Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
They may keep Holloway at that AAV, but he'll have done some damage to himself within the organization for signing a deal at the very highest end of a meager 3rd round pick return.

That could bother both his teammates and I'm certain it irks the owner and GM. Right or wrong, it will be perceived as a hostile move by the player.

And Broberg might as well fly to St Louis today. Oilers can't and shouldn't match that.

But a 2nd round pick around 50th overall isn't much of a return for him given how he was likely to be deployed in a 4th-5th D role this season.
Players know its a business. Hockey players get career ending injuries.

Look at Klefbom career is over. Thankfully he got his big contract before it happened.

real fkn greasy by Armstrong

Theres no chance we can keep Broberg, that is just way waaay too much money

I dont blame him for signing that deal, thats life changing money for him
Well pronged plan play by Armstrong for sure.

Letting ceci or Kulak go with let's say a 2nd or 1st and then Broberg kept for 4.5 is tough pill.

No it wont. Players know its business and these guys have made peanuts so far. Kesler was not perceived hostile for signing his offer sheet, neither was Weber or Sakic. You are making things up.

Yep. Go get your bag. Tampa players ain't mad at Stamkos
Its about the TEAM, especially when the team was 1 win away from the Stanley Cup. I don't care if they think they should be paid more, this was a potential once in a lifetime opportunity for them to be paid less for a year to win a championship, guys like Skinner/Arvidsson/Henrique who have paid dues a hell of a lot longer have bought into the TEAM. These two rookies have not, and id rather they get let go at this point.

If Halloway signs a 1 year x 1 million dollar deal. Then gets a career injury he's gone.

4.5 ish million makes him be able to have a life afterwards. Its not his fault Edmonton has no cap space.

If the team was counting on bringing the band back together, maybe they shouldn't have signed Jeff Skinner and Victor Arvidsson to a combined $7M?
Agreed.

Tampa just let Stamkos walk after 16 seasons despite a PPG+ season.

If it's a business for the teams, it's a business for the players too. And that's fine.
Tampa offerred Stamkos 3 or 4 mill for 8 years.
Slap on the face teams ain't showing loyalty.

Bond

May 10, 2012
For one year to win a cup I absolutely would, especially when the difference is 2m instead on 1 for a year or 4m instead of 2. At some point you have to realize this is bigger than money, and if money is all they want they can get lost.
Then either you are lying to yourself or you are dumb lol. They aren't vets chasing a cup and their career could end at anytime with a bad injury.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
If this tactic becomes more of a norm it means that the Cup contenders will be weakened because almost every one is up against the cap and thus vulnerable. It would probably result in even more parity in the league. I am not sure how to take this. So many levels to this deal.

Teams with a lot of young talent could also be affected. All of a sudden big money might be available and stretch those team's cap flexibility to where they can't keep their guys.

One thing I am not buying is the overpay for Broberg. It is only two years, years where they have cap space. I don't see it as much of a risk. IF they sign him to an immediate extension where they don't know what they have yet, THEN it could be a mistake (ala Carolina with KK). Not seeing much downside to the Broberg offer for the Blues. They have the money.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Jackson had a strong first week in the off season. Now it’s turned into a pile of dung.

I wonder if Bowman being GM made it easier for a rival to roll the dice on the mostly frowned on offer sheets. It certainly didn’t help it other GMs don’t respect him like most our fanbase doesn’t.

Broberg is leaving for sure. A bigger loss than most will realize. Don’t blame him though. The team screwed him over and will pay the price now.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Risky play by the Blues. Good value on picks paid but bad value on contracts.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW
tightspot.jpg

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What the Oilers did was sign both Skinner and Arvidsson. Sure, it looks great on paper, but the Oilers forward group was already top notch and now they have moved out 2 young players who may have been able to extend their window.

Oilers got better for the regular season, but I can't help but think they got worse for the playoffs.

McLeod, Foegele, Holloway were players for them in the playoffs. Did a heck of a good job with the bottom six role of forechecking, being big and fast. Disrupting passing lanes, screwing up breakouts for the other team, winning puck battles with size and tenacity. The Oilers bottom six was pretty darn impressive for their playoff run. Great on the PK. great on the forecheck, great on the energy.

Skinner just won't do that in the playoffs. Henrique is going to be 35 next playoffs. I don't see Arvidsson being that guy either. Kane... for how much I hate him..,, When he's on... he's a heck of a hard guy to play against too and he may not be available to this club either.

Last edited:
Reactions: JKG33

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If this tactic becomes more of a norm it means that the Cup contenders will be weakened because almost every one is up against the cap and thus vulnerable. It would probably result in even more parity in the league. I am not sure how to take this. So many levels to this deal.

Teams with a lot of young talent could also be affected. All of a sudden big money might be available and stretch those team's cap flexibility to where they can't keep their guys.

One thing I am not buying is the overpay for Broberg. It is only two years, years where they have cap space. I don't see it as much of a risk. IF they sign him to an immediate extension where they don't know what they have yet, THEN it could be a mistake (ala Carolina with KK). Not seeing much downside to the Broberg offer for the Blues. They have the money.
I think though that most teams with cap issues make moves well before mid August to clear space. How many teams head into this part of the summer in cap hell and still needing to sign two RFA’s. It’s a pretty unique situation especially with the double offer sheet.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Then either you are lying to yourself or you are dumb lol. They aren't vets chasing a cup and their career could end at anytime with a bad injury.
You would have to be dumb to sign somewhere that has less talent to play with, Holloway as a winger that had the opportunity to someday play on the same line as McDavid or Draisaitl just chose to play with Kyrou? Enjoy less point production in St Louis and a lesser contract Dylan Holloway. Broberg does make more sense, but Holloway is making 2m more in the next two years to give up his shot of playing with those two.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I think that's basically the only way an offer sheet might not be matched. You have to put the other team in a spot where you assume they have to let the player(s) walk. Otherwise you're kind of just wasting time just to be a dick (which is something I approve of, personally).

Right on. If your offer sheet doesn't put the screws to the other team, then all you did was help them by negotiating a nice contract for them. It only works if they hate it.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Risky play by the Blues. Good value on picks paid but bad value on contracts.
what do they care. They are a non playoff team with cap space. One of those picks they are losing is a pick they got for free to take on the M Joseph deal from Ottawa. That's what they paid for Broberg basically.

And those are two year deals. It's not like they sank their boat with a Nurse like 8 year deal at an outrageously above market AAV.

Low risk moves for the Blues.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
There only needs to be one team willing to pay him that amount.
to get the player sure.

I mean I get it, the blues don't need to worry about competing for a little while, but like the canes, this sets bad precedent for the player and he will be taking a huge payout on his next deal, which isn't exactly setting the market.

irrational actors don't set market price.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You would have to be dumb to sign somewhere that has less talent to play with, Holloway as a winger that had the opportunity to someday play on the same line as McDavid or Draisaitl just chose to play with Kyrou? Enjoy less point production in St Louis and a lesser contract Dylan Holloway. Broberg does make more sense, but Holloway is making 2m more in the next two years to give up his shot of playing with those two.
Maybe you know something none of us know... But Drai hasn't resigned yet and McDavid is also a ?

Holloway may just be leaving town a year before those guys do. Does he want to play 2025-2026 season centered by Henrique on line one of an Oilers team that finishes in 14th place in the western conference?

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
what do they care. They are a non playoff team with cap space. One of those picks they are losing is a pick they got for free to take on the M Joseph deal from Ottawa. That's what they paid for Broberg basically.

And those are two year deals. It's not like they sank their boat with a Nurse like 8 year deal at an outrageously above market AAV.

Low risk moves for the Blues.
Well I assume that’s the reason they justified it, but that doesn’t necessarily negate the fact they’re bad contracts and a risky play especially on a very unproven Broberg. It’s a gamble.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Its also a complete misunderstanding of offer sheets.

Neither player necessarily wants to leave Edmonton, it could just as easily be about how Edmonton was negotiating contracts. Now they have contracts - either with Edmonton and St. Louis. But they can at least focus on training camp and the season instead of worrying about contracts.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

Ehh I'm not so sure this'll hurt other teams as much as you'd think. Florida took care of their buisness early getting Lundell, Reinhart and Frosling signed. A team that properly manages their cap can easily avoid these situations with early signings/trades

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010

Players who want to stick with their teams would not sign the offer sheet, and the public would never know about it.

It only seems like a big deal because of how rare players accept the offer sheets.

However, the compensation being this low compared to the cap hit, as compared to years ago, may actually increase the willingness of GMs to make these offers. $4.5m for a 2nd, when you look at it as acquiring a RFA who you are willing to pay the cap for, the 2nd rounder really isn't much.

The NHLPA is probably slightly loving this because this, any way you slice it, a team with cap space willing to spend it, would only help generate hockey revenue.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Holloway still has a pretty good chance of still playing with McDavid in Edmonton or he thinks he will get a lot more minutes in St Louis and it balances out.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Oilers got better for the regulars season, but I can't help but think they got worse for the playoffs.

McLeod, Foegele, Holloway were players for them in the playoffs. Did a heck of a good job with the bottom six role of forechecking, being big and fast. Disrupting passing lanes, screwing up breakouts for the other team, winning puck battles with size and tenacity. The Oilers bottom six was pretty darn impressive for their playoff run. Great on the PK. great on the forecheck, great on the energy.

Skinner just won't do in the playoffs. Henrique is going to be 35 next playoffs. I don't see Arvidsson being that guy either. Kane... for how much I hate him.. .When he's on... he's a heck of a hard guy to play against too and he may not be available to this club either.
You're bang on here. McLeod for Savoie while a win on pure value, doesn't make the team harder to play against come playoff time. Ditto for Skinner replacing Holloway if that is indeed what happens. Arvidsson if healthy is more useful than Foegel but he's not always healthy.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Here's where we likely are with it. We know and accept that our fate is to suck for a few years before hopefully a strong 2023 draft class leads them back into contention. Everything seems on track for this plan except we don't know if we have the right D in our system. Jiricek and Lindstein and Kessel need to overachieve and/or we need to get lucky. Sound familiar?

So ordinarily what would worry me here is Armstrong has a tendency to throw good money after bad once he makes a bold move (for example obviously obviously obviously you expose Krug to Seattle instead of Dunn but he was committed), and so he wouldn't want to let Broberg go in a couple years if it doesn't work out, which it might or might not. However since Steen is taking over as GM at the same time this contract would be up if the Oilers don't match, I don't think we are worried he will feel locked into any Armstrong mistake. As for the player himself he has been put into plenty of offers toward us over the years and we have not been excited. However, we are open to new info when it arrives and he did play solidly in the Final, which suggests he may have now another level to his confidence, and in a young player that might make all the difference in his trajectory. On Broberg we are probably hoping they don't match so we can experiment. We are definitely most excited to not spend any time this season having to watch a slow little waterskiing squirt who can't hit the net from 20 feet on a slapshot play any hockey for us. That is first and foremost. This signing means we are not getting that even if the Oilers do match.

As for Holloway, it feels like the Oilers might match that one, but we are sooooo much more worried about or defense than our offense, we have a lot of strong offense about to emerge from the pipeline next 1-2 years
Like Bourgault, Carter Savoie, Matvey Petrov and Tyler Tullio? McLeod?

They've got a weak pipeline to say the least. Savoie from Buffalo is about it and he's 20 and tiny. Could be a good second liner in a few years when Drai and McDavid are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad