Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Remember when Oiler fans were defending the Penner offer sheet?
I seem to remember a lot of "This is the new way, you pay players for potential not what they did in the past". That was 17 years ago and was close to the same AAV offered.
As if anyone here would turn down 9 million dollars so that hey don't upset teammates who have made tens or even a hundred million dollars.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Again what? They didn't play Vegas or a healthy Canucks
And? The Canucks didn’t play a healthy Oilers either. McDavid, Draisaitl and Kane were all injured. Vegas lost to the Stars who the Oilers soundly beat.

Once again, being disingenuous doesn’t prove your point.

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Remember when Oiler fans were defending the Penner offer sheet?
I seem to remember a lot of "This is the new way, you pay players for potential not what they did in the past"
As if anyone here would turn down 9 million dollars so that hey don't upset teammates who have made tens or even a hundred million dollars.
The Penner offer sheet wasn't that bad actually. 4M for a guy who popped 30 goals for us once, 20 twice, and got us a 1st round pick in trade at the end of it (that we used on Klefbom). I'd say the only reason that particular line of deals didn't end up as a major net positive, is Klefbom's career ending injury.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
This is not good at all..

I went to bed with dreams of hollo in lineup for cheap... Bro in lineup for cheap and Kane ltir finally getting us a rhd upgrade!

Bro would be nuts not to take that but this is a kontkiniemi type offer. They are offering 150 percent of his value today.

Hollo is reasonable.

I had two issues with Jackson's move... We got older and he didn't address D. Now McLeod is gone. Hollo may be gone and bro may be gone. We will have an average age of 30 going into season with old man bouch being one of our youngest players lol.

I hate this

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Personally winning a Stanley Cup would be worth every cent to me. Not everybody will agree with that and that's fine, but championships are immortal.

You act like it's a foregone conclusion the Oilers are winning the Cup this year. You really expect these guys to leave millions on the table for the chance that they may win a Cup this year? The Oilers would trade either guy at the deadline if they felt it gave them a better chance of winning it all.

You and I both know the Oilers don't have the cap space for these deals. They needed each player to take crappy one year deals below their value. As you rightly say, the players put themselves first which I'm fine with. But there was no concessions or middle ground found here. This is binary. The players put themselves above the club. I'd do the same, but lots of hockey players don't and you see the most often on real contenders like the Oilers. Factor in the Canada thing.. the taxes thing and this is sure to enrage Canadians because it's a competitive disadvantage and why Canadian teams don't win Cups anymore. Why they fund the league in large part, but don't enjoy the fruits of success.

Broberg just blasted himself out of town for a 2nd rounder. This is painful for the Oilers.

I can see that from the Oilers POV, but this is what can happen when you play fast and loose with your cap space. The players may have put themselves above the club, but did the club treat them fairly? What did the team do to earn the loyalty that you are expecting of them? And is it worth leaving a few million on the table to do the Oilers a solid? I feel like veterans are more likely to take a below market value deal to win a Cup, not young guys trying to sign their first big ticket.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I think these are good gambles for the Blues. No way in hell that Broberg is worth 4.5m given his resume but he could be a 4.5m caliber guy as soon as this upcoming season IMO. Holloway, similar thing. I think the Blues want Broberg but offered for both to cause a scramble for the Oilers

Either way, the Blues are stealing a premium asset from the Oilers for pennies

Reactions: Memento

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I fully agree he needs to be managed better.

Yeah, Draisaitl should play for pennies and Holloway and Broberg should make his money because they are younger and need it more, any other insights you can spare me?
Your suggestion was the two young players should take one year low dollar deals in hopes of playing on a Cup winner next season. IMO players should get the best contract they can. If a player wants to chase a Cup that’s their choice too. We’ve seen that with older players.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
This seems like a savvy move for the Blues, providing they pull it off. I get the sticker shock at Broberg, but I think they still see potential there. Two guys with some upside that can step into their lineup and play right away, without paying deadline type prices.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
The Penner offer sheet wasn't that bad actually. 4M for a guy who popped 30 goals for us once, 20 twice, and got us a 1st round pick in trade at the end of it (that we used on Klefbom). I'd say the only reason that particular line of deals didn't end up as a major net positive, is Klefbom's career ending injury.
True, this deal could end up similarly.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If the Oilers don't need them, why not trade their rights before OS?
maybe their rights were less than the offer sheet compensation. So why no try and sign for less than if you cannot you can always take the compensation afterwards.

Really think Broberg could turn into a $4m guy, just not in the next two years.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
You act like it's a foregone conclusion the Oilers are winning the Cup this year. You really expect these guys to leave millions on the table for the chance that they may win a Cup this year? The Oilers would trade either guy at the deadline if they felt it gave them a better chance of winning it all.

I can see that from the Oilers POV, but this is what can happen when you play fast and loose with your cap space. The players may have put themselves above the club, but did the club treat them fairly? What did the team do to earn the loyalty that you are expecting of them? And is it worth leaving a few million on the table to do the Oilers a solid? I feel like veterans are more likely to take a below market value deal to win a Cup, not young guys trying to sign their first big ticket.
How many teams got to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final? Anything can happen but when you get that far and are running the same team back with reinforcements than yes, you are willingly leaving a team that has a strong chance at a Cup. If players don't want to be there on a team that strong you say goodbye and replace them with people who want to be there.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
As a kings fan he was a key depth guy in the 2012 run. Was a win for LA as well.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
If the Oilers don't need them, why not trade their rights before OS?
Well the Oilers don't NEED them but they are young players with potential for the future. No one can blame the Oilers for not setting aside 7 million to keep them though, they are worth about half that at this point. I don't blame the players at all for taking the offers though or the Blues for making the offers if they felt they were guys they wanted to invest in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad