News: Steven Stamkos to hit free agency on July 1st

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
You look at how proactive some teams are at moving out cap, to either retain their players or try to make their team better.

The fact that Tampa is uninterested in doing anything like that, has got to be a kick in the teeth to your captain that has given everything he has to your team.
They may not have the assets to move out enough cap. Every other GM would know they have him over a barrel if he's trying to move cap for Stamkos.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Look at Bergeron as a comparable, he took team friendly contracts at the end
I know he can do that. Im saying he shouldnt have to.

Brisebois screwed up with Jeannot and Sheary. He also traded away most picks that would give him the ability to replace players with guys on the ELC to pay the people deserving of it.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Didn't Tampa and Stamkos do the same thing last time? Let him see the market and he came back after fielding offers. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same thing. Seems like a guy who will retire wearing one jersey.

There was already some hard feelings early this season when Stamkos didn't get the extension....now Tampa is low balling him...
Seems different this time....

Name 1 star player drafted by Tampa to play entire career there...

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I am pretty sure Montreal will make a big offer for him, the connection with MSL and Lecavalier with Montreal might help, they need leadership, scoring and good veteran presence, they will also have 10M in cap space this offseason

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Good to see teams being smart and refuse to give those albatross contracts to older players. Hopefully mtl stays out of this unless he's willing to take 1 year deals

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Sabres will take him for two years at an obscene number. 12x2 to get him here. He should still be okay enough to get another contract after that.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Look at Bergeron as a comparable, he took team friendly contracts at the end
Bergeron only took less his final year, and even that was at 5M with performance bonuses. His previous contract had a cap % of 10.69, basically star money.

It's a two way street. The team treats Stamkos well, Stamkos can return in kind. Tampa hasn't treated Stamkos with any respect. They've treated 3rd liners and role players with more respect than someone that's been the face of the organization for 16 YEARS!

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009
I am pretty sure Montreal will make a big offer for him, the connection with MSL and Lecavalier with Montreal might help, they need leadership, scoring and good veteran presence, they will also have 10M in cap space this offseason

Gorton just said yesterday they will not be in on any big free agents. He could be blowing smoke though.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I know he can do that. Im saying he shouldnt have to.

Brisebois screwed up with Jeannot and Sheary. He also traded away most picks that would give him the ability to replace players with guys on the ELC to pay the people deserving of it.
Honestly, JBB has made a number of mistakes. He has hit a few homeruns, and struck out in disastrous ways.

Bergeron only took less his final year, and even that was at 5M with performance bonuses. His previous contract had a cap % of 10.69, basically star money.

It's a two way street. The team treats Stamkos well, Stamkos can return in kind. Tampa hasn't treated Stamkos with any respect. They've treated 3rd liners and role players with more respect than someone that's been the face of the organization for 16 YEARS!
To me it's less about disrespect than just how bad this is for the team. We brought McDonagh back, which would have been great if we followed it up with another move that would have allowed us to keep Stamkos.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
The teams that can afford the cap space may not want them for that long, or may not want to pay any signing bonus'. At least not without the sweetener that Tampa probably doesn't have.
You dump Sheary or Jeannot. Any f***ing where. Canucks dumped 4x2yrs by downgrading ~50 draft spots 3 years from now.

It doesn't even sound like Tampa tried. It's like, here's the offer, take it or leave it. They did the same shit the last time around. Don't think for a second Stamkos will have forgotten about that. He talks all the time about how he doesn't want to leave, his family, his roots are all settled down here.

What a way to treat the face of your franchise of 16 years.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
To me it's less about disrespect than just how bad this is for the team. We brought McDonagh back, which would have been great if we followed it up with another move that would have allowed us to keep Stamkos.
If he re-acquired McDonagh without the foresight of cap management and where the numbers lie, then it's just plain incompetence.

I don't think it's incompetence, so to me, it's just disrespect. If you as a team made a mistake with Sheary, or Jeannot, you make moves to rectify it. The Kings made a mistake with Dubois, they got out. The Canucks made a mistake with Mikheyev, they fixed it. At this point, if Tampa is unwilling to make a move to keep Stamkos, it's either sunk-cost fallacy or disrespect.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he re-acquired McDonagh without the foresight of cap management and where the numbers lie, then it's just plain incompetence.

I don't think it's incompetence, so to me, it's just disrespect. If you as a team made a mistake with Sheary, or Jeannot, you make moves to rectify it. The Kings made a mistake with Dubois, they got out. The Canucks made a mistake with Mikheyev, they fixed it. At this point, if Tampa is unwilling to make a move to keep Stamkos, it's either sunk-cost fallacy or disrespect.
I think it might actually be incompetence. It seems he had no plan to retain Stamkos, or, even if he's losing Stamkos, to replace him. If he wants to be cold-blooded? Fine, I have no problem with that. I've always never been all the way in one corner or the other with Stamkos. Doesn't look like what's happening here though.

This looks a lot more like moving all the team's most valuable assets for Tanner Jeannot.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
If JBB doesn't have a plan here, he should be fired. This is just a terrible mismanagement of assets.
The irony is Tampa Bay fans were not worried about assets when they went back-to-back buy trading the future to win now.
All of the sudden, assets are an issue?
Which is it going to be, having assets or having back-to-back Championships as you cannot have both?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You dump Sheary or Jeannot. Any f***ing where. Canucks dumped 4x2yrs by downgrading ~50 draft spots 3 years from now.

It doesn't even sound like Tampa tried. It's like, here's the offer, take it or leave it. They did the same shit the last time around. Don't think for a second Stamkos will have forgotten about that. He talks all the time about how he doesn't want to leave, his family, his roots are all settled down here.

What a way to treat the face of your franchise of 16 years.
Honestly I think shaving off our already weak depth is the worst move here. We need to trade a bigger name. That way we get real assets back while creating the cap space to keep Stamkos. To me, it's Sergachev who should go, because he's about to make 8.5m playing behind Hedman and McDonagh. And he would return a real asset while giving us the flexibility to keep Stamkos.

The irony is Tampa Bay fans were not worried about assets when they went back-to-back buy trading the future to win now.
Which is it going to be, having assets or having back-to-back Championships as you cannot have both?
When you trade 5 assets for an unproven guy, thus draining everything you have in the cupboard to improve the team in one move, yeah, it's gonna be an issue no matter when it happens. Especially when the guy shows up and looks like a fringe NHL player.

When you trade 5 assets for an unproven guy, thus draining everything you have in the cupboard to improve the team in one move, yeah, it's gonna be an issue no matter when it happens. Especially when the guy shows up and looks like a fringe NHL player.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
What do we think his value is on the open market? Pens have a Stamkos sized hole with money to burn if he's willing to come join the old man's club over here.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Very surprised to hear his agent confirming he will be a free agent. That doesn't preclude a last minute or even post deadline signing, does it? I always thought Stamkos would be a lifer Bolt, but then that's what I thought of Patrick Kane. So many teams could benefit from his experience, leadership and mentorship. Who wouldn't want a widely respected first overall pick, scoring champion, two time Stanley Cup champion who is a proven leader, amongst one's ranks. I would think that despite his age and eventual cap hit, there would be sizeable interest in his services.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad