massive goal against LA in game 7.

He and Nurse are terrible together, but apart both of their metrics improve a lot.

3 mill for a right shot D who has Finals experience and is a great PK player is nothing these days, you can't find that player on the open market, Ceci more than likely is not available.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Teams are will to pay out the ass for Desharnais and Broberg who's played like 8 good games in his NHL life, lol.

Huge cog on a historic PK that shut down pretty much every PP they came against.

Scored a massive goal against Vancouver in game 7. Set up the primary goal in the Oilers game 7 against Florida. In 2022 scored a massive goal against LA in game 7.

He and Nurse are terrible together, but apart both of their metrics improve a lot.

3 mill for a right shot D who has Finals experience and is a great PK player is nothing these days, you can't find that player on the open market, Ceci more than likely is not available.
If the Oilers could trade Ceci, they would have by now for the cap relief. I don't see anyone coveting him - especially after the terrible year he had last year. A 3.3M and with the Oilers in cap-hell, GMs will tax the Oilers in any trade.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Yeah….this is a definitely a kick in the ding ding.

I don’t understand where some people are saying the Oilers had this coming or mismanagement this summer lead them here. They needed those two guys at a fair price for a couple more years. The two players obviously wanted more, so they didn’t do anything wrong by continued negotiations. RFA’s often don’t get done until late in the summer. It’s not like they intentionally avoided dealing with them or just fell asleep waiting until fall. The players are holding out for more money than the team could really afford to give.

Pretty much. A smart GM shouldn’t have trouble looking at the Oilers’ cap projections and the developmental stages and contracts of those two and figure out that they could complicate things for a conference rival and pick up young talent at the same time.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Teams are willing to pay out the ass for Desharnais and Broberg who's played like 8 good games in his NHL life, lol.

No one paid out the ass for VD, he was given bottom pairing money. Broberg is getting paid because St Louis knows it’ll cripple Edmonton current cap structure but has minimal effect on them. Broberg isn’t being paid based on skill, St Louis is taking advantage of cap strapped team.

Broberg flops in St Louis? No one will bat an eye since they don’t need the cap space over the next two years anyways.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No one paid out the ass for VD, he was given bottom pairing money. Broberg is getting paid because St Louis knows it’ll cripple Edmonton current cap structure but has minimal effect on them

McLeod just returned a top 10 pick ... these guys are all getting way more because they were in a Cup Final (well in Desharnais case, eating popcorn in the press box, lol) than where they were a few months ago.

It's a massive inflationary effect, there's no reason to think several GMs wouldn't jump all over a Cody Ceci who was a more central player and a huge part of the PK.

The Oilers don't want to move him, especially when he's not with Nurse, he's a perfectly solid RD for them. For 3 million bucks you're not getting something better on the open market even if you could rewind to July 1.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
McLeod just returned a top 10 pick ... these guys are all getting way more because they were in a Cup Final (well in Desharnais case, eating popcorn in the press box, lol) than where they were a few months ago.

It's a massive inflationary effect, there's no reason to think several GMs wouldn't jump all over a Cody Ceci who was a more central player and a huge part of the PK.

The Oilers don't want to move him, especially when he's not with Nurse, he's a perfectly solid RD for them. For 3 million bucks you're not getting something better on the open market even if you could rewind to July 1.
If the Oilers don't want to move him (i will humor you on that), then who are the Oilers moving to become cap compliant? Because Kane can't be moved.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Right, Broberg is being paid that simply because it's the max amount for draft pick compensation that we are willing to give, and with where we are at, we can handle massively overpaying for him. If he flops, we let him walk, and if he hits the next level, he'll get an extension for what he's actually worth at the end of this 2 year deal.

And if Ceci was better than Broberg last season, and obviously he was, I don't fully understanding trading him just to free cap for Broberg to continue to play Broberg on his offside where he struggles. Sure, Broberg is younger so in a sense it makes sense, but play him on his left and actually develop him.

The reason Ceci and Kulak will cost so much to dump is because teams know they have to dump them, so once you eliminate the teams that don't even want him as a player and teams that don't have the space, there won't be a ton left and those teams will want Edmonton to pay for it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What's even worse for Edmonton is they can't really afford to lose these players because these are the oldest team in the league.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

McLeod returned a prospect that was quickly falling down the depth charts for Buffalo. Draft position is pretty irrelevant if you’re struggling to make the lineup for a middling team like Buffalo

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If the Oilers don't want to move him (i will humor you on that), then who are the Oilers moving to become cap compliant?

No one. Kane will go on the LTIR, they will match Holloway most likely, and they'll let Broberg probably walk, take that 2nd round pick and use it as part of a package for an upgrade at the trade deadline.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

McLeod is also young and fills a role that Buffalo needs, a defensive center, it's not like McLeod was just some cap dump.

Reactions: McJedi

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And when Kane is re-activated? How do they make that work?

You could acquire a cheap dime a dozen 7th D or 12th forward and get double retention on said player (so 1 mill down to $250k) and run 12F + 7D, or by the time Kane is back someone else might just be on the LTIR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad