Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Don’t forget Broberg winning a Norris after playing a full season in Edmonton and getting 60 assists playing with McDrai.

Followed by a 11M/Year contract! It’s all about opportunity! They’ll get paid in exposure.

Broberg was in the AHL this past season. He's going to a Blues team with a very old blueline, and apparnetly Krug is going to miss a bunch of time.

Not only has he cemented himself a $9m payday, but a guaranteed shot to prove he can be a top defenceman in the league, with the ability to go back to RFA status at age 25. He's likely going to get a ton of leash in St. Louis.

As for Holloway, sure there was the potential of a chance to play with McDavid or Draisaitl, but he also spent time in the AHL last year... that's a nearly $5m guaranteed bag that Edmonton likely wasn't offering.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
You move Ceci and shift that money to Broberg, does he accept 3.5m in July? Maybe, maybe not. Or you've got 4.1m between Kulak and Perry as another example, there were definitely options here.

I don't think Holloway is a huge loss but at the same time if he doesn't accept a fair contract offer then you trade him for certainly higher than a 3rd round pick, I think EDM could've been more proactive there (much like the McLeod/Savoie) deal instead of just allowing this to sit idle all summer.
3.5 is too much for Broberg. He’s played 80 nhl games. He was good for 8 for them. 3.5 is a non starter.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If the Oilers do not match Holloway or Broberg and take the draft pick compensation, what’s the plan going forward to fill out the rest of their roster?

Edmonton probably has to waive Stecher to get compliant before the start of the season and then place Kane on LTIR, it would allow for Hamblin, Lavoie, Savoie or Jarventie to take Holloway’s place on the roster and Broberg’s place would probably be filled by Josh Brown and recalling Troy Stecher after Kane’s placement on LTIR.

Either way the Oilers quality depth on defense takes a hit, the Oilers may be active looking to sign a few players on PTO’s.
At the end of this he day our starting 6 D is a bottom pair d different then it was going into the playoffs.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
You do know the Rams have been in LA since 2016 right?

True, but I've been a born St. Louisan, a born Cardinals and Blues fan since before I was born (my mom was eight months pregnant with me when she went to a Cards and Blues game) and Rams fan since 1999 when they won it all (as well as a Mizzou Tigers fan). I watched all of those teams through the bad times (especially the Rams, when the only player worth watching some games was Steven Jackson), so why should I leave them when I grew up with them, when all of them are interesting to watch nowadays?

As to the details of this, I think this is a masterclass performance by Army. Giving up potentially only two seconds (with our 2026 pick going to Pittsburgh) and two thirds (again, with the 2025 Ottawa pick going to Pittsburgh) for a shot at Broberg and Holloway (even getting a fifth in 2026 from Pittsburgh) is a hell of a way to swing for the fences.

And it's not like the Blues don't have the pieces to be competitive: Thomas, Kyrou, and Buchnevich are first-line caliber players; Thomas is a legit underrated stud who put up nearly ninety points with sixty assists, played PP, PK, and had limited help, Kyrou has put up two thirty+ goal seasons and three consecutive 65+ point seasons with much improved defense this season, and Buchnevich has been a steal for us ever since we got him with elite defense at wing and the ability to play a decent second-line center.

Then you have complimentary pieces like Neighbours, Parayko, Hofer, maybe Leddy...and I guess Binnington (even though I don't like him), young players with potential (Bolduc, Dean, Kessel, potentially Texier, potentially Pierre-Olivier Joseph, potentially Toropchenko), and a very solid, if not spectacular, prospect pool (Dvorsky, Snuggerud, Lindstein, Stenberg, Jiricek, and a smorgasbord of interesting other young defensemen - namely Buchinger, Lukas Fischer, Burns, Paul Fischer, Ralph, Koromyslov, etc. - and intriguing other forwards - Pekarcik, Susuyev, Jecho, Kos, Robertsson, Kaskimaki, etc. - and two interesting goalie prospects in Zherenko and Ellis.).

And then you potentially add one or both (please be both?) of Broberg and/or Holloway? Sign me the f*** up for that!

Last edited:

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
The brilliance of this for St Louis is the term for both players. They will get both of these guys on “show me” contracts
Overpaying like that is not exactly brilliant.

Also, Broberg receiving a Brinks truckload of cash before he was even able to be a regular on a weak blue squad does not meet the "show me" definition by any metric.

Unless you mean...

MoPucks

Feb 3, 2009
Stl
Pleasantly surprised by these signings. The picks wouldn't materialize to anything for another 5 years and even then it's unlikely that they will have the upside of these two. I don't know if Edmonton can or will match but the Blues don't have a ton of risk involved here. Both players could help them now.

Reactions: PainForShane

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Broberg is ridiculously overrated. Poor hockey sense and inconsistent. He is cashing in on A very small sample of games where he played well.

This is an easy pass for the Oilers. Ironically it has taken an offersheet for Oilers fans to finally admit Broberg’s obvious shortcomings…

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Overpaying like that is not exactly brilliant.

Also, Broberg receiving a Brinks truckload of cash before he was even able to be a regular on a weak blue squad does not meet the "show me" definition by any metric.

Unless you mean...

They may just have picked up two recent top 15 draft picks that are under the age 24 already mostly developed but still with potential to get better for nothing but cap and a couple picks.

That is a great bit of GMing if you've decided to go the reload rather than full rebuild route.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Broberg is ridiculously overrated. Poor hockey sense and inconsistent. He is cashing in on A very small sample of games where he played well.

This is an easy pass for the Oilers. Ironically it has taken an offersheet for Oilers fans to finally admit Broberg’s obvious shortcomings…
8 game sample size.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Matt Kessel counting his lucky stars he doesn’t have to be paired with the corpse of Ryan Suter.

Broberg or Perunovich would be a much better pairing with Kessel.
He’s more likely to play with Suter if this offer sheet is successful than if the Oilers match.

Leddy-Parayko
Broberg-Faulk
Suter-Kessel
POJ/Perunovich

Is probably how they would set up. Suter would likely play with Faulk if the Oilers match.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
That's a fair bit of money for Broberg... damn
1723602312701.jpeg

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
He’s more likely to play with Suter if this offer sheet is successful than if the Oilers match.

Leddy-Parayko
Broberg-Faulk
Suter-Kessel
POJ/Perunovich

Is probably how they would set up. Suter would likely play with Faulk if the Oilers match.
I thought Perunovich was going to be given more responsibility to step up this season.

The noise around the Suter signing made it sound like Suter was only for 6-7 defensive purposes, could be more so if the Oilers don’t match on Broberg.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I thought Perunovich was going to be given more responsibility to step up this season.

The noise around the Suter signing made it sound like Suter was only for 6-7 defensive purposes, could be more so if the Oilers don’t match on Broberg.
I don't think Perunovich had much of a future here, and if we get Broberg, I think it's pretty much over for him. He struggles to play defense and his shot isn't strong enough for him to be a real offensive threat at the NHL level. I suppose there was hope if he got #1 PP time, he could produce more, but I don't think he was ever getting serious 5v5 minutes.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016

It looked like Perunovich would get some runway this year with how the roster was setting up, but they sign POJ, potentially add Broberg, Suter’s contract is bonus heavy with marks for game played that he isn’t signing without some assurance he’s going to get games…decent signal that he more than likely isn’t in the plans.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I'm not letting Broberg go.. No way. Holloway.. no idea why the Blues would even offer sheet him other than no GM is going to respect Stan Bowman, so why not eh?

Reactions: Czechboy

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
So is Broberg to next big thing or not?

Kidding Oiler's fans.

If I'm a Oiler's fan, both of these are a hard pass. The core is McDavid, Drai, and Bouchard. You fill the roster with cheap contracts who compliment your core.

Ain't nobody taking a paycut to be in Edmonton, so you hope for the best. With that being said McDavid, Drai, and Bouch is a legendary top 3, they're clearly the cup favs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad