Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Another thing that's been lost in all this.

Broberg signed this offer sheet knowing if really screws over the Oilers cap situation this year and next summer since he can't even be traded until mid August 2025.

This Broberg dude doesn't want to be an Oilers. He already requested a trade and he worked hard with his agent and Holloway to co-sign offer sheets at the exact same time, post arbitration, that puts Edmonton in a particularly bad place to match. Broberg and Holloway did this to Edmonton on purpose. Anyone care to ask why?

It's pretty freaking obvious Broberg wants out. and it's pretty obvious Holloway does too.

What does this do to locker room chemistry? Guess what... Broberg doesn't a give a F what it does to the Oilers cap situation or locker-room. He doesn't care what it says to Drai and McDavid as they ponder a future in Edmonton. Doesn't care what it tells pending RFA Bouchard either. So the Oilers want to match the toxic offer-sheet to keep this player?

If the Oilers do match... Might as well put Bouchard down for $10MM/per year next summer.
I think this was a very strategic and ruthless move by the Blues and I am ok with it. I keep wanting to see the NHL GM's start to shed their old boys club image. It makes absolutely no sense that specifically contending teams don't try this more often.

As to the players wanting out, this is not the way for them to do that. To sign an offer sheet the players HAVE to be willing to come back to the original team and be locked in for a full year. This was all about the money which is also fine. Its a business and the other players know it. This isn't going to impact the star players at all because they know they will get their share on the backs of the non star players anyways.

Bouchard is going over $10M AAV regardless he may even hit $11M AAV and it has nothing to do with the offer sheets, it is 100% due to Nurse and Bouchard's comparable signing 11% of cap plus contracts

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
What's the deadline for a decision now?

Can't see how they match Broberg. Him making more than Bouchard would be hilarious though.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
We plan on making him our 2lhd right now. Then hooefully half way through the season he becomes paraykos new jaybo. Its that easy.
Sink or swim time for Broberg, he's been upset that the team has sheltered him and brought him along slowly. I don't think he has yet shown capability of being a regular 2nd pair guy, but we shall see.

nerevarine

Nov 14, 2019
I think this was a very strategic and ruthless move by the Blues and I am ok with it. I keep wanting to see the NHL GM's start to shed their old boys club image. It makes absolutely no sense that specifically contending teams don't try this more often.

As to the players wanting out, this is not the way for them to do that. To sign an offer sheet the players HAVE to be willing to come back to the original team and be locked in for a full year. This was all about the money which is also fine. Its a business and the other players know it. This isn't going to impact the star players at all because they know they will get their share on the backs of the non star players anyways.

Bouchard is going over $10M AAV regardless he may even hit $11M AAV and it has nothing to do with the offer sheets, it is 100% due to Nurse and Bouchard's comparable signing 11% of cap plus contracts

100% due to nurse? Not even 1% due to bouchards unbelievable play last year and playoffs? We are talking about a top 5 defenseman in the world, those people get paid

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
100% due to nurse? Not even 1% due to bouchards unbelievable play last year and playoffs? Absurd take
hmm. I said Nurse AND his comparables so that makes your take of my take absurd :cool:.
His play last year changed his comparables and put him in the same contract realm as Makar, Fox, Dahlin who all signed for an AAV that was 11% plus of that years cap. 11% of next year projected cap is over $10M

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

Broberg definitely wants out but this is more than just money right now. It's about guaranteeing playing time in the top four.

Oilers were dicking him around previously, hence the trade request. But in signing the offer sheet, he's now put himself in a position where he can either get a fresh start and a real opportunity with the Blues playing his natural side. Or if the Oilers want to match, they have to move out other defencemen like a Kulak and/or Ceci which would guarantee Broberg a regular shift.

Speaking with Bob Stauffer of Oilers Now, Friedman said there was no way that St. Louis would have made such offer sheets if Ken Holland was still GM of the Edmonton Oilers. Holland was replaced by Stan Bowman in July.

“If Ken Holland was still the GM of the Edmonton Oilers there’s no way these offer sheets are getting done. I do think that (St. Louis GM) Doug Armstrong’s friendship with Ken Holland absolutely plays a role in how this played out.”

Friedman also suggested that Broberg was unhappy with how the Edmonton Oilers were handling him during the season and that the player may well still be unhappy.

It was never confirmed that Broberg had asked for a trade in December 2023 after his AHL demotion, Friedman said, but that is in fact what happened. Things got better for Broberg as this season progressed with the young Swede playing well in both the AHL and also the NHL playoffs.

But Friedman said of the Broberg trade request, “I’m just not convinced he ever changed his mind.”

With Broberg, Friedman heard the player was looking for $1.8 million, but it’s uncertain how things were going. “I had one person say to me that they’re not even convinced the Oilers made anything too deep because they knew that Broberg wanted a trade. The bottom line is this: they were far, far apart on Broberg. They knew they had a player that was unhappy.”

If Broberg hasn’t changed his mind about the Oilers, Stauffer suggested that has to be factored in to the Oilers’ decision on whether to match or not.

Friedman said one reason that Broberg was happy to sign in St. Louis was because he knew he was going to play the left side, his strong side. In Edmonton in the playoffs, he had had to play his off-side on the right, pairing with Darnell Nurse.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Those ages above are what makes the situation harsh for the Oilers.

Broberg and Holloway are both homegrown former first rounders, 22 & 23. One can try to call them depth and dismiss their on-ice impact, but when considering of cap structure and timing, this move is one hell of a torpedo.
Yeah….this is a definitely a kick in the ding ding.

I don’t understand where some people are saying the Oilers had this coming or mismanagement this summer lead them here. They needed those two guys at a fair price for a couple more years. The two players obviously wanted more, so they didn’t do anything wrong by continued negotiations. RFA’s often don’t get done until late in the summer. It’s not like they intentionally avoided dealing with them or just fell asleep waiting until fall. The players are holding out for more money than the team could really afford to give.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Problem with those offers to stars is I think the other team just matches. I mean if Bouchard has a big year then Edmonton probably doesn’t have a problem paying him $700k more than Nurse.

Someone could also OS him for like 12 million and pay the same amount of picks, which Edmonton could not afford

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Another thing that's been lost in all this.

Broberg signed this offer sheet knowing if really screws over the Oilers cap situation this year and next summer since he can't even be traded until mid August 2025.

This Broberg dude doesn't want to be an Oilers. He already requested a trade and he worked hard with his agent and Holloway to co-sign offer sheets at the exact same time, post arbitration, that puts Edmonton in a particularly bad place to match. Broberg and Holloway did this to Edmonton on purpose. Anyone care to ask why?

It's pretty freaking obvious Broberg wants out. and it's pretty obvious Holloway does too.

What does this do to locker room chemistry? Guess what... Broberg doesn't a give a F what it does to the Oilers cap situation or locker-room. He doesn't care what it says to Drai and McDavid as they ponder a future in Edmonton. Doesn't care what it tells pending RFA Bouchard either. So the Oilers want to match the toxic offer-sheet to keep this player?

If the Oilers do match... Might as well put Bouchard down for $10MM/per year next summer.

I'm sure McDrai only giving a f*** about their maximum money and not giving a shit about building a winning team makes everyone love them in the locker room. I mean imagine what an extra 2 mill available money would do right now to help the Oilers but no, McDavid needed 12 and not just old 10. Meanwhile the guy they need for depth is expected to play for 700k and not even 1.2 because McDrai needed that extra 2 mill.

For the money Ill take it,

As for his carrier development and perceived futur value, who he gonna be paired with?
Perunovitch ? injury Faulk?
Good f***ing luck looking half decent there. He need someone somewhat solid in the D zone to play with.
Gonna be fun looking at Bennington tantrum this year

I mean do you know f*** all what you're talking about? Perunovich is basically on the outs at this point and Faulk had a high ankle sprain most of the year, I don't see how that means he's gonna be injured this year as well?

Reactions: Memento

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
I'm sure McDrai only giving a f*** about their maximum money and not giving a shit about building a winning team makes everyone love them in the locker room. I mean imagine what an extra 2 mill available money would do right now to help the Oilers but no, McDavid needed 12 and not just old 10. Meanwhile the guy they need for depth is expected to play for 700k and not even 1.2 because McDrai needed that extra 2 mill.

I mean do you know f*** all what you're talking about? Perunovich is basically on the outs at this point and Faulk had a high ankle sprain most of the year, I don't see how that means he's gonna be injured this year as well?

The guy is just bhurt. I honestly think if broberg played the way he did int the finals he could be paraykos new jaybo. At least thats what i hope.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
It makes absolutely no sense that specifically contending teams don't try this more often.

It's because most contending teams are already up near the cap. They usually lose a few UFAs too, and have replace them with cheaper guys (like ELC players), plus they typically have to deal with key players needing raises.

If they have a little wiggle room they'd usually rather spend that kind of money on a mid priced known quantity veteran who can help with depth in the playoffs instead of taking a flyer on a young guy who's still only semi-proven and might turn out to be nothing. That Broberg offer sheet buys a pretty solid depth player.

A sure thing impact level RFA is getting matched, or is likely to be at a much higher salary/compensation level than contenders can or will pay.

It's the middling and lower teams who tend to have the cap space to do this.

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
They are going to match Broberg. I dont get how so many posters in here say oillers wont. He was once a bluechip prospect remember?

How many years did it take Hedman to be good?

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’d let Holloway go and do everything they can to keep Broberg, they need defense. If it’s true Broberg wanted out then I’d still keep him and trade him a year from now.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They are going to match Broberg. I dont get how so many posters in here say oillers wont. He was once a bluechip prospect remember?

He was good from the start, Hedman was just in a defensive role, he broke out offensively once they put him in a more offensive role.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

You mean the guy drafted second over all in the draft as a can’t miss blue chip prospect? Why is he being used as an example?

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
You mean the guy drafted second over all in the draft as a can’t miss blue chip prospect? Why is he being used as an example?
because he was a slow starter and being swedish.

if Darnel Nurse can get like 7-8 million a season I guess Broberg can get around 4.5 also

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023

I actually think it goes the other way - Holloway or neither. I feel pretty confident Broberg is gone.

When a player goes from open trade request to an OS signing in a little under 9 calendar months, he’s telling you something.

He’s also being a “squeaky gear” who, upon seeing no progress made on his initial trade request, made a move to force the Oil into cap jeopardy or let him go on about as rigid of a randomly imposed timetable as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad