Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Certainly, but to improve the roster it’ll all have to be cap in/cap out + assets. If Edmonton is struggling to clear cap now, I don’t think it’ll be easier mid season

Kane is a goner at the trade deadline, acruing cap is a nice to have, it's not a must have.

The Oilers added Ekholm + Bjugstad the one deadline where they weren't able to acrue cap room for the season which was a bigger deadline than last year's where they added Henrique (and they were able to acrue cap space last year).

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Huh?

-We let Pietrangelo walk and soon after he was 1D on a cup winner.
- Signed Krug who we later tried to pay Philly to take
-Gave Perunivich every opportunity on our team and now are signing every LD in existence to nuke him off our depth chart
-We protected Krug over Dunn in the expansion draft and Dunn is top pair in Seattle
-We let Mikkola go with no effort to keep him and he was top 4 on a cup winner

Aside from drafting Parayko, and trading for Leddy (who we traded Walman who was servicable on top pair for Detroit) what have we done to show we have an eye for D talent?

Yeah, but hear me out, they could ignore all that, say pretty please and come up with a convoluted plan to make it all work out because they are the Oilers and they are very, very special.

Weird how everyone forgets that Pietrangelo CHOSE not to sign the biggest contract in team history, no no it's all Armstrong letting him walk. f***ing delusional.
Drafted Dunn
Drafted Parayko
Drafted Edmundson
Traded for Jbo
traded for Shattenkirk
Traded for MacInnis
Traded for Pronger
Traded for Housley
Signed Stevens to an offer sheet.

Almost seems like the franchise has a decent eye for dmen. Sorry you're still hurt that Pietrangelo left you.

Kane is a goner at the trade deadline, acruing cap is a nice to have, it's not a must have.

The Oilers added Ekholm + Bjugstad the one deadline where they weren't able to acrue cap room for the season which was a bigger deadline than last year's where they added Henrique (and they were able to acrue cap space last year).

Kane has a NMC so goodluck with that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Weird how everyone forgets that Pietrangelo CHOSE not to sign the biggest contract in team history, no no it's all Armstrong letting him walk. f***ing delusional.
Drafted Dunn
Drafted Parayko
Drafted Edmundson
Traded for Jbo
traded for Shattenkirk
Traded for MacInnis
Traded for Pronger
Traded for Housley
Signed Stevens to an offer sheet.

Almost seems like the franchise has a decent eye for dmen. Sorry you're still hurt that Pietrangelo left you.

Kane has a NMC so goodluck with that.

His NMC expires at the trade deadline. His contract was basically written to allow him to be dumped at next year's deadline (prior to Draisaitl's extension). One of the few things Holland had any sense about cap wise.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Kane is a goner at the trade deadline
Wishful thinking. He'll have a 16 team trade list at that point. In other words, if he wants to, he can quite easily structure that list to block any trades.

Moreover, Kane will be coming off a significant injury + surgery and will have played very little or not at all. Do Oilers fans really think there'll be a huge market for his services, especially since he'll still have another year left on his contract?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
You say that... but TSN is reporting today that is exactly what teams are asking from the Oilers. So TSN disagrees with your laughing emoji.

I think Ceci would get claimed if the Oilers waived him so I'm not disagreeing with your thought Ceci is moveable at low or not cost to Edmonton. I believe a few teams would claim him off waivers at not cost to the Oilers to dump his full AAV.

I am just pointing out TSN is reporting what teams are seeking, knowing Edmonton is over the barrel. So a leverage play right now. And that should not be a laughing matter for the Oilers.
"TSN" stated it would take a 1st to move Ceci? And a 1st to move Kulak?

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Hopeful thinking

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Lol yes it will, most likely. The Preds just gave up a 3rd and 6th to get rid of a 25 year old C making 2.5m just days ago for a ECHLer. Oiler got no leverage here and other GM's have no reason to help them out of this mess
I'd argue Kulak/Ceci have more value than Glass.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Wishful thinking. He'll have a 16 team trade list at that point. In other words, if he wants to, he can quite easily structure that list to block any trades.

Moreover, Kane will be coming off a significant injury + surgery and will have played very little or not at all. Do Oilers fans really think there'll be a huge market for his services, especially since he'll still have another year left on his contract?

16 teams is half the league, lol, that doesn't mean he'll only accept to those 16 either.

It'll likely be part of a bigger package where a 1st and maybe the 2nd from the Broberg deal is going out, same way Barrie went out for Ekholm with an extra year of salary left. Teams want picks to rebuild with, they don't care if they have to take on a player for a year.

If it's a player with significant term (like multiple years remaining) that would be a different story.

Though for all we know Kane could come back, play for a few weeks, and be back on the LTIR again. If he wants to do what Mark Stone does and really wants to stay that bad for this season, that's up to him I guess.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This just came out, wonder if true

After the bold move by the St Louis Blues to sign Edmonton Oilers Dylan Holloway and Philip Broberg to offer sheets, It's has been reported that the Oilers will match the offer for Holloway but not broberg.

The 22 year-old was the Oilers 1st round pick in 2020 14th overall. Holloway spent the season between the Oilers and their AHL affiliate Bakersfield Condors, but impressed many on the playoffs in a limited role.

Broberg was drafted by the Oilers in the 2019 Draft 8th overall, the 23-year-old defenceman will be missed if the Oilers indeed don't match the Blues offer.

Source: NHL News And Updates

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd argue Kulak/Ceci have more value than Glass.
Easily more value. Glass is a tweener forward that doesn't contribute to special teams. Ceci and Kulak are solid PK defensemen that can both elevate their minutes when required.

Veteran defensemen frequently move for value at the deadline.

Reactions: 67 others

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

After the bold move by the St Louis Blues to sign Edmonton Oilers Dylan Holloway and Philip Broberg to offer sheets, It's has been reported that the Oilers will match the offer for Holloway but not broberg.

The 22 year-old was the Oilers 1st round pick in 2020 14th overall. Holloway spent the season between the Oilers and their AHL affiliate Bakersfield Condors, but impressed many on the playoffs in a limited role.

Broberg was drafted by the Oilers in the 2019 Draft 8th overall, the 23-year-old defenceman will be missed if the Oilers indeed don't match the Blues offer.

Hope Broberg becomes a stud

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Bromberg play did not justify this contract

Him and Holloway together I projected them combined around 2.5M or so
So nirs
I mean obviously, just funny to think about.

Oilers won’t match, broberg wasn’t worth a 2nd when he was shopped earlier in the year. Nothing has changed really and hard to glean anything from a small sample size of games, so take the pick and move on from a player that doesn’t want to be there and is being overpaid by 3-4X.
Broberg is going to look amazing in blue. He is going to piss everyone in oil nation off.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
And that FAFO is indeed him forcing the Oil into a corner and doing what’s best for him - both can be true.

He signed an offer sheet, forcing the Oil into a 7-day time frame.

I’m in transit, so I can’t put Doug Armstrong’s head on the girl from The Ring, but you get the idea. :laugh:

[ATTACH type="full"]901473[/ATTACH]
Bro mayve they shoukd have signed him earlier to 1.8 instead of signing corey perry and skinner and whom ever else. They were going to force him to a sh3et contract and he chose a different route stop putting the blame on him put the blame on mismanagement. Would ypu take a pay xut for your job to make a bunch of money
Nope

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022

Probably just piggybacking off of what Friedman said earlier. This has been the expectation since the beginning.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
1. Because they don't need more forward depth as much as defensive players?
2. Because $2.3MM is still more than they want to pay for him and they are over the cap
3. Because he doesn't want to be an Oiler.
4. Because he can't be traded until August of 2025 if they match

Those are a handful of reasons why they may not. I suspect they will, but who knows. He's not a big a need. I'm sure the Oilers wished the offer sheets were flipped and Holloway signed the $4.6MM one and Broberg was on the 2.3MM one. That would have made the two decisions much easier. A 3rd round pick is a crappy return for this player. That likely annoys the Oilers since it's not much of a trade chip. The 2nd for Broberg is a better deadline asset to move for bottom six help.

St Louis really did a number on the Oilers here. Really well thought out and savage. Well played wasn't it. Oilers get hurt in every scenario.

He doesn't want to be an Oilers?

Also i think he's a big need for them. A young promising guy, it doesn't grow on trees for them.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Also i think he's a big need for them. A young promising guy, it doesn't grow on trees for them.
He request trade earlier last season, now hes accepting an offer sheet. I think he sees more potential elsewhere

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Those are hypotheses that could be true or not.

However, paying 2.29M is a lot for what Holloway has shown so far. He normally would have gotten around 1-1.5 million.

They are trying to win the Cup right now, young promising guys taking bigger chunk of cap are not what they want right now.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

It would be great to get both but if we only get one I certainly hope it's Broberg.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

both of them has a potential to double their salary for the next 2 years, it would be insane for them not to sign. Broberg was yoyo-ed around by the Oilers org, he hasnt been happy for a while until he got a chance to shine in the playoffs. This is something Brian Burke wanted to happen to that org since that Penner OS, a confluence of multiple factors really. I dont believe this would happen if its not Bowman GMing though, the disrespect is real.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Kane is gonna cost you an arm and leg to dump at the TDL. It will cost a 1st +.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Kane is gonna cost you an arm and leg to dump at the TDL. It will cost a 1st +.

We're going to make a deal at the deadline that will require big salary going out anyway, might as well have Kane be the salary dump in the process, this is what happened with the Ekholm deal, Nashville had to take Barrie back to make the deal work, in return for that they got the futures. We're trading the 1st at the deadline more than likely, but a team is going to have to take salary back in the process of that.

If you're a retooling/rebuilding team you don't care about eating salary for a year, the futures are what you're looking to work with down the line when you're hoping to be good again.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
We're going to make a deal at the deadline that will require big salary going out anyway, might as well have Kane be the salary dump in the process, this is what happened with the Ekholm deal, Nashville had to take Barrie back to make the deal work, in return for that they got the futures. We're trading the 1st at the deadline more than likely, but a team is going to have to take salary back in the process of that.

If you're a retooling/rebuilding team you don't care about eating salary for a year, the futures are what you're looking to work with down the line when you're hoping to be good again.
and if Kane simply says no to going to the team you need him to go to at the deadline? lol also I hope you realize that there is an added built in cost to any potential deal you would make if it included taking on Kane. Like teams aren't going to just do you a solid for fun. It doesn't really work that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad