Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
This is not good at all..

I went to bed with dreams of hollo in lineup for cheap... Bro in lineup for cheap and Kane ltir finally getting us a rhd upgrade!

Bro would be nuts not to take that but this is a kontkiniemi type offer. They are offering 150 percent of his value today.

Hollo is reasonable.

I had two issues with Jackson's move... We got older and he didn't address D. Now McLeod is gone. Hollo may be gone and bro may be gone. We will have an average age of 30 going into season with old man bouch being one of our youngest players lol.

I hate this

Eh it happens. Honestly Jackson needed to sign these guys before UFA season. He did great with contracts and I don't think Oilers will feel the burn this year but with the limited space left it seems the players did not want to limit earnings like BOUCHARD DID.

If this tactic becomes more of a norm it means that the Cup contenders will be weakened because almost every one is up against the cap and thus vulnerable. It would probably result in even more parity in the league. I am not sure how to take this. So many levels to this deal.

Teams with a lot of young talent could also be affected. All of a sudden big money might be available and stretch those team's cap flexibility to where they can't keep their guys.

One thing I am not buying is the overpay for Broberg. It is only two years, years where they have cap space. I don't see it as much of a risk. IF they sign him to an immediate extension where they don't know what they have yet, THEN it could be a mistake (ala Carolina with KK). Not seeing much downside to the Broberg offer for the Blues. They have the money.

Teams need to have there picks.
Players need to sign them.
Team needs the cap space and have to he careful they do not ruin there RFA cap structure.

A lot of us fans have mentioned they should be used more to get talent. It is a tough thing to pull off. Edmonton and Blues were in the position for it to happen. Gotta love that Armstrong got his picks to make a play. That's a real schrude GM play.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Selfish move from Broberg hes not worth that. Youd think hed want to play with the best player in the world and contend for a cup. Holloway is well worth that price.

Coming after rumours of Drai and Mcdavid leaning towards team friendly deals...

You can’t hold it against a player who was in the AHL this year for signing for a guaranteed 9m. Well I guess you can, but you’re being ridiculous for doing so.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Holloway still has a pretty good chance of still playing with McDavid in Edmonton or he thinks he will get a lot more minutes in St Louis and it balances out.
He better be right, or he could be looking at this decision as being a bad one.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It puts pressure on the Drai negotiations as well. I don't really believe the discount narrative the Oilers media is spinning. If they match both then I think Drai is gone

If Drai goes it won't be because they matched these offer sheets.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You're bang on here. McLeod for Savoie while a win on pure value, doesn't make the team harder to play against come playoff time. Ditto for Skinner replacing Holloway if that is indeed what happens. Arvidsson if healthy is more useful than Foegel but he's not always healthy.
Foegele was a nasty playoff player. Dude was relentless on the forecheck. And say what you will, but that man is big and boy can he skate. Given the number on his jersey, I'd confuse him with McDavid at times when they were both just skating and 100 MHP (not with puck). With puck it's obvious, but as pure skaters, Foegele is fantastic at his size. And it showed in the playoff games.

McLeod was super impressive vs the Avs in the western conference finals a few years ago. Good young C with size and great speed. A high end 3C IMO. Versatile. That wasn't an insignificant player the Oil lost to Buffalo. McLeod flashes pretty often and does a lot of dirty work.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
You would have to be dumb to sign somewhere that has less talent to play with, Holloway as a winger that had the opportunity to someday play on the same line as McDavid or Draisaitl just chose to play with Kyrou? Enjoy less point production in St Louis and a lesser contract Dylan Holloway. Broberg does make more sense, but Holloway is making 2m more in the next two years to give up his shot of playing with those two.
A lot can change in a couple years. There's no guarantee Holloway plays anywhere in the top 6, he could easily be stuck on the 3rd line which is a worse spot to be than the Blues top 6. But what is now guaranteed is the money he'll be getting

Reactions: KingsFan7824

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Is the compensation based on the AAV or on the total amount of the contract?
It is total compensation divided by the lessor of 5 and the number of contract years. So for anything up to a 5 yr contract it is AAV. over 5 years it depends.

Say I offer sheet seider for 5 years at 8.5M the compensation is based on 8.5M AAV and is a 1st 2nd and a 3rd,

If I offer sheet 7 years at 8.5M it is based on 7 years X 8.5M/5 or 11.9M and compensation of 4 1sts.

Its hard to do a max term to a star player without giving up 4 1sts

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Blues doing the one thing I wish more teams did, by announcing their offer sheets.

I'm still convinced there's a ton of offer sheets we never hear about, every summer, because they fall through.

You are hearing about these because the players signed the offers.

Reactions: McJedi

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Well the Blues just drove up the price of young unproven, sheltered third pairing dmen. Broberg is the winner of all this, he’s got great physical tools and looked good in a small sample size in the cup finals (where his PDO was also through the roof) but he’s miles away from utilising those tools and becoming a top 4 dman.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
A lot can change in a couple years. There's no guarantee Holloway plays anywhere in the top 6, he could easily be stuck on the 3rd line which is a worse spot to be than the Blues top 6. But what is now guaranteed is the money he'll be getting
I wish him luck on the Blues then, I'm sorry he either didn't want to be here or didn't think he would get an opportunity in the future. Most young first rounders eventually get a shot in the top six, maybe he thought we wasn't going to get it here and if that's the case I would understand a lot more why he left, but the manner in which they are leaving was done in the most damaging way possible and they had to be aware of that, so good riddance.

• Haha
Reactions: Bejeezus

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Well I assume that’s the reason they justified it, but that doesn’t necessarily negate the fact they’re bad contracts and a risky play especially on a very unproven Broberg. It’s a gamble.
It's not some make or break year for the Blues like it is for the Oilers. They haven't made the playoffs in two years. What is this big risk to their excess cap space this season?

This is much bigger problem for Edmonton than the Blues. The Blues just potentially added two young players ready to contribute in bigger roles. The oilers needed these two guys to take low AAV deals in their final year of the Drai way under market contract. Ditto Brouchard. Brouchard will jump to $9MM next year. Drai to $14MM. Go try to fit those into the Oilers cap for 2025.

Yeah... you can't... unless you start to subtract players like RNH + Ekholm + Kane. All simply to pay current players their market value. Oh yeah. Jack Campbells dead money cap hit jumps up to $2.3MM and $2.6MM following this season.

This next season is the last one the Oilers will be true true contenders before having to gut their depth. And with Drai being a pending UFA, they can't let him walk into UFA next summer. That's way too risky. Things are very tenuous with Edmonton. Blues just made that worse and harder.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Well the Blues just drove up the price of young unproven, sheltered third pairing dmen. Broberg is the winner of all this, he’s got great physical tools and looked good in a small sample size in the cup finals (where his PDO was also through the roof) but he’s miles away from utilising those tools and becoming a top 4 dman.
All the Blues did is take an Oilers team in a big salary cap bind and put the screws to them given the Oilers cap situation.

I won't apply these offer sheets widely to the league. This was a very targeted attack on a certain team for valid reasons.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Selfish move from Broberg hes not worth that. Youd think hed want to play with the best player in the world and contend for a cup. Holloway is well worth that price.

Coming after rumours of Drai and Mcdavid leaning towards team friendly deals...

You are 100% right it is selfish, and that makes it the right thing to do.

In a sport where players skate at high speeds with death knives on their feet if somebody offers you the bag, you take the bag.

Or you be John Klingberg

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I wish him luck on the Blues then, I'm sorry he either didn't want to be here or didn't think he would get an opportunity in the future. Most young first rounders eventually get a shot in the top six, maybe he thought we wasn't going to get it here and if that's the case I would understand a lot more why he left, but the manner in which they are leaving was done in the most damaging way possible and they had to be aware of that, so good riddance.
The Broberg one I kinda get, that's a tough pill to swallow. St Louis is banking on him taking the next step which it looks like he can.

But seriously, you're mad at Holloway for taking $2.85 AAV? Be mad at your own team for mismanaging the cap so badly with Nurse, Campbell, Kane, and Brown that they can't afford a fair contract for a young promising middle 6 forward.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
GM's sticking it to Bowman already. Nice to see.
I think it's a shrewd move to target a team that's stretched on the cap. If you think GMs or teams are 1)really that upset about Bowman or 2)would operate their multimillion dollar business based on grievances then I disagree.

Sucks for the Oilers! But I don't think it's some sort of a gotcha type punishment for hiring Bowman. I would expect the seeds of this whole thing were planted some time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad