Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Being disingenuous doesn’t prove your point. The third string goalie played like a #1 goalie and stood on his head.

“If Demko was healthy, you lose in 6”

“If I was a NHL player, I’d be rich”

Again, your hypotheticals are meaningless. Back to reality now…
I'm a Canucks fan - The series was close until games 6 and 7 where the Canucks put up like 40 shots total in 2 games. It wouldn't have mattered if they had prime Roy in there.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Losing Broberg will hurt the Oilers for sure. Even if it’s an overpayment for his potential, I think Broberg is worth the gamble.

Former 8th overall, 6’4 212lbs, fantastic skater, very productive in the AHL, has puck moving abilities, and developing defensive game.

The Oilers have not been interested in getting him games and his development. And then prioritizing other signings over him this offseason? They deserve every bit of this.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I’ve never seen so much hatred directed toward a professional sports team since I would say The New England Patriots (during “Deflategate/winning” era). :laugh:

You hire a guy like Boyman you get it in the backside!

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
If you ask me the Blues clearly targeted Broberg with these offer sheets. They know the Oilers can match Holloway, but even if they do, they still have to run a minimum roster after Kane comes back.

So by forcing the Oilers to pay Holloway now and prevent them from making any sort of 1 year low cost deal, it makes keeping Broberg impossible.

Makes even more sense with Krug being out the entire season.

Smart move if Broberg plays like he did in the playoffs. Welcome back Bowman :D

Reactions: Raistlin

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
$4.5mil for Broberg? That seems like a lot.

Neither are major roster players for the Oilers. Might suit them better to take the picks as capital for the TDL.
Holloway should be matched. That's relatively cheap, and the compensation for losing him isn't high (3rd) enough to let him walk.

He's a physical guy who doesn't lack offensive upside. That's something you don't let walk at a relatively cheap price.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Diabolical Doug Armstrong baby

a3570207-9d5c-4722-a530-8dcbb6a287ac_text.gif

knew Holloway the Calgary kid would be looking for a way out as soon as he could
At least he managed to get some joy from hockey in Edmonton before he left. He was never getting that at home.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Losing Broberg will hurt the Oilers for sure. Even if it’s an overpayment for his potential, I think Broberg is worth the gamble.

Former 8th overall, 6’4 212lbs, fantastic skater, very productive in the AHL, has puck moving abilities, and developing defensive game.

The Oilers have not been interested in getting him games and his development. And then prioritizing other signings over him this offseason? They deserve every bit of this.
or maybe they were waiting for an offer sheet

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
I’ve never seen so much hatred directed toward a professional sports team since I would say The New England Patriots (during “Deflategate/winning” era). :laugh:
For me it’s the 4 #1 OVRs, until they finally scored the generational one. They played well within the rules for this and their fans suffered, sure. But I still can’t get over how ridiculous that was. Call it luck or a failure of the league to institute any sort of drafting rule that would prohibit it.

Then follow this up with the monumental incompetence of Chiarelli and to a lesser extent, Holland. They’ve done everything in their power to not win a championship, and yet McDrai in their prime has been enough to overcome that. They’ve largely resorted to hiring villains to try to overcome how badly they’ve botched things.

They’re a tough franchise to like.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Yes a young player starts rough. If we don't match then that means we endured all the tough games and lost him just as he got good.
I was one of his biggest supporters, my old account BouchBaby defended Broberg from Cyclonesweep attacks constantly. He does look to have settled in at the NHL level during the playoffs so it does hurt to lose him for a 2nd but I dont see any other choice here.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Is the compensation based on the AAV or on the total amount of the contract?

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
For me it’s the 4 #1 OVRs, until they finally scored the generational one. They played well within the rules for this and their fans suffered, sure. But I still can’t get over how ridiculous that was. Call it luck or a failure of the league to institute any sort of drafting rule that would prohibit it.

Then follow this up with the monumental incompetence of Chiarelli and to a lesser extent, Holland. They’ve done everything in their power to not win a championship, and yet McDrai in their prime has been enough to overcome that. They’ve largely resorted to hiring villains to try to overcome how badly they’ve botched things.

They’re a tough franchise to like.
so what's the "correct" and "likeable" way to build a franchise?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
If you want to look at Ekholm and a bunch of nobodies as good more power to ya.

It's hard to get scored on when McDrai can own the puck. Their defence is not responsible for those numbers

Then why did they have so many goals scored against them in all those years with those two .....

For those oiler fans wanting to trade Nurse? He has 4 years left. 50%+ 4 first rounders to move that deal

And he plays the NMC card ....... It pointless to even think about it.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Imagine being a blues fan and coming to read about the offer sheet and what oil fans think (and other blues fans).

Then arriving to read about Nucks fans feelings about playoffs.lol.

Funny sidenote from all of this.. bro and bouch will be paid roughly the same next year.

Bro was frustrated.. asked for a trade.. didn't get it and now won the lottery. Happy for him.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
They are both gone

Why are you trying to tell me what my opinion is? What have i said that makes you think im not agreeing with you? I stated they are both gone, what else is there to say.
They aren't both gone in two years. Broberg is gone in a few days. Holloway is the guy that they'll lose again when this deal is up. Oilers can't match on Broberg. Can't afford it. The cap will prevent them from matching.

The idea they trade away a pretty important player in Ceci + a key draft pick to dump him just to resign Broberg is not a forward move either. Ceci's has value at his AAV in the last year of his deal. He was important to the Oilers in the playoffs. He's not someone you can simply replace in UFA in August.

• Haha
Reactions: LuGBuG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad