Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
For those unfamiliar with the Blues, this is their thinking. We are trying to get back to our 2019 identity. You can see it in our draft picks. We want pesky, possession forwards who play a 2-way game, especially in the bottom 6. We want long, rangy D who can defend and transition, ala Bouwmeester.

We are in a retool, trying to add young players and not add old UFAs. We have cap space and no pressing needs in next 2 years. We are content to develop slowly and not spend big on UFA.

These two players fit those molds. We are gambling they reach another level of their potential. We have the cap, so we can overpay to make it more likely Edmonton passes. Then after 2 years when we are hopefully starting to be competitive, we can renegotiate deals more in line with their value at that point. They will still be RFAs.

I like the deal and hope we get both.
And the Blues don't exactly have a pipeline of defenders; especially top of the lineup two-way left-handed defenders. Buchinger and Lindstein are fairly small puck movers and Tucker is a #6/7 guy at best. Perunovich is not a top 4 guy either.

Bringing in PO Joseph and the attempt at Broberg is basically a very cheap way to inject youngish talent to an aging blueline. Both of those guys have paid their dues and developed in the AHL and both stepped up at the end of the season to show a glimpse that they are ready for increase usage in the NHL.

I think they are expecting Holloway to get matched; which is OK since they have a ready pipeline of forwards coming up; but they can put Broberg in their top 4; probably even their 1st pair with Parayko and it will improve their team.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Silovs played 7 games and had an .882 sv %. To Oilers fans this is a great goalie. Having a vezina candidate instead would have made no difference in a 1 goal series.:sarcasm:
maybe Quinn Hughes or Pettersson should've shown up in the series instead of going MIA

Oilers outshot and outplayed the Nucks in 5 of the 7 games and the Nucks still couldn't beat a goalie with a worst save % and an AHL goalie lol

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The Penner offer sheet wasn't that bad actually. 4M for a guy who popped 30 goals for us once, 20 twice, and got us a 1st round pick in trade at the end of it (that we used on Klefbom). I'd say the only reason that particular line of deals didn't end up as a major net positive, is Klefbom's career ending injury.

Do you think that they were paying Penner $4.3MM under an 88MM Salary cap for some reason?

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Crazy people thinking these young guys owe the Oilers anything. Broberg just won the lottery. He was likely signing with Edmonton under 2m

He was also believed to have asked for a trade at one point so he wasn't a fan of how he was being developed. Win win for him

I was excited to see Broberg get some decent minutes this year and see if he could build on that good playoffs. I honestly hope he turns out to be a stud just so I can laugh at our management a little more

Did you see the Canadian media in the finals? They were pissed they couldn't just hand the Oilers the cup. Their HF contingent definitely thinks the Oilers are owed for some reason.

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
They have 7 days to match the offer sheets; not 7 days to be under the $88 million cap; during the off-season they can over by 10% so there isn't a rush to move money out; just be compliant when season starts
Yeah, that's right.

Though not sure it'll make much difference from a decision pov... Other teams are in the same boat, so offloading ~8M$ won't be any easier. The cost to dump those players will only get higher the closer we get to opening day & the more desperation they are facing.

Not too mention the distraction and stress it'd cause the group heading into camp with that obvious need still lingering.

Bad situation for the Oilers. Will be interesting to see how they dig themselves out of it.

Will also be interesting to see if any other OS follow... Harley in Dallas is an interesting one... Stars are cap crunched as well and he's a player I could see a few cap flex teams sniff around at. Flames in particular have the room & the need...

Reactions: notsocommonsense

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Your suggestion was the two young players should take one year low dollar deals in hopes of playing on a Cup winner next season. IMO players should get the best contract they can. If a player wants to chase a Cup that’s their choice too. We’ve seen that with older players.
Those are depth players, if you cant see the difference between Draisaitl and those two i dont know why im still replying to you.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Silovs played 7 games and had an .882 sv %. To Oilers fans this is a great goalie. Having a vezina candidate instead would have made no difference in a 1 goal series.:sarcasm:
Watching the actual games would help you quite a bit. Even Canuck fans were singing Silovs praises through most of the series and the threads are still available for you to read.

The Vezina candidate hasn’t been healthy in years. The expectation that he comes back into a series post injury and is suddenly the exact same is something else…

Hypothetically, a healthy McDavid, Drai and Kane could end the series in 4.

But once again, reality vs hypotheticals. You prefer hypotheticals but some of us operate different.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
maybe Quinn Hughes or Pettersson should've shown up in the series instead of going MIA

Oilers outshot and outplayed the Nucks in 5 of the 7 games and the Nucks still couldn't beat a goalie with a worst save % and an AHL goalie lol
On the flip side, the Oiler got taken to 7 with an AHL goalie and $20m in underperforming EP/Hughes.

I wouldn't be so confident bringing back the same shit D core and same shit goalie if I were an Oilers fan.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden

Ah yes Stan head in the sand Bowman supporter #1, you realize what you're saying right, you outplayed us like that and barely beat us, good luck next year.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
How many teams got to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final? Anything can happen but when you get that far and are running the same team back with reinforcements than yes, you are willingly leaving a team that has a strong chance at a Cup. If players don't want to be there on a team that strong you say goodbye and replace them with people who want to be there.
A strong chance? 16-20% maybe?
I wouldn’t even blame Florida RFA’s for taking an extra $5 million. It’s not about not wanting to be there. It’s about money.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
You mean if you ignore his bad games he was good??
You've been playing the if's and but's game. It seems to rustle your jimmies that Oiler fans have confidence in their team.

Maybe if Demko played it would have been different. Maybe if Demko played, he gets injured again anyways. Maybe if demko played, the Canucks capitalize on poor Oilers goaltending and close it out. Maybe if Demko played, he has just as poor of a showing as other elite goalies did in the playoffs this year.

But Demko didn't play. Demko was hurt again. The Canucks didn't capitalize on poor goaltending, and then it morphed into really solid goaltending. The Canucks couldn't close it out, and they lost.

If my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle. Who gives a shit?

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
A strong chance? 16-20% maybe?
I wouldn’t even blame Florida RFA’s for taking an extra $5 million. It’s not about not wanting to be there. It’s about money.
If they dont believe in the team being good enough why would you want them there anyways.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
On the flip side, the Oiler got taken to 7 with an AHL goalie and $20m in underperforming EP/Hughes.

I wouldn't be so confident bringing back the same shit D core and same shit goalie if I were an Oilers fan.
why are you still crying 2 months later in a thread irrelevant to the topic? that playoff run must have broke you

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Ill always be rooting against Edmonton for how dirty the players played and the fans are beyond awful, which is a lot from a Panther fan with rivalries against New York, Boston and Toronto lol. So yea this makes me happy.

They think they're owed, so none of that matters to them, especially since the Canadian media tells them as much.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If they dont believe in the team being good enough why would you want them there anyways.
They probably believe the team is good enough to be a one in five shot which is as good as it gets in the NHL. They are certainly not a lock for a Cup. I don’t blame either of them for taking the money. I’m sure you would have done the same. You’re letting your fandom get in the way of looking at this objectively tbh.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
They probably believe the team is good enough to be a one in five shot. They are certainly not a lock for a Cup. I don’t blame either of them for taking the money. I’m sure you would have done the same. You’re letting your fandom get in the way of looking at this objectively tbh.
Id be looking at it as hurting the chances of my teammates, and I would never do that personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad