Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Absolute fumble f*** from the Oilers leaving Broberg and Holloway unsigned this long. I'm not entirely sold on Holloway, but JJ/Bowman dropped the ball having Broberg sitting there. Money was there to sign the player with a Kulak or Ceci trade, not a good start for Stan.

The compensation is peanuts here too, good move from the Blues. Would love to see more of it.
I’m curious how this a fumble. Broberg and Holloway agents were contacted by the blues about offer sheets and the players were expecting one. Why would they sign in July without waiting to see if an offer was coming? There’s no benefit to signing early for the player, they have right up to training camp to sign. They waited and got paid. The oilers were never giving them these contracts.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Because we need him to play and he will be given time to play. We have the neeed and position available. Whats the wrongs reason. Lol your gm shoukdnt have assumed he would force them.to take league minimum
Wie bitte? What are you talking about now?

Okay.....it is time for me to exit these threads cuz now we are entering obfuscation territory.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I’m curious how this a fumble. Broberg and Holloway agents were contacted by the blues about offer sheets and the players were expecting one. Why would they sign in July without waiting to see if an offer was coming? There’s no benefit to signing early for the player, they have right up to training camp to sign. They waited and got paid. The oilers were never giving them these contracts.
But that salary on only 2 yrs is not that much for Holloway, I thought they would match. Are the Oilers that close to the cap? Or they really don't believe in Holloway? Sorry if it was answered earlier in the thread.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If the Blues get both players as long as they can play as the 4th D and a solid 3rd liner I'm happy. With the Krug injury and the cap space these are gambles that if they don't work they shouldn't be Terrible long term.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
But that salary on only 2 yrs is not that much for Holloway, I thought they would match. Are the Oilers that close to the cap? Or they really don't believe in Holloway? Sorry if it was answered earlier in the thread.
He’s played 81 games. The oilers aren’t going to pay 2.3 mil to play him on the 3rd or 4th line. He had a decent year last year but he’s still unproven.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Neither are worth those dollars, imo. Let them both walk. Maybe keep Broberg if you can finally get rid of Ceci, but that's probably zero sum for the immediate future as they're both 3rd pairing guys at this point, so the Oilers would be overpaying for that position either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeune Poulet

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Can't trade for 1 year. And they have Draisaitl and Bouchard extensions next summer to consider, so it's not just about making this season work.
That definitely changes things and makes the decision more black and white. Either you keep him for that price and try to make it work or you simply let him walk for a 2nd. Tough to potentially lose a young player like that though for only a 2nd. STL really put EDM in a tough spot

I'm talking about the ones that DON'T get signed, teams sending out feelers to pending RFAs on other teams, but there's no interest on the other side so we never hear about it.

Thomas Harley's still a RFA with Dallas. I'm willing to bet other teams have tabled offers that he's declined - but we'll never know.
Hes definitely gotten offers. Probably focused on making it work in DAL.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
You move Ceci and shift that money to Broberg, does he accept 3.5m in July? Maybe, maybe not. Or you've got 4.1m between Kulak and Perry as another example, there were definitely options here.

I don't think Holloway is a huge loss but at the same time if he doesn't accept a fair contract offer then you trade him for certainly higher than a 3rd round pick, I think EDM could've been more proactive there (much like the McLeod/Savoie) deal instead of just allowing this to sit idle all summer.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
For those unfamiliar with the Blues, this is their thinking. We are trying to get back to our 2019 identity. You can see it in our draft picks. We want pesky, possession forwards who play a 2-way game, especially in the bottom 6. We want long, rangy D who can defend and transition, ala Bouwmeester.

We are in a retool, trying to add young players and not add old UFAs. We have cap space and no pressing needs in next 2 years. We are content to develop slowly and not spend big on UFA.

These two players fit those molds. We are gambling they reach another level of their potential. We have the cap, so we can overpay to make it more likely Edmonton passes. Then after 2 years when we are hopefully starting to be competitive, we can renegotiate deals more in line with their value at that point. They will still be RFAs.

I like the deal and hope we get both.

We all do.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I was reading on another thread that bro has no value in the NHL.. one gm clearly disagrees.

I hate it but ltir Kane, take your 2nd pick and use the money (and maybe pick) to get a D.

Keep hollo.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You move Ceci and shift that money to Broberg, does he accept 3.5m in July? Maybe, maybe not. Or you've got 4.1m between Kulak and Perry as another example, there were definitely options here.

I don't think Holloway is a huge loss but at the same time if he doesn't accept a fair contract offer then you trade him for certainly higher than a 3rd round pick, I think EDM could've been more proactive there (much like the McLeod/Savoie) deal instead of just allowing this to sit idle all summer.
Okay but Broberg has done fudge all to be offered 3.5 mill either. Blues are doing this to buy a player that’s it. No contender gives 4.5 mill to a player who looked okay for 10 games.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
does that make it more or less desirable? for many players, it's the latter.
Less. For sure.

I live in Florida and used to see Jon huberdeau at the grocery store. Probably 7 or so times. No one really bothered him at all. I bet that was nice. Not many nhl players live to be narcissistic and constantly noticed.

Last edited:

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
If the Oilers do not match Holloway or Broberg and take the draft pick compensation, what’s the plan going forward to fill out the rest of their roster?

Edmonton probably has to waive Stecher to get compliant before the start of the season and then place Kane on LTIR, it would allow for Hamblin, Lavoie, Savoie or Jarventie to take Holloway’s place on the roster and Broberg’s place would probably be filled by Josh Brown and recalling Troy Stecher after Kane’s placement on LTIR.

Either way the Oilers quality depth on defense takes a hit, the Oilers may be active looking to sign a few players on PTO’s.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Holloway's value was that he was on an ELC contract. But he spent most of last year in the minors. He couldn't bump Derek Ryan from our roster.

He's valueless at $2m.

Oilers had a lot of guys who became valueless the second they signed for $2m.

Puljujaarvi, Yamamoto, heck even McLeod.

Broberg is straight up a Black Ace. I hope he makes the roster, because that's a lot of cheddar for a guy who spent last year in the minors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilslick941611
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad