Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
We can be upset while appreciating that we're talking about a life changing amount of money and that not everyone has the same priorities while playing in the NHL...
Great, they don't want to be here then we shouldn't want them here simple as that.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
they weren't trying to "tank", they signed FA's every summer in order to try and get better...problem was, they were bad players (Eager, Barker, Belanger) or past their prime (Smyth, Ference, Nikitin)...management sucked
Justin Schultz was supposed to the saviour on defense, that's how bad it was

if you think Oilers fans wanted four #1's, you're sadly mistaken...we wanted a good team

agreed

these are perceived "character" issues, and people grow up and deserve 2nd chances

lately they've been a lot better (see: 2015 draft) Skinner, Vinny Desharnais and Ryan McLeod (both now gone) are all 2nd rounders and deeper...not sure how that makes them unlikable

meh, I think it's more about bitterness and jealousy about lottery balls from 9 years ago....Buffalo and Columbus have been incompetent for much longer and they don't get the hate
heck, NJ has two #1 overalls on their team, and four top 4 drafted players that they were "rewarded" with for being bad yet no one cares about them (drafted in the top 10 seven times since 2015)
Look I don’t blame diehard fans for continuing to be diehard fans. I wouldn’t expect any less. The decade of darkness would’ve sucked for any fan. I also think the (IMO) unnecessary hiring of Bowman is something that’s unfair for any fan to have to defend when all they want to do is enjoy their favourite hockey team.

And of course there’s a certain amount of jealousy, especially when the team I’m talking about repeatedly gets lucky like the Oilers have.

Having said this, I do think if you could put yourself in the shoes of haters, it’s not too hard to see why the franchise is unlikeable.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
It’s going to be interesting especially with Broberg. The contract is higher than Edmonton would like but the compensation is underwhelming at just a 2nd round pick. Interesting decision.

The one positive for EDM is the deal is only 2 years so they can work around that and make moves if they’re inclined to keep Broberg.

QUESTION? Can you trade a guy right away after matching an offer sheet? For example if Edmonton matches but decides to make him available for more than just a 2nd rounder could they do that or do they need to wait a calendar year? I remember there used to be a weird rule with trading guys you claimed via waivers.

The CBA also notes that if the Oilers match an offer sheet, they cannot trade that player for one year from the date they exercise their right of first refusal. So, if they keep either or both Broberg and Holloway, they'll have to wait until mid-August 2025 if they want to use either player as a trade asset.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
I would walk away from Broberg

A few good playoff games doesn't make him worth $9M+ ($4.5M+ AAV) over next two years
No but hw could be a good partner for aging faulk and even move up to play with parayko. Paraykos.defense firat could be a good for him
Army struck again

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If I'm an Oiler, I look at these two guys- especially Holloway, who is from Alberta and making just a mil more than what most expected- with a bit of disgust. You get within a goal of THE goal and decide to jump ship for a bubble team at best after seeing much better players take discounts? I wouldn't exactly be welcoming them back into the room with open arms even if they were matched.
Nurse, Ceci, Campbell, Brown, Kane... all contracts that Holloway has seen get signed thatre now hurting the Oilers. That's far more impactful than the one or two guys who signed at discounts. If I'm Holloway I'm looking at those overpayments and wanting to secure my bag too, especially when $2.85 is a fair contract.

It's also a helluva lot easier for guys like Skinner and Perry to take discounts when they've each made $50m+ in their careers.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Bolduc, Saad, and Neighbours can easily be replaced.
Um no neighbors fiest full ywar he got 27 goals. He drives to the net and puts the trash in. A lot of players dont do that. Bolduc had his first taste od the nhl and on limited minutes he put up in 25 games he had 5 goals for assists. So those to are basically rookies putting up numbers man.

Saad yes

Reactions: Mike Liut

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Are blues fans that excited about these players? Besides the fact that it hurts the oilers.

This hurts Edmonton more than it helps St Louis.

I would assume so. At least on the potential they both have. If I recall, St. Louis isn't strong on defense, especially with Krug out all season. So betting on a young defenseman like Broberg for a second is an easy win. If he works out, that's an absolute steal. If he doesn't, oh well, it's only a middle range second.

A third for Holloway is nothing. Although, I'd be surprised if Edmonton didn't match that offer sheet.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
You can disagree with my opinion and thats ok, but the team is above any player not named McDavid/Draisaitl looking to maximize their salary during this window.

See above
Yeah no players are hwre to make money. Someone said blues are a bubble team. Maybee but we have an amazing top line thomas buch kyrou. We have a lights out goalie and a bunch of 1st round draft.picks highly touted so to be on the team. Snuggerud, dvorsky, stenberg lindstein. To go along with our other young studs neighbors bolduc torpochenko dean jircerik and kessel.

Blues window will start opening soon.

Reactions: JKG33

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
As an Oiler fan, I'm not upset at either Broberg or Holloway for getting their bag. It's the same type of deal as Kostin last year who wanted to get paid even though he loved being an Oiler. The Broberg contract is probably $2.5-$3M over pay, but if you can convince Kane to get surgery and go LTIR, you match both and deal with the cap impacts next year.

Also look to deal Ceci if at all possible for futures or even a cheaper player who might not be as good, maybe to San Jose for someone like Benning to save $2M.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The more I think about this, the more I love it.

Doug Armstrong for GM of the Decade.

Sorry Oil nation, not your fault, but this is hockey karma crushing hope into the boards.
I still think it's weird how Armstrong has been an almost perfect GM, yet he insisted on slamming their window of contention shut by doing everything in his power to dump Pietrangelo. That'll always be a black mark on an otherwise great tenure

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Really it’s not a Canadian fan thing though, it’s a team trying to abuse a tactic that the NHL said they will be closer attention to. Kane has very publicly been having a typical summer, we haven’t seen that with other LTIR candidates
The CBA pretty clearly lays out that teams have final authority for injury treatment.

Team doctors said he needed surgery, he wanted to get second opinions and seek alternative treatment, management obliged. But come training camp, if Jackson asks the doctor if their opinion is that Kane is at a higher risk of re-injuring without the surgery then that’s likely all they need to LTIR him. The Eichel/Buffalo situation was similar, team and player disagree on treatment but team has final say and player didn’t want to follow teams recommended treatment so he just sat on ltir.

The league can’t dictate when players have surgery, the team has some cover with Kane wanting to get second opinions and look at other possible treatments in lieu of surgery but in the end it was determined surgery was still the best option. It would be really difficult for the league to prove some grand conspiracy theory.

The league likely only gets involved if they pull a Tampa and hide him on ltir until playoffs.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Yeah no players are hwre to make money. Someone said blues are a bubble team. Maybee but we have an amazing top line thomas buch kyrou. We have a lights out goalie and a bunch of 1st round draft.picks highly touted so to be on the team. Snuggerud, dvorsky, stenberg lindstein. To go along with our other young studs neighbors bolduc torpochenko dean jircerik and kessel.

I like how the Blues are looking for sure. I think they steal the Jets playoff spot this year

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024

Good for the Blues, Holloway and Broberg can go play for you guys.

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
I love offersheets but neither guy really moves the needle much for the Blues
No but both showed the tremendous potential that each of them has with strong playoff performances and that potential is what the Blues are banking on! I think they will still try and move one of Ceci or Kulak as well as trying to see if they can move Kane, but his injury problem might put the kabbosh on that ! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: RORbacon

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
I'm intrigued by the potential of adding Holloway to our team, but he isn't "easily" replacing any of those players. Neighours and Saad had more goals last year than Holloway has career points....
I really tgink they walk from broberg since they got ekholm and xould use dylan more since drais mcdavid are top heavy contracts. Honestly i wouldnt mind them.both.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Good for the Blues, Holloway and Broberg can go play for you guys.
We will take em. They would be great additions to the blues.

I like how the Blues are looking for sure. I think they steal the Jets playoff spot this year
Honestly you add broberg you take out krug. Then kessel neighbors bolduc are one year older and dvoraky could make team... they become a very well rounded team

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

gach

Aug 2, 2018
It was cup or bust. This is just part of the bust, but dosen't mean the cup isn't there for the taking.

Reactions: Dan403
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad