Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Yeah no offense but I call bs on that.
You can disagree with my opinion and thats ok, but the team is above any player not named McDavid/Draisaitl looking to maximize their salary during this window.
You’re the one who suggested Broberg and Holloway should accept one year low dollar contracts so they could stay in Edmonton and (therefore) have a good chance to win the Cup. IMO all players should pursue the most money they can, regardless of their age or status. Draisatl should get as much as he can too. If that means he has to leave as a UFA then he should.
See above

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Yeah, that's right.

Though not sure it'll make much difference from a decision pov... Other teams are in the same boat, so offloading ~8M$ won't be any easier. The cost to dump those players will only get higher the closer we get to opening day & the more desperation they are facing.

Not too mention the distraction and stress it'd cause the group heading into camp with that obvious need still lingering.

Bad situation for the Oilers. Will be interesting to see how they dig themselves out of it.

Will also be interesting to see if any other OS follow... Harley in Dallas is an interesting one... Stars are cap crunched as well and he's a player I could see a few cap flex teams sniff around at. Flames in particular have the room & the need...
Yep for sure. It just seemed like a majority of posters on here think the Oilers have 7 days to move out salary.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ya'll have been an awfully confident bunch for a team who got the easiest first 2 rounds imaginable, while avoiding Vegas who made the Oilers their bitch a year ago and Colorado who looked like the best team in the west.

I wouldn't count on that route happening two playoffs in a row. Surely they'll have to play someone besides LA eventually. And avoiding the two previous cup champs was a stroke of luck only the shitty divisional.playoff format could provide
Vancouver was an easy 2nd round? We might have had the easiest 1st round in the west, but not in the league.

Vegas didn't make Edmonton "their bitch" a year previously. They beat us in the playoffs, but a couple of players on that Vegas team have publicly said the Oilers were the hardest team they played in the playoffs that year by a fair margin. The series was 4 - 2, not a sweep, and it was tied after 4 games.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Understood, just that they have more time (nearly 2 months) than what people seem to assume on here.
They do, but you'd think that they would want to have some solid plans for how they are going to create the needed cap space before committing to matching the offer sheets.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
My friend, in the world of the hard salary cap, they can't match those offer sheets. They are already over the cap.

They'd need to make some major roster moves at the dead time of summer with zero leverage and a gun to their head.

Do they trade away RNH for the cap space? Hyman? Ekholm? Does that make the Oilers better?

You say it like it's as simple as putting pen to paper. You and I both know it's not that simple.
I know i agreed with you, Holloway and Broberg are both likely gone within a few years.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
So both players have signed ?
Yes. The Oilers have until next Tuesday to match. The clock is ticking.

I know i agreed with you, Holloway and Broberg are both likely gone within a few years.
No you're not. You're ignorning the salary cap that prevents them from being able to match.

Broberg is gone within 7 days. He played his last game as an Oiler. Holloway... I'd wager they match that offer. He's important to them and affordable at that AAV.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Agreed could easily get a 5th
In a vacuum - that's a big maybe but see below...
When the rest of the league knows you're trying to move him to clear cap he is.
Agreed. Moving Ceci IS negative value. I don't care how dim-witted you are, if you're an actual NHL GM (even kyle dumbass) and you realize the situation the oilers find themselves in - you put them over a barrel and force them to massively overpay to take on anyone that's going to help EDM salary-cap wise.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
And the Canucks didn't play a healthy Oilers. You new to playoffs hockey?
the difference is the Canucks caused the injuries to the Oilers, they were the ones that physically dominated them and created a lot of their injuries, it was part of their game plan when they traded for Zadorov along with the other giants in the back. Most of Vancouver's were inherited.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imo the Oilers should find a way to keep them. Match the sheets and put Kane on LTIR. Cross the cap nightmare bridge when we get to it

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The f*** do you want me to say? They suck, it was all a fluke and they don't stand a chance in hell? Use your brain.
Some humility would be a start. Oilers fans running around like they're guaranteed another cup finals or even win ain't it, especially with the easy first 2 rounds they had.

It's great to be confident in your team, but yall acting like losing Broberg from an already bad D core that needed a lot to go their way last playoffs is nothing really is absurd.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
They do, but you'd think that they would want to have some solid plans for how they are going to create the needed cap space before committing to matching the offer sheets.
Which is why the strategy of the Blues is a masterclass. New GM in Edmonton; uncertain timeline on Kane's injury, just after the spend big on UFA's. Edmonton really set themselves up for this.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not sure why this needs to turn into another Canucks vs. Oilers thread. The fact is the Oilers won the series and made game 7 of the SCF. As we’ve seen in the past that doesn’t mean a lot for next year.
Will the Oilers be one of the favourites? Sure.
As will Florida. But realistically that’s just a 20% or so chance at the Cup at best.
Do these moves hurt Edmonton somewhat whether they match or not. I’d say clearly the answer is yes.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Vancouver was an easy 2nd round? We might have had the easiest 1st round in the west, but not in the league.

Vegas didn't make Edmonton "their bitch" a year previously. They beat us in the playoffs, but a couple of players on that Vegas team have publicly said the Oilers were the hardest team they played in the playoffs that year by a fair margin. The series was 4 - 2, not a sweep, and it was tied after 4 games.
Vancouver with a 3rd string goalie should've been an easy round, but even they manged to make the Oilers look pedestrian.

Vegas as soon as Hill went in absolutely did. Ya'll only looked competitive against, funny enough, another 3rd/4th string goalie

snag

Feb 22, 2014
It's hilarious. The Oilers are paying C Brown $3.25MM of current season cap space for last season where they fell just one game short of glory.

And that whole contract construct just blew up in the Oilers face spectacularly this morning. Consequences. Gotta love it.

The idea Drai now resigns is even less likely because the Oilers just got worse this morning. They just lost one and maybe two players on expected low low AAV deals playing middle six, middle pair minutes. They can pretend it's not, but the Oilers took one in the nuts today. Well.. two in the nuts. I'm sure their front office is freaking out. They now find themselves squarely between a rock and a hard place. And if they do nothing, all they get are measly 2nd and 3rd round picks... I guess they do have some more trade fodder I suppose. Can those picks be traded as soon as the 7 day window expires?

Broberg and Holloway combined for 40 games and 29 points. Even with the playoff games in consideration, this won't affect Draisaitl re-signing.

Reactions: dukeofjive

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You can disagree with my opinion and thats ok, but the team is above any player not named McDavid/Draisaitl looking to maximize their salary during this window.

See above
As a fan you’re entitled to that type of altruistic point of view. But that’s simply not realistic in the real world. No young player would view it that way though leaving that much money on the table.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
It's completely relevant. Yall seem to be fine losing Broberg from an already brutal defence
They were 9th in GA last year. 5th after that brutal 11 game start. They had the same GA as florida in the playoffs.

Thats hardly brutal. How Edmonton can be described as having brutal D and a historically bad goaltender while putting up such a low GAA is mind boggling .......

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Vancouver with a 3rd string goalie should've been an easy round, but even they manged to make the Oilers look pedestrian.

Vegas as soon as Hill went in absolutely did. Ya'll only looked competitive against, funny enough, another 3rd/4th string goalie
Take it elsewhere. This thread isn't for re-imaging what happened and your pining for an alternate reality. You lost. Get over it.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
"Broberg isn't worth the price"

Offer Sheets 101 - if you offer fair value, the other team will match. The team that offer sheets is forcing a trade, so they need to find an angle to which it works out.

Also, I wonder if the Blues are going for a psychological attack here with two offer-sheets. As in, are they hoping to "force" the Oilers into thinking they have a choice to make between the two players, and Holloway being more fair price, get Broberg?

After all, Broberg is a former 8th overall, 6ft4, 212 lbs, only 23, and produced good offense in the AHL. I haven't seen him play much, but on paper, seems like a GM's wet dream for 4M and a 2nd pick.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Imo this was to get Broberg

Holloway is worth that but it's more than we would have paid. That extra hit makes the Broberg offer sheet hard to match

Broberg is the much more important player imo. Our defense is the weakness. He really had a coming out party this playoffs
They are both gone
Yes. The Oilers have until next Tuesday to match. The clock is ticking.

No you're not. You're ignorning the salary cap that prevents them from being able to match.

Broberg is gone within 7 days. He played his last game as an Oiler. Holloway... I'd wager they match that offer. He's important to them and affordable at that AAV.
Why are you trying to tell me what my opinion is? What have i said that makes you think im not agreeing with you? I stated they are both gone, what else is there to say.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Some humility would be a start. Oilers fans running around like they're guaranteed another cup finals or even win ain't it, especially with the easy first 2 rounds they had.

It's great to be confident in your team, but yall acting like losing Broberg from an already bad D core that needed a lot to go their way last playoffs is nothing really is absurd.
no one said this, just your salty and bitter bias interprets this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad