Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
You've been playing the if's and but's game. It seems to rustle your jimmies that Oiler fans have confidence in their team.

Maybe if Demko played it would have been different. Maybe if Demko played, he gets injured again anyways. Maybe if demko played, the Canucks capitalize on poor Oilers goaltending and close it out. Maybe if Demko played, he has just as poor of a showing as other elite goalies did in the playoffs this year.

But Demko didn't play. Demko was hurt again. The Canucks didn't capitalize on poor goaltending, and then it morphed into really solid goaltending. The Canucks couldn't close it out, and they lost.

If my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle. Who gives a shit?
Ya'll have been an awfully confident bunch for a team who got the easiest first 2 rounds imaginable, while avoiding Vegas who made the Oilers their bitch a year ago and Colorado who looked like the best team in the west.

I wouldn't count on that route happening two playoffs in a row. Surely they'll have to play someone besides LA eventually. And avoiding the two previous cup champs was a stroke of luck only the shitty divisional.playoff format could provide

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
How many teams got to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final? Anything can happen but when you get that far and are running the same team back with reinforcements than yes, you are willingly leaving a team that has a strong chance at a Cup. If players don't want to be there on a team that strong you say goodbye and replace them with people who want to be there.

Sure, they have a great chance but these guys may never get a contract offer like this again. Or maybe they felt disrespected by the club for prioritizing other guys before them. I don't think there are many guys that age who are willing to leave millions on the table for a chance they win the Cup when the team would dump them for an upgrade at the blink of an eye if they could. But I get where you're coming from. The Blues have lost good players in recent years due to having too much depth, so there's always that risk. I'm sure the Oilers will be fine regardless, but this is probably a curve ball they weren't expecting.

Reactions: Czechboy

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You act like it's a foregone conclusion the Oilers are winning the Cup this year. You really expect these guys to leave millions on the table for the chance that they may win a Cup this year? The Oilers would trade either guy at the deadline if they felt it gave them a better chance of winning it all.

I can see that from the Oilers POV, but this is what can happen when you play fast and loose with your cap space. The players may have put themselves above the club, but did the club treat them fairly? What did the team do to earn the loyalty that you are expecting of them? And is it worth leaving a few million on the table to do the Oilers a solid? I feel like veterans are more likely to take a below market value deal to win a Cup, not young guys trying to sign their first big ticket.
It's hilarious. The Oilers are paying C Brown $3.25MM of current season cap space for last season where they fell just one game short of glory.

And that whole contract construct just blew up in the Oilers face spectacularly this morning. Consequences. Gotta love it.

The idea Drai now resigns is even less likely because the Oilers just got worse this morning. They just lost one and maybe two players on expected low low AAV deals playing middle six, middle pair minutes. They can pretend it's not, but the Oilers took one in the nuts today. Well.. two in the nuts. I'm sure their front office is freaking out. They now find themselves squarely between a rock and a hard place. And if they do nothing, all they get are measly 2nd and 3rd round picks... I guess they do have some more trade fodder I suppose. Can those picks be traded as soon as the 7 day window expires?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They can match and stay under the off-season upper limit (10% over the $88 mil; or $96.8) as they would be at $95,225,541 if they did. That means they have more than 7 days to shed cap space in a trade (until the season opens).
Sure, but they would still have a lot of pressure to unload salary and that is likely going to be quite expensive.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
It's hilarious. The Oilers are paying C Brown $3.25MM of current season cap space for last season where they fell just one game short of glory.

And that whole contract construct just blew up in the Oilers face spectacularly this morning. Consequences. Gotta love it.

The idea Drai now resigns is even less likely because the Oilers just got worse this morning. They just lost one and maybe two players on expected low low AAV deals playing middle six, middle pair minutes. They can pretend it's not, but the Oilers took one in the nuts today. Well.. two in the nuts. I'm sure their front office is freaking out.
Which is why even if they match those contracts its only a matter of time before they are both gone.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Those are depth players, if you cant see the difference between Draisaitl and those two i dont know why im still replying to you.
You’re the one who suggested Broberg and Holloway should accept one year low dollar contracts so they could stay in Edmonton and (therefore) have a good chance to win the Cup. IMO all players should pursue the most money they can, regardless of their age or status. Draisatl should get as much as he can too. If that means he has to leave as a UFA then he should.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The Penguins win the deal no matter what.

They traded a 2026 5th round pick to the Blues for the 2025 Ottawa 3d rounder so that the Blues could get the 2025 2d switched to a 2026 2d

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Ya'll have been an awfully confident bunch for a team who got the easiest first 2 rounds imaginable, while avoiding Vegas who made the Oilers their bitch a year ago and Colorado who looked like the best team in the west.

I wouldn't count on that route happening two playoffs in a row. Surely they'll have to play someone besides LA eventually. And avoiding the two previous cup champs was a stroke of luck only the shitty divisional.playoff format could provide
Oilers played a 3rd place team and 3 straight Division winners

Vegas, the year before....played a WC team, 2nd place team...avoided the Cup champs...then another WC team in Florida that barely eeked into the playoffs, including an injured Tkachuk

but the Oilers path was "easy" LMAO

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Silovs played 7 games and had an .882 sv %. To Oilers fans this is a great goalie. Having a vezina candidate instead would have made no difference in a 1 goal series.:sarcasm:
It's pretty easy to categorize an entire series based off of save percentage. Silovs had awful save percentages in game 1 (which the Canucks won anyway) and 6 (where the Nucks only scored 1), which pulled his series save% way down. I could see an argument I suppose, for Demko stealing game 2 where Silovs lost it, but Vancouver didn't lose because of goaltending, they lost because they didn't score more than 2 goals in any of their losses in games 4, 6 or 7. So unless Demko was only letting one goal in those games, the Oilers still win them.

The biggest thing though, is that this series is played completely differently if Demko is in net. We can't say which team would have won based off of what happened, because the strategies would have been different for both sides.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Which is why even if they match those contracts its only a matter of time before they are both gone.
My friend, in the world of the hard salary cap, they can't match those offer sheets. They are already over the cap.

They'd need to make some major roster moves at the dead time of summer with zero leverage and a gun to their head.

Do they trade away RNH for the cap space? Hyman? Ekholm? Does that make the Oilers better?

You say it like it's as simple as putting pen to paper. You and I both know it's not that simple.

Reactions: Fatass

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

You can keep coming up with all the caveats you want, it doesn't matter. You can discredit whatever teams you want, you can pump up whatever other teams you want. I don't care.

I'm confident in the Oilers because they just went to game 7 of the finals. They have the best player in hockey, and they made good moves this offseason.

The f*** do you want me to say? They suck, it was all a fluke and they don't stand a chance in hell? Use your brain.

Reactions: dukeofjive

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015

A lot of words just to be disingenuous again. If two seasons ago matters more to you than last season, you can’t be helped anyways.

Once again, reality > hypotheticals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad