Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Ya a 3rd round pick is nothing. This is the best weaponization of cap space ive seen in a while. Especially since Drai isnt even signed so lots of things for Bowman to think about.

I think kane is for sure not coming back.

That's the best part of this. If Draisaitl had another year to go before a renewal, Edmonton could probably swallow the cap space with some minor deck chair moving. The fact Draisaitl is likely demanding 13M+ in a year makes this awful for them.

Kudos to Armstrong. What a perfect time to dump an offer sheet on them.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
They can't be retained on cheap contracts so Id let them both walk and take the picks. Both players are replaceable at lower cost and they can use the picks to get reinforcements at the deadline.

Sucks for edm because they've invested in both players but that's how it goes sometimes.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Are blues fans that excited about these players? Besides the fact that it hurts the oilers.

This hurts Edmonton more than it helps St Louis.

Excited about potential, not about who they are today. As I pointed out, they fit the identity we are moving toward. They are young and fit our timeline. Broberg potentially fills a need. He looked really good stabilizing Nurse in defensive situations in the playoffs. The hope is he can do the same for Faulk our 2nd pair. Our top pair takes ridiculous tough minutes as we shelter EVERYONE else If Broberg-Faulk can take some of that pressure, it will be a big help.

They are a gamble. They may never get better than they are. But so are a 2nd and 3rd round pick. Even if they never hit, it is really low asset cost and not my money.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It’s going to be interesting especially with Broberg. The contract is higher than Edmonton would like but the compensation is underwhelming at just a 2nd round pick. Interesting decision.

The one positive for EDM is the deal is only 2 years so they can work around that and make moves if they’re inclined to keep Broberg.

QUESTION? Can you trade a guy right away after matching an offer sheet? For example if Edmonton matches but decides to make him available for more than just a 2nd rounder could they do that or do they need to wait a calendar year? I remember there used to be a weird rule with trading guys you claimed via waivers.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Are you saying Nurse, Campbell, Brown, Ceci, Kane (the players I was referring to as useless) have lived up to their contracts? Do you seriously think someone like Jeff Skinner is worth losing two of your top young players?
Im saying my team with its useless players beat your teams players the last 3 years in a row.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
You are hearing about these because the players signed the offers.

Yeah I get that, but it'd still be cool if we heard of all the offers that were tabled that WEREN'T signed.
No that's not accurate. An offer sheet has to be signed by the player for it to be formally submitted to the league. Maybe teams do extend offer sheets every summer to players but if the player doesn't sign it then it means nothing. Both Broberg and Holloway signed the OS's this time so an announcement was made.

I've always assumed it happens rampantly, but as mentioned earlier the player just doesn't go for it so we never hear about it.

Also curious as to how this would affect the Oilers locker room if they do indeed match, and Broberg and Holloway show up at camp as "the two guys who wanted to play elsewhere" :laugh:

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Im saying my team with its useless players beat your teams players the last 3 years in a row.
Weird flex to brag about beating the same shitty team 3 years in a row, that your team is lucky enough to get because of a broken playoff format. I'm not sure how deflecting to how bad the Kings have been is relevant, but you do you bro.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Doctors have to cross T's and dot I's for LTIR. Kane says he will be ready for training camp, dont know if the LTIR route is possible. Sounds like CBA legalize needs to be clarified.

Yes.
Yeah. That’s part of why I think this avenue is going to be a little trickier than the prior instances we have seen. Time will tell though

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Weird flex to brag about beating the same shitty team 3 years in a row, that your team is lucky enough to get because of a broken playoff format. I'm not sure how deflecting to how bad the Kings have been is relevant, but you do you bro.
Im saying ur team is bad bro, ur chirps are even worse though ive seen about 1000 of them.

Guelkey

Mar 7, 2008
Yeah I get that, but it'd still be cool if we heard of all the offers that were tabled that WEREN'T signed.

I've always assumed it happens rampantly, but as mentioned earlier the player just doesn't go for it so we never hear about it.

Also curious as to how this would affect the Oilers locker room if they do indeed match, and Broberg and Holloway show up at camp as "the two guys who wanted to play elsewhere" :laugh:
Players understand. It's fans that make it more of an issue.

In brobergs case 9M is a lot to turn down if your current team is only offering like 1.5m

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
It's not like the Blues 2nd line is strong or untouchable.

I hear ya, but he’s not going to replace these guys. He’s more of a 3rd liner imo.

Bolduc - Thomas - Neighbours
Saad - Buchnevich - Kyrou

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
As much as I'd love to see the Oilers get punished, I hope that scenario doesn't happen. The "woe is me the NHL hates us" Canadian fans are whiny enough as it is without any legitimate reason. I'd rather the league not give them one
Really it’s not a Canadian fan thing though, it’s a team trying to abuse a tactic that the NHL said they will be closer attention to. Kane has very publicly been having a typical summer, we haven’t seen that with other LTIR candidates

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I heard on I think it was Friedman's podcast during the playoffs that the players hate how fans and the media rag on Nurse and his bloated contract, they just see him as a teammate and friend. So if that garbage contract doesn't make them hate the guy, I doubt they'll think twice about these offer sheets. At the very least they're much closer to market value than their boy Nurse

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Why can't these pro athletes love my team like me, a fan who grew up here and spent 30 years supporting the team does!! .......And dont ask about whether I'd leave millions on the table I've never been in a position to even consider the impact that amount of money would have on my family.
Yeah, shame on us fans for caring about two depth players causing the greater good of the team harm, why would we ever be upset.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
If I'm an Oiler, I look at these two guys- especially Holloway, who is from Alberta and making just a mil more than what most expected- with a bit of disgust. You get within a goal of THE goal and decide to jump ship for a bubble team at best after seeing much better players take discounts? I wouldn't exactly be welcoming them back into the room with open arms even if they were matched.

No disrespect to Armstrong for this, he can't do it if the players aren't willing to sign the offer sheets. But I do hope Jackson/Bowman choose the picks to reinforce this is a culture that wants to win over all else, and then uses the cap room to sign one of Vrana, JVR, Hoffman, Pacioretty or even Yamamoto to a one year $1M deal and then sign one of Barrie or Schultz to the same:

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Vrana/JVR/Hoffman/etc.-Henrique-Savoie
Janmark-Ryan-Brown
Perry

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Barrie/Schultz
Brown

When Kane conveniently returns come playoff time the Oilers can then roll out an even deeper forward group. The right side of the D is still a problem, but that's what the deadline (and those picks) is for. Just really short-sighted thinking from those two though, especially Holloway.

• Haha
Reactions: Dan403

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Really it’s not a Canadian fan thing though, it’s a team trying to abuse a tactic that the NHL said they will be closer attention to. Kane has very publicly been having a typical summer, we haven’t seen that with other LTIR candidates
I agree with you, but a Canadian team being the only one punished for LTIR abuse would not go over well at all

Reactions: NeverForget06

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah, shame on us fans for caring about two depth players causing the greater good of the team harm, why would we ever be upset.
We can be upset while appreciating that we're talking about a life changing amount of money and that not everyone has the same priorities while playing in the NHL...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It’s going to be interesting especially with Broberg. The contract is higher than Edmonton would like but the compensation is underwhelming at just a 2nd round pick. Interesting decision.

The one positive for EDM is the deal is only 2 years so they can work around that and make moves if they’re inclined to keep Broberg.

QUESTION? Can you trade a guy right away after matching an offer sheet? For example if Edmonton matches but decides to make him available for more than just a 2nd rounder could they do that or do they need to wait a calendar year? I remember there used to be a weird rule with trading guys you claimed via waivers.
Can't trade for 1 year. And they have Draisaitl and Bouchard extensions next summer to consider, so it's not just about making this season work.

Ledge And Dairy

Ask Carolina. Just like with Aho, the argument can easily be made that both players felt they were being underappreciated or pushed around in negotiations so they signed the offer sheet to defend themselves but still wanted to stay in Edmonton.

Reactions: Dr Pepper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad