Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
They'll match Holloway. He was likely going to get 1.5m + contract regardless from the Oilers. A little overpayment but I wouldn't let him walk for a 3rd. Oilers need his speed

That was my issue signing a nothing player like Perry to 1.4m when they were already in a tight spot. If Perry wanted to return it should have been league minimum or let him retire

No way they can touch Broberg. He looked good in the playoffs too. Wasn't a fan of him my previous viewings but I like the risk by St.Louis. He could be having a breakout year. He was obviously the guy St.Louis really wanted. The Holloway offer sheet isn't ridiculous so they likely expect Edmonton to match which will make it even tougher to match Broberg

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Personally winning a Stanley Cup would be worth every cent to me. Not everybody will agree with that and that's fine, but championships are immortal.
I would agree, if it was later in my career and I’d earned my retirement money.

The money they’ve now made with the offer sheet can set them and their family up for life if they want it to. Hard to refuse that.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
It may well irk ownership and the GM, but if they wanted the players then they probably should have offered them a fair contract before now if they wanted them on the team or traded them. As for teammates, NHL players generally seem to support their peers getting paid as much as possible. It's not really fair to expect these young players to sit around and wait for a contract offer for the good of the team. If loyalty was so important then they should have taken care of these guys before signing other players, or maybe the Oilers should have been smarter about how they use their cap space in general.
How would you know what NHL players generally seem to support? I doubt you have any idea what NHL players think.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
The big thing for me is the cup window. It may only be two more years. So what has changed from last years game 7 run?

Stecher for Deshairnes.
Skinner for Holloway
Ardvison for Folegle.
McCloed for a replacement level player.

At worse a wash, but probably slightly better.

Or better, IMHO match Holloway :

Stecher for Deshairnes.
Skinner for McLoed.
Ardvison for Folegle.

To me, if those moves were last year, Edmonton would have a cup.

If you match those two, you likely end up losing half your D plus at least Kane. Arguably its a set back, especially those two players do not play seriously better than they did last year.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Personally winning a Stanley Cup would be worth every cent to me. Not everybody will agree with that and that's fine, but championships are immortal.
Yeah but the tradeoff isn't 7.2M or a Stanley Cup. It's 7.2M or a better (but still extremely nebulous) chance at a Stanley Cup for a guy who is 23 and I am sure hopes to play 10+ more years in the NHL.

And the difference in money is the difference between washing out of the league tomorrow and having to get a job in a few years and washing out of it tomorrow and living a pretty reasonably comfortable life never working again.

Last edited:

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
they were going to be cheap depth, something the Oilers already needed more of.

conversely, even if they find a way to retain them it opens up Bouchard to another OS next season if they want to keep Draisaitl, and a mid team needing a puck mover would probably pay 2 1sts+ for a top 10 D
We have veterans taking discounts to contend for a cup, so it’s not as detrimental as some are making it out to be.

With that being said, I’d rather retain some cheaper talent now and expose Bouchard to a larger offer sheet later anyways. The compensation will be greater.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I think it's different when you are an established player that has already made millions. Then you can take a pay cut to try and win a Cup because you have already secured a career in the NHL. Neither Broberg or Holloway have even established themselves as full time, impact NHL players yet. They have not made any real money in professional hockey yet and a team is willing to heavily overpay them based on their current performance. I don't think in that case any players would turn down that kind of financial opportunity. They may never get a chance to make that kind of money ever again if their careers do not turn out.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It sucks, but it isn’t as crippling as people are making it out to be. Acting like we’ve lost two core players is inaccurate.

That defence was so atrocious it took them to the finals of the Stanley Cup final. Your take is outdated. They outplayed every team except for the Cup Champs.

Skinner scores more than Holloway. It’ll be trade off for more scoring versus size. Skinner gets his first taste of the playoffs soon enough.

Playoff match ups matter far more than style. The LA Kings should stylistically match up well against the Oilers, but it hasn’t done much for them.
Gloat all you want about that playoff run, but that was the easiest first two rounds a team could possibly ask for. A team the Oilers always beat who for some reason decide to bring an even worse goalie every year, and a team on their 3rd string goalie who still took it to 7. Ya'll are incredibly lucky Vegas shit the bed on the last day of the season.

I mean hey if you're happy with Skinner replacing Holloway more power to ya. Wanting more soft scoring when that hasn't been a need is an incredibly Leafy take but hell yea brother

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
How would you know what NHL players generally seem to support? I doubt you have any idea what NHL players think.

How would you? I listen to at least 3 hockey podcasts a week and that's the sense I get. You're welcome to disagree with me but you don't have any more info than I do.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
The salary would be one thing if it actually led to stability, but the salary is a trade off for (probably) not a ton of education and not a lot of typical job prospects. 850k for three years and then 60-100k for 7 years in the minors before they're out and working at a car dealership... that's not life changing, that's having most of their earning potential in their early 20s.

These guys prime earning potential is *now* - this is what is supposed to set the foundation for the next 40 years of their lives.
Holloway came through the NCAA system so I'm sure he had access to a pretty solid education compared to the average kid his age. Broberg, who knows. I don't know what he did as a kid.

2.5 million dollars for a 3 year elc is life changing money for a massive chunk of the population. Nevermind the fact that neither one of these kids will float through the AHL. They have shown they can play at the NHL level, even if that is as a bottom half of the lineup player only making making shy of a million dollars every year.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sure. If you were guaranteed a Cup that might be a consideration. But the Oilers are in a group of at least 6 teams with a solid chance at a Cup. I think some fans are overestimating their cup chances based on last year when we’ve often seen that getting close often doesn't mean a Cup the next year. Maybe the odds are a 16% to 20% chance tops.
I think pretty much every RFA would sign the Broberg deal in those circumstances. That’s over $5 million dollars of cash he would leave on the table. Plus the risk of a career ending injury ending his career early.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
The market rate is what someone else is willing to pay, so these actually are their market rates.
no these aren't really true market rates these are more transaction rates. Its the Blues were willing to pay $9.16M plus a 2nd to acquire Broberg and $4.58 M and a 3rd to acquire Holloway hoping that Edmonton does not want to pay $9.16 M to Broberg and $4.58 M to Holloway to keep them.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It may well irk ownership and the GM, but if they wanted the players then they probably should have offered them a fair contract before now if they wanted them on the team or traded them. As for teammates, NHL players generally seem to support their peers getting paid as much as possible. It's not really fair to expect these young players to sit around and wait for a contract offer for the good of the team. If loyalty was so important then they should have taken care of these guys before signing other players, or maybe the Oilers should have been smarter about how they use their cap space in general.
You and I both know the Oilers don't have the cap space for these deals. They needed each player to take crappy one year deals below their value. As you rightly say, the players put themselves first which I'm fine with. But there was no concessions or middle ground found here. This is binary. The players put themselves above the club. I'd do the same, but lots of hockey players don't and you see the most often on real contenders like the Oilers. Factor in the Canada thing.. the taxes thing and this is sure to enrage Canadians because it's a competitive disadvantage and why Canadian teams don't win Cups anymore. Why they fund the league in large part, but don't enjoy the fruits of success.

Broberg just blasted himself out of town for a 2nd rounder. This is painful for the Oilers.

Reactions: Fatass

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Gloat all you want about that playoff run, but that was the easiest first two rounds a team could possibly ask for. A team the Oilers always beat who for some reason decide to bring an even worse goalie every year, and a team on their 3rd string goalie who still took it to 7. Ya'll are incredibly lucky Vegas shit the bed on the last day of the season.

I mean hey if you're happy with Skinner replacing Holloway more power to ya. Wanting more soft scoring when that hasn't been a need is an incredibly Leafy take but hell yea brother
I prefer to base my posts on reality as opposed to hypotheticals, but you do you. Canuck fans have made enough excuses for their goaltending, I doubt they need your help anyways (which would be relevant if that third string goalie didn’t keep them in the series and stand on his head but whatever).

Yes, scoring more than the other team is how you win games. If LA could score, they wouldn’t be such an easy out every playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: thefutures

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Nurse needs to play better, I am one of his biggest supporters and for no reason he should have fallen off a cliff since his contract was signed. Ive seen Nurse play dependable hockey, I just hope he is able to figure out how to do it again or for the good of the team he will have to be cut.
You can't just cut him though, his contract is bullet proof.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sure. If you were guaranteed a Cup that might be a consideration. But the Oilers are in a group of at least 6 teams with a solid chance at a Cup. I think pretty much every RFA would sign the Broberg deal in those circumstances. That’s over $5 million dollars of cash he would leave on the table. Plus the risk of a career ending injury ending his career early.
You do want to set yourself up financially first before worrying about the Cup. 20 years from now, no one is going to judge either player for their inability to win a Cup if they never win one, unlike what they would say about Connor and Leon.

Neither player right now is a lock to play a decade in the NHL and make $20 mill. Get what you can first, and then have the option to take less to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad