Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
Overpaying like that is not exactly brilliant.

Also, Broberg receiving a Brinks truckload of cash before he was even able to be a regular on a weak blue squad does not meet the "show me" definition by any metric.

Unless you mean...

Maybe 4.5 was a lot of money when they made this old-timey GIF, but nowadays it’s quite common for GMs to pay for a player’s possible potential to lock him up. In the Blues’ case, if it’s that big of a mistake, it’ll be off the books in no time. However if Broberg becomes a solid second pairing D-man, they look pretty smart here.

Reactions: ds774622

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Oilers can use those draft picks. Their cupboard is pretty bare when it comes to decent draft picks and good young prospects in the near future. Right now they have no 1st and 2nd round 2025 draft picks and one 3rd round pick.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Take the pick for Broberg, dude isn’t even worth more than 1.5 million. Easy match on Holloway.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Can they match and trade or do they need to keep them for a year? Could probably get more than a 3rd for Holloway.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
I wonder if a Kulak for Tucker Poolman+ makes sense for both teams now. Edmonton gets to keep both players through LTIR and Vancouver gets an upgrade on Forbort on the bottom pair?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Now the Kane to ltir news yesterday makes more sense. Edmonton likely knew this was coming.

I don’t understand signing an offer sheet unless you’re 100% sure your current team isn’t going to match which in this case the way the deals are structured, Edmonton is almost assuredly going to begrudgingly match.

You’re on a team that’s trying to win the Cup and has veterans leaving money on the table and you go and sign a deal that far exceeds your performance/trendline and maximizes how badly it screws your team over. Great way to ensure everyone in the room hates you. I’m sure it won’t be awkward for them at all.
Oh nooooo, they will be making millions of dollars but other players in the room who are also making millions will be in their fee fees. How sad. :(

Or more likely, hockey players aren’t as soft as fans on message boards. Their job is to play a game and make as much money as they can during their relatively short careers, they’re not there to make fans happy about their team’s cap situation. f***in deal with it.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The offer sheet to Adam jiricek and ondrej kos will be epic in 2 years.lol
Signing non-NHL players to offer sheets would certainly be interesting. Good luck.

sure but the Oilers are THE team in Edmonton...like the Packers the THE team in Green Bay

one of the first things Pronger said when he got here in 2005 was how intense the market was
Yeah and then Pronger wanted out after one year. Nobody cares about playing there.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not sure why the Blues want Broberg at 4.6. Think the Oilers easily will match Holloway even if it is overpay.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Then how did tampa manage to do their thing where they had a top money guy injured and was able to replace him in the off season?
Because they were cap complient during season added at start of season look it up

Not sure why the Blues want Broberg at 4.6. Think the Oilers easily will match Holloway even if it is overpay.
They cant they already 350k in the whole.

Or he struggles cause he can handle it. You act like he is some elite guarenteed player.
You all pooed on bouchard how is he doing now. You guys do not have the patience to let a kid develop

Reactions: WhataKnight

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Because they were cap complient during season added at start of season look it up

You all pooed on bouchard how is he doing now. You guys do not have the patience to let a kid develop

Thing is they have a week to figure out something for Holloway and it should be easy enough. Rumours that Kane might go on LTIR, needs surgery and out for months into the season.

They could easily trade Ceci and save a few bucks there. Will always be teams looking for RHD. A team will take him.

But if Kane goes on LTIR they will have the money to match Holloway and it'll give them time to make a deal so they have space when Kane gets healthy

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

It is offseason, you can be over the cap right now. They can make trades to manoeuvre if need be.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
You can't actually match that if you're the Oilers on Brodude right? Like...that's wayyyyyyyyyyy too much for a guy who has put together the shortest of promising stretches possible. It's basically an offer sheet on "draft pedigree" and "tools". And 2 x $4.5 is a stupid big number for that. Especially when the Oilers are tight on cap.

The Holloway one...take it or leave it i guess. Probably not a huge deal either way, but he's at least useful depth, and the price isn't that outrageous if he ever starts scoring even a little bit more as expected.

But if i'm Edmonton, i'm letting them both go. Then using the draft capital returns to get a better depth Forward and a much more reliable "right now" defenceman somewhere.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I’m still wondering in what world the Blues think that at this point in his career they think Broberg is worth $4.5/per for 2 seasons? Sounds like desperation to me! So if the Oilers can’t keep him or Holloway, then how you deal with this is you trade them to the Blues division rivals!!
😉🤷🏻‍♂️

They don't think Broberg is worth the ridiculous sheet they just sent him - They just know Edmonton can't match the offer because of their horribly mismanaged CAP that idiot Holland left behind.

Pluck a couple young players with potential to grow for money....which apparently the owner has said is a-ok!. Weird you are seeing desperation by St. Louis....it's literally the exact opposite.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I wonder if a Kulak for Tucker Poolman+ makes sense for both teams now. Edmonton gets to keep both players through LTIR and Vancouver gets an upgrade on Forbort on the bottom pair?

Vancouver is not going to help out a divisional rival for a (minor, if that?) upgrade on Forbort who they just signed this summer.

I love this move for the Blues. Been a fan of the Oilers my entire life but as long as Bowman is a part of the team I wish nothing but this worst for this franchise.
Good man.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Because their actual value on the trade market is more than a 2nd + 3rd. If you don't need the cap space, you might as well take a stab at some young player's potentials.

Plus it doesn't hurt giving the franchise that employs Bowman the middle finger.
Idk if Broberg's value at 4.5 is more than a second. He's an exciting question mark, but it's a steep number for a question mark.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Then how did tampa manage to do their thing where they had a top money guy injured and was able to replace him in the off season?
You are allowed to be 10 percent over the cap in the offseason but have to be cap compliant when it starts. Then you go into LTIr. You can’t start the season in LTIR. Teams get around this by icing less players

Duder54

Dec 11, 2017
Canadian ex-pat in Zurich, Switzerland
I'm not letting Broberg go.. No way. Holloway.. no idea why the Blues would even offer sheet him other than no GM is going to respect Stan Bowman, so why not eh?
This was honestly one of my first thoughts when the Oilers hired him - how will his history affect transactions and relationships with other clubs (and similarly, how will it affect willingness of players to sign with Edmonton going forward).

The summer started off so well for the Oilers. Then they dropped a giant turd in the pool with the Bowman hire, and now St. Louis has done a wonderful job at putting the Oilers into a very tight spot.

Being an Oilers fan sure is fun sometimes. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad