Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm not letting Broberg go.. No way. Holloway.. no idea why the Blues would even offer sheet him other than no GM is going to respect Stan Bowman, so why not eh?
You offer sheet both at the same time to put pressure on them and further limit their ability to match. If we only targeted one, they could match and still try to sign the other one to a cheaper deal like they were intending to.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I don’t think you know what magic beans are. Everyone knows exactly what they’re getting with Skinner and Arvidsson. Broberg and Holloway could end up being nothing more than replacement level players or they could end up as all stars.

Oilers dropped the ball on waiting so long to sign their RFA’s while having a maxed out cap. They were pretty much setting themselves up for this. I personally thought that Holloway wouldn’t get offer sheeted but I thought a team would take a shot on Broberg.
This is not a Skinner/Arvidsson thing it's about the over priced "#1" D we have.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
So is Broberg to next big thing or not?

Kidding Oiler's fans.

If I'm a Oiler's fan, both of these are a hard pass. The core is McDavid, Drai, and Bouchard. You fill the roster with cheap contracts who compliment your core.

Ain't nobody taking a paycut to be in Edmonton, so you hope for the best. With that being said McDavid, Drai, and Bouch is a legendary top 3, they're clearly the cup favs.
That's not a bad number for Holloway actually. He's better than a 3rd round pick at that price. Broberg.... that's a tough one. Couldn't happen to a nicer management group 😁

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
I can't see how the Oilers are even able to match the Blues offers. Blues are a bit crazy to offer Broberg 4.5M. He hasnt even played a full season yet. For a 8 game sample in the playoffs?
That's the point. Overpaid but a price that EDM doesn't want to match. 2 year gamble at the cost of a 2nd rounder and some cap space.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
And Holloway has opted to contribute to the problem of overpaying players relative to their actual performance. He's also sacrificing future income by actively choosing to play with Robert Thomas over Connor McDavid. Broberg is a lot more understandable- that's an insane overpay- but Holloway has thrown away a very straight forward path to both personal and professional success with this move. It could easily go down as an all-time NHL bag fumble, especially if the Oilers win it all this year.
I didn’t realize Holloway was the head coach and controlled the lines, that’s crazy

Bond

May 10, 2012
They may just have picked up two recent top 15 draft picks that are under the age 24 already mostly developed but still with potential to get better for nothing but cap and a couple picks.

That is a great bit of GMing if you've decided to go the reload rather than full rebuild route.
I can’t wait for him to be a top 4 dman again if they match

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Glad you mentioned Klingberg, he was the first name that came to mind. Holloway won't quite fumble a $56M bag but he could've been 24, potentially a PPG player thanks to the McDrai bump, and an RFA in a $~90M cap world. That would have easily netted him $9M per year on a longer term deal (Necas just got $6.5M @ 0.7 PPG Konecny $8.75M for 0.9 PPG). Now he's playing on a team with no lack of wingers and just one PPG center.

If the difference is $7M for say ~50 points in STL and $9M after 82 in EDM, that's a $14M loss over a seven-year contract. Hopefully Dylan has a good money manager in his corner, because that's the only way he will ever make such a huge sum back.
One of the crazier takes I have seen in years! Holloway could easily project to a $9M player. Wow. He had 9 points in 38 games.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Im biased and think they both make NHL but I am curious who does better! I'm a huge Jecho fan.
Loved the Jecho pick when it was made (and warmed up to the Adam Jiricek and the Lukas Fischer picks, if you're curious about Jiri's kid) and think he would've gone a round higher, if he had a better year. Not as big on Kos. Think Jecho has middle-six upside with a lower floor than Kos, but I think he makes it with his size, offensive instincts, and ability to play an effective center; Kos strikes me more as a bottom-six wing at absolute best. Personally, I'd have picked someone else, but I trust our scouting department.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Loved the Jecho pick when it was made (and warmed up to the Adam Jiricek and the Lukas Fischer picks, if you're curious about Jiri's kid) and think he would've gone a round higher, if he had a better year. Not as big on Kos. Think Jecho has middle-six upside with a lower floor than Kos, but I think he makes it with his size, offensive instincts, and ability to play an effective center; Kos strikes me more as a bottom-six wing at absolute best. Personally, I'd have picked someone else, but I trust our scouting department.
Kos is probably boom or bust.. has a great offensive game. Hope it translates to NHL and not euro leagues.

Jecho is like Sapovaliv. Does all the dark work. Big body. A total pain in the ass. Plays big minutes but not a point machine. I'd be surprised if he wasnt a full time NHLer one day. But I also don't expect a .ppg top 6 guy. More like a 30 to 40 point pain in everyone's ass.lol

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
If the Blues get both players as long as they can play as the 4th D and a solid 3rd liner I'm happy. With the Krug injury and the cap space these are gambles that if they don't work they shouldn't be Terrible long term.
Agreed

Okay but Broberg has done fudge all to be offered 3.5 mill either. Blues are doing this to buy a player that’s it. No contender gives 4.5 mill to a player who looked okay for 10 games.
Look edm has a history of not developing talent st. Louis generally develops thier own. You put broberg with parayko boom you got dynamite

Reactions: Trow

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
So is Broberg to next big thing
I’m still wondering in what world the Blues think that at this point in his career they think Broberg is worth $4.5/per for 2 seasons? Sounds like desperation to me! So if the Oilers can’t keep him or Holloway, then how you deal with this is you trade them to the Blues division rivals!!
😉🤷🏻‍♂️

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I can't see how the Oilers are even able to match the Blues offers. Blues are a bit crazy to offer Broberg 4.5M. He hasnt even played a full season yet. For a 8 game sample in the playoffs?
Matching Holloway's is a no brainer, and really he might outplay that contract this year. Broberg's is a bit more difficult to decide on because you're paying for potential. If Edmonton thinks Broberg has top pairing potential and is a top 4D this year then they'll match. If they don't then they'll let him walk.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Agreed

Look edm has a history of not developing talent st. Louis generally develops thier own. You put broberg with parayko boom you got dynamite
Or he struggles cause he can handle it. You act like he is some elite guarenteed player.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Won’t Bro’s QO now be like 4.5 when this deal is up?

It would be... but at the end of the day, you're doing this deal because you think Broberg with 2 years of NHL experience is going to be a heck of a lot more valuable than $4.5m.

The Blues are in a somewhat difficult position right now. They've got a very solid group of forwards with some youth, headlined by Kyrou and Thomas; but inclduing Torophenko, Sunggerud, Neighbors, and Bolduc. They've got a Stanley Cup Winning goalie that's only 31.

Their defence is old. Jiricek probably still years away. They needed an injection of youth & upside onto the blueline, and this is a really low-risk way of getting that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad