Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
When is the deadline for the Oilers?
Tuesday 7am

I actually think it goes the other way - Holloway or neither. I feel pretty confident Broberg is gone.

When a player goes from open trade request to an OS signing in a little under 9 calendar months, he’s telling you something.

He’s also being a “squeaky gear” who, upon seeing no progress made on his initial trade request, made a move to force the Oil into cap jeopardy or let him go on about as rigid of a randomly imposed timetable as it gets.
He didnt force poo. He is dping whatd best for him maybee oil front office shouldnt have effed around and found out.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Make him deny being a pig f***er.
Believe it or not, there was a play, and film, about the bolded called Futz.

Broberg is not out "to get" EDM, but simply working with his agent to get the best deal, and situation, for himself. I don't know about you, but if someone offers me 5M dollars more over a two year period of work for essentially the same thing (it can be argued that STL is a better place for him, as he won't have to play on his off side)after a career where I haven't made made much $$ at all, then I know what I am doing.

EDM either didn't value these two players, or took them for granted, and focussed on signing players like Perry and Skinner. They also traded away a "good soldier" (McLeod, a young guy who took less to stay in EDM)to a hapless organization. I mean, that's EDM's prerogative, but after seeing what went down this summer, can you really blame Holloway and Broberg for not wanting to stick around for a fraction of what they will be making in STL?

Last edited:

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
People setting themselves up for huge disappointment comparing Broberg’s situation to bouwmeester or Hedman. He’s a third pairing guy, 8 games of 95 on ice sv% with sub 40 xGF% doesn’t change that. He’s played well at the AHL level, but I’m not convinced he’s a cerebral enough player to translate it to the NHL.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If the Oilers had Broberg signed at 4.6 million for the next 2 years and offered him around the league, how many teams would offer a 2nd or more for him? It's a serious overpay right now and if he has a good year then he'll have incredible value next summer but if he doesn't progress after a full season in the NHL then he won't have any value at that cap hit.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the Oilers had Broberg signed at 4.6 million for the next 2 years and offered him around the league, how many teams would offer a 2nd or more for him? It's a serious overpay right now and if he has a good year then he'll have incredible value next summer but if he doesn't progress after a full season in the NHL then he won't have any value at that cap hit.
All true. But at his age, the buyout is 1/3, thus $1.5 mill cash (assuming it is all salary), and $750K dead cap per for 2 years. So, you'd free up $3.8 mill if he were to bomb this season from EDM pov.

STL, they'd play him for both seasons and make a decision on the QO at that point in time.

Reactions: stlwahoo

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Well, you need situation where team is hard up against cap. For it to work. I just used Bouchard as example. Didn't mean anything by it.

Could us Boston goalie this year as another exampleo. If a good team needing netminding offer him 10 million long term. Bruins be hard pressed to match.

They get Vezina caliber goalie for 7 years, all prime years. Give up 2-30th overall picks in upcoming drafts, and a late 2nd and 3rd.
Remember that for draft pick compensation for RFA longer than 5 years, it's the total value of the contract divided by 5, so a 7x10 offer sheet would be 4 1sts.

And it's just another reason why offer sheets are so difficult to make work on genuinely good players. You typically have to overpay in general to get the team to not match, otherwise you are just negotiating a fair deal for the original team. If it's a top player that wants max term, you are paying an extra premium in draft picks. And if it's not matched, you might just be screwing your own future cap structure up.

To use a Blues/Oilers example for revenge, what could the Oilers do with Neighbours or Hofer. With Neighbours, they could offer what we did for Broberg, and it's an instant match because it's below what we'd likely be willing to pay. Then they get into 1st and 3rd territory, which who knows if it's something they'd want to do. Even in that range, there is plenty of room where it's an instant match, but if they start going 6+ to get revenge, and we don't match, then they just screwed themselves.

Offer sheets work like what the Blues did because we have the cap flexibility and if they don't work out, we can let them walk at the cost of a 2nd or 3rd. If Broberg flops, we are out a 2nd, and those picks flop all the time.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Omg I had no idea. I don’t follow American football. It’s always a gut punch when a small market team loses their franchise to a big money metropolis. Hopefully the Rams don’t win the SuperBowl soon.

The Rams belong in LA. They had been there for almost their entire history until their owner decided she wanted a team in her hometown of St Louis.

So while they did "lose" their team, it went back to its rightful home.

Reactions: 1989

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Remember that for draft pick compensation for RFA longer than 5 years, it's the total value of the contract divided by 5, so a 7x10 offer sheet would be 4 1sts.

And it's just another reason why offer sheets are so difficult to make work on genuinely good players. You typically have to overpay in general to get the team to not match, otherwise you are just negotiating a fair deal for the original team. If it's a top player that wants max term, you are paying an extra premium in draft picks. And if it's not matched, you might just be screwing your own future cap structure up.

To use a Blues/Oilers example for revenge, what could the Oilers do with Neighbours or Hofer. With Neighbours, they could offer what we did for Broberg, and it's an instant match because it's below what we'd likely be willing to pay. Then they get into 1st and 3rd territory, which who knows if it's something they'd want to do. Even in that range, there is plenty of room where it's an instant match, but if they start going 6+ to get revenge, and we don't match, then they just screwed themselves.

Offer sheets work like what the Blues did because we have the cap flexibility and if they don't work out, we can let them walk at the cost of a 2nd or 3rd. If Broberg flops, we are out a 2nd, and those picks flop all the time.

Gotta remember that the player has to want to go play in Edmonton.

Zoupa

Jul 7, 2024

Broberg is not out "to get" EDM, but simply working with his agent to get the best deal, and situation, for himself. I don't know about you, but if someone offers me 5M dollars more over a two year period of work for essentially the same thing (it can be argued that STL is a better place for him, as he won't have to play on his off side)after a career where I haven't made made much $$ at all, then I know what I am doing.

EDM either didn't value these two players, or took them for granted, and focussed on signing players like Perry and Skinner. They also traded away a "good soldier" (McLeod, a young guy who took less to stay in EDM)to a hapless organization. I mean, that's EDM's prerogative, but after seeing what went down this summer, can you really blame Holloway and Broberg for not wanting to stick around for a fraction of what they will be making in STL?

I don't blame them at all. I just hope that whatever decision the Oilers make is the correct one. If they decide to sign either, I hope they play well. If they pass on them, I hope they play poorly. If the Oilers pass on Broberg and he turns into an all-star that would feel way worse.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
They are also the only pro team playing during the fall and winter, not much overlap with the Cardinals unless either team goes on a. deep run. So it's no surprise they have a huge following.

They’ve always had a huge following. STL loves its sports. Have you seen the new soccer team and arena football crowds in STL too? Packed stadiums

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Bromberg play did not justify this contract

Him and Holloway together I projected them combined around 2.5M or so

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I am wondering (Not an opinion, but an absolute certainty) whether or not the Oilers could put Broberg on waivers. Someone suggested making a trade with SJ with the understanding that Broberg would be put on waivers for them to claim. Again, not looking for an opinion, asking if there is a rule.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They must really believe in Broberg if they're considering this. Will cost draft picks to dump those, so it's spending draft capital for the right to overpay him.
The Blues have always had a good eye for Dmen. If they were willing to overpay on an offer sheet for Broberg then I'm pretty sure there's a good chance that he becomes a valuable top 4 Dman.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
TSN reporting teams are asking for a 1st / 2nd round pick to take either of the contracts of Ceci or Kulak... believing they have Edmonton over a barrel.

If I'm the Oilers, and I really want to match those offersheets... I test the NHL resolve and waive one or both of Ceci and Kulak.

And if I'm a crappy team with cap space, I claim Ceci. He's a big RHD and pending UFA after this season. That's the kind of guy you retain 50% at the deadline and get a 2nd round pick in return. Maybe a 2nd and 4th rounder. That would be smart business for a team like San Jose, Anaheim or Chicago.

A smart GM will know this.

Kulak may clear. He's an average 3rd pair guy with two more years on his contract so he's not as valuable today. Also LHD. I'm sure the Oilers would rather dump Kulak than Ceci, but I think Ceci can be dumped off the roster via waiver claim with Oilers not having to hand over any compensation.

I am wondering (Not an opinion, but an absolute certainty) whether or not the Oilers could put Broberg on waivers. Someone suggested making a trade with SJ with the understanding that Broberg would be put on waivers for them to claim. Again, not looking for an opinion, asking if there is a rule.
Bro.. Broberg isn't under contract with the Oilers. He was a restricted free agent. They can't waive a guy that isn't under contract with the Oilers. It's that simple.

Broberg is under contract with St Louis Blues. The only option Edmonton has is to match the offer sheet via ROFR or take the 2nd round pick when Broberg becomes property of the Blues Tuesday morning at 7am.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
TSN reporting teams are asking for a 1st / 2nd round pick to take either of the contracts of Ceci or Kulak... believing they have Edmonton over a barrel.

If I'm the Oilers, and I really want to match those offersheets... I test the NHL resolve and waive one or both of Ceci and Kulak.

And if I'm a crappy team with cap space, I claim Ceci. He's a big RHD and pending UFA after this season. That's the kind of guy you retain 50% at the deadline and get a 2nd round pick in return. Maybe a 2nd and 4th rounder. That would be smart business for a team like San Jose, Anaheim or Chicago.

Kulak may clear. He's an average 3rd pair guy with two more years on his contract so he's not as valuable today. Also LHD. I'm sure the Oilers would rather dump Kulak than Ceci, but I think Ceci can be dumped off the roster via waiver claim with Oilers not having to hand over any compensation.

Bro.. Broberg isn't under contract with the Oilers. He was a restricted free agent. They can't waive a guy that isn't under contract with the Oilers. It's that simple.

Broberg is under contract with St Louis Blues. The only option Edmonton has is to match the offer sheet via ROFR or take the 2nd round pick when Broberg becomes property of the Blues Tuesday morning at 7am.
He means after. Match offer, waive Broberg, sharks claim off waivers and trade prospect for future considerations.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019

Well if no one claimes him 2.5 still go against the cap

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's the convincing the Sharks to give up a top prospect and having that deal approved for future considerations or minimal return that would be the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad