Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
No arbitration rights, but they do have the right to sign an offersheet. The CBA is pretty clear in that.
Exactly. I get it too.

But until today... hardly any RFAs did this because of the locker-room consequences. NHL is very old school in this way. I can't say I know why, but it just is.

This is stunning. You and I both know it. This type of offersheet action could happen every single offseason but doesn't. It's really surprising it happened today. I'm thrilled about it. It's super fun.

And to sign them a dollar below the threshold for the next level of draft pick... that's so provocative and spicy.

Can someone please sign Seider or Raymond to one now!

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
But if he took 10 mil for one year then the club would have extra money to be better able to go for the Cup. Isn’t that your reasoning for Broberg and Holloway to accept less to stay in Edmonton?
Draisaitl isnt taking 10M, the situations of these players is completely different. Holloway and Broberg are depth players and are looking to make names for themselves still.
Yeah but the tradeoff isn't 7.2M or a Stanley Cup. It's 7.2M or a better (but still extremely nebulous) chance at a Stanley Cup for a guy who is 23 and I am sure hopes to play 10+ more years in the NHL.

And the different in money is the difference between washing out of the league tomorrow and having to get a job in a few years and washing out of it tomorrow and living a pretty reasonably comfortable life never working again.
Broberg will probably be a Blue and that's his choice, Holloway I have no idea why he signed this as now he will have enemies in the organization even if they match this.
Sure. If you were guaranteed a Cup that might be a consideration. But the Oilers are in a group of at least 6 teams with a solid chance at a Cup. I think pretty much every RFA would sign the Broberg deal in those circumstances. That’s over $5 million dollars of cash he would leave on the table. Plus the risk of a career ending injury ending his career early.
I understand why Broberg did it, I don't agree with him doing it but it makes more sense than Holloway.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
This literally makes zero sense.

If Edmonton trades Ceci & Kulak they can sign both Broberg & Holloway.

Not to mention Kane won't be all that difficult to trade if need be
Kane has a no movement clause .. and has used it this year if you if you believe reports ... does he strike you as a team player to get moved away from the second best team in the NHL last year?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Exactly. I get it too.

But until today... hardly any RFAs did this because of the locker-room consequences. NHL is very old school in this way. I can't say I know why, but it just is.

This is stunning. You and I both know it. This type of offersheet action could happen every single offseason but doesn't. It's really surprising it happened today. I'm thrilled about it. It's super fun.

And to sign them a dollar below the threshold for the next level of draft pick... that's so provocative and spicy.

Can someone please sign Seider or Raymond to one now!
It was one of the perfect storms. Edm is way to tight to the cap. Blues have cap room and structured the deals to limit the comp to a 2nd and 3rd rounder. These guys were not going to warranty a 1st round pick in RFA comp.
Or you are Carolina and you give up a first because you are a good team and are not worried about pick 22 or later.

What kind of cap room does Detroit have? We are talking 1st round pick compensation for OS their guys, which makes teams more hesitant to make the offer. You can't make an OS on both without having their necessary $16 mill or whatever in cap room right now. Only the weaker clubs have cap room and they aren't going to risk an unprotected first or 2 of them unless they are confident this would put them into the PO.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Also, guys want to win a cup. But there's also value, and real value for a lot of people, in having your employer act like they want you there. Broberg now has 9.6M reasons to suggest the Blues want him and believe in him. What have the Oilers shown?
Exactly. Woodcroft's refusal to play Broberg likely did some long term damage to the relationship with the player. Even with new coaches and management, players don't forget when their teams don't trust them.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
True, they would have to get creative and I'm not sure what that looks like, but im willing to see how he looks for another year with hopefully a new D partner.
He does not need a new D partner, he needs different deployment. He falters heavily in defensive assignments. Maybe a prime Orr or Lidstrom could help him, but for now they need to change his deployment to get away from his weaknesses.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
You do want to set yourself up financially first before worrying about the Cup. 20 years from now, no one is going to judge either player for their inability to win a Cup if they never win one, unlike what they would say about Connor and Leon.

Neither player right now is a lock to play a decade in the NHL and make $20 mill. Get what you can first, and then have the option to take less to win.
If they don't wanna be there than let them go, Oilers really don't need either of them.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I prefer to base my posts on reality as opposed to hypotheticals, but you do you. Canuck fans have made enough excuses for their goaltending, I doubt they need your help anyways (which would be relevant if that third string goalie didn’t keep them in the series and stand on his head but whatever).

Yes, scoring more than the other team is how you win games. If LA could score, they wouldn’t be such an easy out every playoffs.
If a 3rd string goalie is all it took for the Canucks to take it to 7, then surely Demko.puts yall down in 6. But sure whatever.

You want reality, how about this. Vancouver looks healthy and brought back basically the same team they started last season with. Vegas also looks healthy, lost a bit of forward depth but now has 3 #1 d-men and a full year of Hertl. Sure the Oilers have a great top 6, but do you trust that defence and goaltending to potentially beat both those teams in the playoffs?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Draisaitl isnt taking 10M, the situations of these players is completely different. Holloway and Broberg are depth players and are looking to make names for themselves still.

Broberg will probably be a Blue and that's his choice, Holloway I have no idea why he signed this as now he will have enemies in the organization even if they match this.

I understand why Broberg did it, I don't agree with him doing it but it makes more sense than Holloway.
So in your opinion it’s okay for a guy who has already made 10’s of millions to go for the max dollar still while the guys who haven’t made much at all should take less than they can make?
Broberg and Holloway signed good deals for them. If the Oilers want to keep the players they will find a way to do it. But the two young players made very smart financial decisions. If any player should take less on a one year deal (your premise) it should be Draisatl; he can afford it.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Yup.

With Drai & Bouchard needing massive raises next summer, hard to see the Oilers matching either...

Plus that they have no 1st/2nd picks this year...

Well played by the blues. Broberg will be viewed as worth his deal by the end of this year, and Holloway is ready to take a step forward.

Dumping Evander Kane now becomes the priority, but it's going to cost them, not sure they find a fit quickly enough.

Oilers screwed up by not biting the bullet, dumping Ceci, and getting both kids signed to bridge deals earlier this summer.

Might well have put a big dent in their cup contention window if they lose these two important & improving depth pieces while rushing out to pay declining vets like Skinner & Henrique

For the blues, who have 4 rfas next summer, could get sticky for them in both negotiating those extensions (given they just made premium offers to similarly young & unproven players) and possibly having a target on their back.
They have 7 days to match the offer sheets; not 7 days to be under the $88 million cap; during the off-season they can over by 10% so there isn't a rush to move money out; just be compliant when season starts

Reactions: Miller Time

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Oilers likely walk at those AAV and thank the Blues for providing the Oilers with the assets for key trade deadline acquisitions (picks near 40th and 70th overall).

Savoie and Wanner now have a better opportunity.
Instead of thanking the Blues, the question is whether the Oil could have done better than a 2nd and a 3rd in the open market for Broberg and Holloway and how much better.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
They are going to match Holloway and take the 2nd for Broberg.

This was a double-offer sheet in order to maximize the chances that St.Louis gets Broberg. St.Louis recognized that even if Broberg could develop into a very good defenseman over the next few years, the Oilers aren't in a position to pay a defenseman who was barely penciled into their top 6 4.5M.

Assuming there is no funny business with Kane staying on LTIR until the playoffs, keeping Broberg likely means attaching a major asset to Ceci, and still having cap issues.

You also have to assume that Edmonton's current regime really likes Broberg, because there is no way that St.Louis didn't at least ask Edmonton what it would take to get Broberg in a trade at some point this offseason. I doubt they straight up said to the Oilers, "we're gonna fawk u over brah, just trade him to us", because then the Oilers would have the heads up to move him somewhere else - but they probably at least called and said what would it take to get him, and the Oilers maybe said a 1st round pick. You don't waste 9M in cap space overpaying a project who will likely play bottom pairing minutes unless you're getting a massive discount on his salary.

Reactions: Reality Czech

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
If a 3rd string goalie is all it took for the Canucks to take it to 7, then surely Demko.puts yall down in 6. But sure whatever.

You want reality, how about this. Vancouver looks healthy and brought back basically the same team they started last season with. Vegas also looks healthy, lost a bit of forward depth but now has 3 #1 d-men and a full year of Hertl. Sure the Oilers have a great top 6, but do you trust that defence and goaltending to potentially beat both those teams in the playoffs?
Being disingenuous doesn’t prove your point. The third string goalie played like a #1 goalie and stood on his head.

“If Demko was healthy, you lose in 6”

“If I was a NHL player, I’d be rich”

Again, your hypotheticals are meaningless. Back to reality now…

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If they don't wanna be there than let them go, Oilers really don't need either of them.
Teams always leave their RFAs to the end. But, you always want to make sure that you have enough to sign them to what an arbitrator would award them (even if they don't have arb rights), just to ensure that you are protected against an OS. $7.4 mill combined is what STL has OS them to. How much was Edm budgeting to keep them at? $5 mil, $5.5, $6 mill?

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

Yes.

Again.

Reactions: PuckG

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
He does not need a new D partner, he needs different deployment. He falters heavily in defensive assignments. Maybe a prime Orr or Lidstrom could help him, but for now they need to change his deployment to get away from his weaknesses.
I fully agree he needs to be managed better.
So in your opinion it’s okay for a guy who has already made 10’s of millions to go for the max dollar still while the guys who haven’t made much at all should take less than they can make?
Broberg and Holloway signed good deals for them. If the Oilers want to keep the players they will find a way to do it. But the two young players made very smart financial decisions. If any player should take less on a one year deal (your premise) it should be Draisatl; he can afford it.
Yeah, Draisaitl should play for pennies and Holloway and Broberg should make his money because they are younger and need it more, any other insights you can spare me?

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Crazy people thinking these young guys owe the Oilers anything. Broberg just won the lottery. He was likely signing with Edmonton under 2m

He was also believed to have asked for a trade at one point so he wasn't a fan of how he was being developed. Win win for him

I was excited to see Broberg get some decent minutes this year and see if he could build on that good playoffs. I honestly hope he turns out to be a stud just so I can laugh at our management a little more

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Our defense and goaltending was enough to beat Vancouver last year, and that was already with Vancouver having a goalie that stole some games. Vegas looks healthy, and are a good team, but they aren't bullet-proof either. We just went to the cup final, and our roster changes included adding two 2nd line wingers, losing McLeod, Desharnai and now potentially one or both of Broberg and Holloway. We lost fringe players, and the possibly emergence of Broberg into a top 4 defenseman. Of course it isn't ideal, but it also doesn't look like a massive loss. We can always bolster the blueline at the trade deadline. Goaltending is the same as last year, with Skinner likely improving due to experience. No issues there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad