Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
So is Broberg to next big thing or not?

Kidding Oiler's fans.

If I'm a Oiler's fan, both of these are a hard pass. The core is McDavid, Drai, and Bouchard. You fill the roster with cheap contracts who compliment your core.

Ain't nobody taking a paycut to be in Edmonton, so you hope for the best. With that being said McDavid, Drai, and Bouch is a legendary top 3, they're clearly the cup favs.
I mean, you're absolutely wrong on this.

I believe there were 3 NHL players that took a pay cut this off-season alone to play in Edmonton, definitely 2.

• Haha
Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are allowed to be 10 percent over the cap in the offseason but have to be cap compliant when it starts. Then you go into LTIr. You can’t start the season in LTIR. Teams get around this by icing less players

10% over is correct.

However, you can use LTIR to get under the cap before the season starts. And I believe it has to be approved by the NHL. The problem with LTIR before the season starts is it affects accrued cap space and I believe performance bonuses are automatically pushed the following season. It can snow ball on you and most GM's try to avoid it.

Reactions: CDN24 and LOFIN

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
View attachment 900946

Can’t fault a guy for going where he’s gonna make the most money, amirite? 🤣🤣🤣
The angst towards Kroenke has more to do with the fact that he lied to the fanbase and community leaders from Day 1, causing millions of public dollars to be spent on a task force that had 0 chance of keeping the team (ultimately Kroenke settled for hundreds of millions with the city after he sued) when he took over as majority owner (he incorporated the Rams as a company in California in 2010), not that he moved the team to LA.

Reactions: The Electrician

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
View attachment 900946

Can’t fault a guy for going where he’s gonna make the most money, amirite? 🤣🤣🤣
Yeah i guess we got battle hawks now and they pretty muxh sell out

The angst towards Kroenke has more to do with the fact that he lied to the fanbase and community leaders from Day 1, causing millions of public dollars to be spent on a task force that had 0 chance of keeping the team (ultimately Kroenke settled for hundreds of millions with the city after he sued) when he took over as majority owner (he incorporated the Rams as a company in California in 2010), not that he moved the team to LA.
400 mil yeap and he doesnt sell out lol

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
10% over is correct.

However, you can use LTIR to get under the cap before the season starts. And I believe it has to be approved by the NHL. The problem with LTIR before the season starts is it affects accrued cap space and I believe performance bonuses are automatically pushed the following season. It can snow ball on you and most GM's try to avoid it.
They wont be cap compliantwith said bonuses broberg and possibly hollaway are pretty much blues now thanks to bad cap managemrnt

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
We will see how the Oilers manage it. I can't pretend to know for sure.
They had peeps like perry on performance bonuses and they are 9 mil over cap if they sign broberg and halloway to the sheets. So they are beyond the 10% and the bonuses makes that a larger margin. Army knew exactly what he was doing

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You are allowed to be 10 percent over the cap in the offseason but have to be cap compliant when it starts. Then you go into LTIr. You can’t start the season in LTIR. Teams get around this by icing less players
I think there has bern LTIR rules changes around players who were on LTIR in the summer/camp that they dont have yo roster juggle.

This is actually an interesting point and really changes the calculus. If you're Holloway and think you were alone in being presented the OS, (and you don't want to leave Edmonton you just want a pay raise), you think "2.2, they'll match."

Knowing Broberg was also offered means the likelihood of not being back if Edmonton feels like have to choose one or the other becomes much higher.
I recall the OS offseasons by san jose with chicago. The did one player then did another a few weeks later

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Given the current compensation amounts I'm surprised we havent seen more of these occur in this format by st louis dud in 1-3 yr deals after ELC

I wonder if this will open the door to more aggressive analytical RFA moves like this. In the grand scheme of things, the compensation is very low in this range of contract offer and a while there has to be a leap of faith (and available short term cap) by the offering team…seems like there are plenty of rebuilding, talent starved teams that could do something like this.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This is actually an interesting point and really changes the calculus. If you're Holloway and think you were alone in being presented the OS, (and you don't want to leave Edmonton you just want a pay raise), you think "2.2, they'll match."

Knowing Broberg was also offered means the likelihood of not being back if Edmonton feels like have to choose one or the other becomes much higher.
I recall the OS offseasons by san jose with chicago. The did one player then did another a few weeks later

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
After a day I think we match on both of these guys.

They are good players. They will get this kind of money soon anyway. We were going to have to find cap room for them. We might as well do it now

Although make sure to sign Bouchard before next summer for God's sake

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I wonder if this will open the door to more aggressive analytical RFA moves like this. In the grand scheme of things, the compensation is very low in this range of contract offer and a while there has to be a leap of faith (and available short term cap) by the offering team…seems like there are plenty of rebuilding, talent starved teams that could do something like this.
being under the 1st round comp is worth the risk ..especially on a top 15 pick.

Reactions: BKarchitect

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
Vancouver is not going to help out a divisional rival for a (minor, if that?) upgrade on Forbort who they just signed this summer.

Good man.
It keeps them in LTIR over the season so they can’t upgrade at the TDL. If the Oilers have no other option, it helps us in more ways than one. Plus, Kulak is actually a pretty solid defensive defenseman.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
They had peeps like perry on performance bonuses and they are 9 mil over cap if they sign broberg and halloway to the sheets. So they are beyond the 10% and the bonuses makes that a larger margin. Army knew exactly what he was doing
Puckpedia has the Oilers at 7.2M over if they match both, which is under the 10% threshold. They can get down to 6.2 if they waive Josh Brown and send him down, leaving Stecher as their only healthy scratch defenseman, but I don't know when they can send Brown down. Or if they even want to.

The decision to match has to be entirely based on whether the Oilers feel the players are worth the cap hit vs the compensation, whether they can remove that 10% overage before the season starts, without only considering LTIR options, and whether they can replace the players in other ways. Losing Broberg means Stecher plays every night, and losing Broberg means one of our AHL guys will have to make the team (Savoie, Lavoie, Jarventie are probably the only ones close enough to consider), or they need to sign a 4th line forward.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You can't actually match that if you're the Oilers on Brodude right? Like...that's wayyyyyyyyyyy too much for a guy who has put together the shortest of promising stretches possible. It's basically an offer sheet on "draft pedigree" and "tools". And 2 x $4.5 is a stupid big number for that. Especially when the Oilers are tight on cap.

The Holloway one...take it or leave it i guess. Probably not a huge deal either way, but he's at least useful depth, and the price isn't that outrageous if he ever starts scoring even a little bit more as expected.

But if i'm Edmonton, i'm letting them both go. Then using the draft capital returns to get a better depth Forward and a much more reliable "right now" defenceman somewhere.
I expect they will match on Holloway. I'm not sure on Broberg. The 2nd round pick is probably fair compensation if we were to trade him, and you are correct in that 2X 4.5M is a ridiculous overpayment for him, but I'm not sure if they let him go or not. I think part of that might depend on if there are any realistic trade options for Cody Ceci. If not, it comes down to whether they would prefer to keep Kulak or Broberg, and Kulak has been an important player in the playoffs, and this team is in win now mode so keeping Kulak over Broberg would probably be the priority.

Reactions: biturbo19

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I’m not talking about fans, Im talking about the players in the Oilers dressing room, a collection of guys who are close to and doing everything they can to realize a lifelong dream. If young guys want to chase bags instead of being apart of that, it’s their right and I’m sure guys can understand that in a lot of situations. But in this case, you’ve got young players doing something that players almost never do, which could directly hinder the teams ability to maneuver the cap in a season that’s most likely one of the best chances most of the guys in the room will ever have at winning a Stanley Cup. I think it’s fair to say guys might be a little upset at a kid with less then a full season strong arming his way into a 4.6M cap hit in that season.

You kind of have to respect Broberg for it because it’s such a stupid amount of money it would be hard to say no to that but the Oilers don’t need to be paying a bottom pairing defender with 80 NHL games almost 5M dollars.

It's also an opportunity for the young guys to secure increased roles and grow as players. In my sports playing days, I have been a big piece of a middling team that overachieved and a smaller piece of a juggernaut. I preferred to be the bigger piece.

These guys gave an opportunity to play a bigger role in St. Louis and to develop into better players due to that increased role.

Maybe Broberg feels he didn't deserve to be in the AHL almost all year last year. Here's a team with a big gaping hole at 2LD and he only has to beat out the corpse of Ryan Suter and Perunivich who looks like some players' 12 year old kid skating at practice in daddy' uni. This team, believes in your potential and is willing to make a pretty rare move to bring you in and help you grow.

Or maybe Holloway thinks he's a C that deserves more than 4th line minutes. Maybe an increased role is more important than being jerked around as a bit-player in the push to ensure McJesus' legacy.

When Draisaitl asks for a huge raise squeezing out the amount Edmonton can pay it's depth, after this year, are people going to call him greedy for putting his bag above the team's success? Why didn't McD sign for half his contract? He still would have been set for life and the team could sign a ton better depth. People calling out athletes for decisions that affect their entire life and happiness are so hypocritical. You're not mad he's greedy, you're mad that he may not be on the team you root for anymore. (Not you specifically but fans in general)

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Because they were cap complient during season added at start of season look it up

They cant they already 350k in the whole.

You all pooed on bouchard how is he doing now. You guys do not have the patience to let a kid develop
They can go 10% over the cap in the summer. They just have to sort out the problem before the season starts. They also have Josh Brown showing as a main roster player at 1M when he is easily a guy we could slide through waivers and bury the hit on, if they have to.

Reactions: barriers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad