Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah, I'm trading ceci and ltir Kane or I'm trading nurse to cover these players.

Opposing GM's:
giphy.gif

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Well the Blues just drove up the price of young unproven, sheltered third pairing dmen. Broberg is the winner of all this, he’s got great physical tools and looked good in a small sample size in the cup finals (where his PDO was also through the roof) but he’s miles away from utilising those tools and becoming a top 4 dman.

Yeah, it'd be like trading Broberg for a 2nd round pick which I do think EDM wins on. Broberg has not shown nearly enough to warrant this type of a contract, it should be a no-brainer from what I've seen of him to not match his.

Holloway should be matched for sure though

• Haha
Reactions: Trow

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
The Broberg one I kinda get, that's a tough pill to swallow. St Louis is banking on him taking the next step which it looks like he can.

But seriously, you're mad at Holloway for taking $2.85 AAV? Be mad at your own team for mismanaging the cap so badly with Nurse, Campbell, Kane, and Brown that they can't afford a fair contract for a young promising middle 6 forward.
He is signing at a time and way that hurts the team, nobody in the organization is going to say "good job". Those two are as good as gone, they didn't want to be here which is fine but I am done hoping for anything other than the compensation out of them.

• Haha
Reactions: Bejeezus

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He is signing at a time and way that hurts the team, nobody in the organization is going to say "good job". Those two are as good as gone, they didn't want to be here which is fine but I am done hoping for anything other than the compensation out of them.
The team had all offseason to sign him. It's not his fault they blew all their cap space on useless players.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
A lot can change in a couple years. There's no guarantee Holloway plays anywhere in the top 6, he could easily be stuck on the 3rd line which is a worse spot to be than the Blues top 6. But what is now guaranteed is the money he'll be getting

Holloway wouldn’t be anywhere near top 6 on the Blues

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Broberg is a tough one at his age. For a couple of years now, he’s shown all the things you want to see from a Top 4 dman and he grades very well. Except for one, and it’s a big one. His biggest problem has been, he needed more confidence in himself.

Unfortunately that can be a brutal thing for a Dman in the NHL. He suffers from the age old, “too scared to make a mistake, and plays like it” syndrome, and we’re all taught as Dmen, if you’re scared to make a mistake, you’ve probably already made one, and you’ll certainly make one again.

Sometimes that confidence comes with experience and maturity, and sometimes it finally comes, when a player figures he has nothing more to lose. That’s why we see these random 26-27 year olds finally make it.

Then sometimes a player just never gets over that mental part of things.

We’ll have to see what comes of Broberg long-term now, but he sure played with that confidence in these recent playoffs. You just hope that wasn’t the adrenaline of the moment.

That would be my concern. He gets to St Louis and thinks he has to impress everyone so much, he goes back into that shell of being too scared to make a mistake.

Whatever the case, the Blues must really think Broberg has turned that corner, and I’m trusting Armstrong’s evaluation on this one. Its a little risky, but it’s only 2 years and a 2nd and 3rd Round pick..

It’s well worth the gamble for 6-8 years of a Top 4 Dman.

What would suck for the Oilers is… if he has taken that step and they don’t match. That 2nd won’t matter much if he’s having a great career in St Louis.

With Nurse already on the books (with a disaster of a contract) and Bouchard being as bad as he was early in the season, to being great the 2nd half and in the playoffs, they already have two Dmen, who aren’t exactly the stable types, who will be on the books for over $13 million. Add another $4.5 million on someone who was literally scratched before a small streak of great games… it’s scary matching the offer-sheet for Broberg. Come trade deadline if Bouchard, Broberg and Nurse aren’t playing well, that’s gonna be $17 million wrapped up in inconsistent play.

Best case, they have someone who’s willing to take Nurse right now, and he’s willing to go wherever that is. It would make their lives so much easier. So don’t be surprised if they’re not looking into that today. Trying to broker Nurse out of town. I guess they can pay the piper to get rid of Ceci or Kulak too. Whatever the case, it’s gonna cost them to keep Broberg now.

All that said, they have to make a professional and not an emotional decision.. They better be certain Broberg took that step and wasn’t playing on adrenaline, or they have to let him walk.

As for Holloway, he’s a forward. Much easier to replace in a quicker time frame.. Think if they match Broberg, without having a deal to send Nurse packing, they will NOT match Holloway.

One thing’s for certain. The Blues won’t be the most popular visitors in Edmonton anytime soon I’ve never heard of anything between Jeff Jackson and Armstrong but what a shot across the bow for Bowman and Jackson from the least expected place.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If anyone thinks a better chance at a non-guaranteed Cup is worth more than guaranteed money, you're thinking way too much with your fan heart. Whatever extra money they get from St.Louis will make their wives and kids much happier when these guys are 57 and long forgotten by every fan base, than telling them they had the chance to play with McDavid, or even won the Cup in Edmonton.

Play cheap today, maybe click with McDavid, maybe even win, and then we or someone else will happily give you more money down the line. That's a lot of if's in there when someone else is already offering me much more than I should realistically be making based on my previous on-ice production.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
They are both gone, do you want me to give exact dates or something? My opinion is that the clock has started ticking on when they are gone not if, do you agree with that?

You can’t hold it against a player who was in the AHL this year for signing for a guaranteed 9m. Well I guess you can, but you’re being ridiculous for doing so.
Anyone who understands how money works and/or hasn't always had a surplus of it, knows that it was a no-brainer for Broberg. I don't understand anyone who doesn't think that Broberg taking the 9.2 over 2 years is even something he should have been considering when we can assume the Oilers offered him yet another 1 year, 1.5-ishM deal. 9.2M is enough to purchase a home outright, and invest conservatively to make life pretty comfortable in the future, regardless of what else happens in his career. Not "retire in 2 years" comfortable of course, but comfortable enough that he wouldn't be nearly as reliant on finding a 2nd career that pays well after his hockey career is over. It wouldn't make sense to leave 7M on the table.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
This is the biggest hockey news in the last month and a half, where else should I be?

But hell it's hard to avoid when half the threads on these forums are about the Oilers

...even when they’re not originally about the Oilers.

Reactions: JKG33

Ledge And Dairy

Blues doing the one thing I wish more teams did, by announcing their offer sheets.

I'm still convinced there's a ton of offer sheets we never hear about, every summer, because they fall through.
No that's not accurate. An offer sheet has to be signed by the player for it to be formally submitted to the league. Maybe teams do extend offer sheets every summer to players but if the player doesn't sign it then it means nothing. Both Broberg and Holloway signed the OS's this time so an announcement was made.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I wonder if the Blues even really want Holloway, or if it is part of gamesmanship to get Broberg? If they didn't make the OS to Holloway, and we could get him for around 1.2 - 1.5 like we were expecting, it would be easier to match the OS on Broberg, but having that extra 1M going to Holloway, if we match, makes it harder to match the Broberg OS. I wonder if Armstrong isn't trying to outsmart Bowman here, and is using Holloway as pawn to increase the odds of the Broberg deal not being matched.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
There’s no correct way, but likeable, sure.

1) Don’t have a franchise solely based on the power of repeated tanking.
they weren't trying to "tank", they signed FA's every summer in order to try and get better...problem was, they were bad players (Eager, Barker, Belanger) or past their prime (Smyth, Ference, Nikitin)...management sucked
Justin Schultz was supposed to the saviour on defense, that's how bad it was

if you think Oilers fans wanted four #1's, you're sadly mistaken...we wanted a good team

2) Hire smart hockey people that make your franchise better. Holland for example, did a lot of dumb things, but he made some moves I would give him credit for and he inherited a hot mess.

agreed

3) Assess the character of the people you’re hiring, regardless of their efficacy.
these are perceived "character" issues, and people grow up and deserve 2nd chances

4) Maybe show your franchise is smart enough to draft beyond the first round, even if they’re not cornerstone players (this might be just me rephrasing #1).
lately they've been a lot better (see: 2015 draft) Skinner, Vinny Desharnais and Ryan McLeod (both now gone) are all 2nd rounders and deeper...not sure how that makes them unlikable

I’m sure most people are here talking hockey because we believe it’s not all just dumb luck. The Oilers are totally proving that wrong, and hiring as many villains as they can in a desperate attempt to keep McDrai happy. It’s not so likeable.
meh, I think it's more about bitterness and jealousy about lottery balls from 9 years ago....Buffalo and Columbus have been incompetent for much longer and they don't get the hate
heck, NJ has two #1 overalls on their team, and four top 4 drafted players that they were "rewarded" with for being bad yet no one cares about them (drafted in the top 10 seven times since 2015)

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
This is the biggest hockey news in the last month and a half, where else should I be?

But hell it's hard to avoid when half the threads on these forums are about the Oilers
I know you hate the Oil I saw you in the playoff thread, saying things like the Oilers have useless players is just petty bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad