News: Steven Stamkos to hit free agency on July 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Really surprised he's heading to UFA. Given his tenure and the tax situation in Florida I thought for sure they'd be able to work out a deal. This seems like a tactic to me. I will be shocked if he leaves Tampa.
an extremely conservative estimate but Stammer has prob made at least 40 mil net of tax, escrow, fees, etc.

Tax for a few years is probably a factor, but low on the totem poll. Difference of a hundred grand / yr or so likely isn’t a big deal, just a sweetener.

Just my 2 cents but to me this is likely about TB desire (or lack of) to keep him and maybe Stammer miffed about not being a priority.

NoelVilla

Feb 25, 2019
Interesting. Think he will stay. But Tampa needs to add more pieces so I can see why it's not an easy agreement.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Smart move, Tampa. Was really hoping they'd re-sign him so that they'd have to move younger guys, which I think would have bitten them.
idk I don't think Tampa has a young player that can fill the role he had on the PP last year. A long term contract for Stamkos probably hurts....but in the short term Tampa will hurt not having him putting those Kuch cross seam passes into the back of the net.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
There's no other way to spin this other than JBB is lowballing Stamkos. The Lightning only have $5.3M in space, and he got himself in trouble when he said he thinks that's enough to re-sign him. Stamkos just scored 40G and was the Lightnings best player in the playoffs.

JBB is going to force Stamkos to leave because he's offering a disrespectful offer. This won't look good for JBB at all if this happens.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
how did the bolts f*** this up
Just IMO on the Bolts - over the last couple of sesaons and going into last off-season they made a lot of hard decisions on who is the "core", and they committed to those guys long term. They hoped that a d-core based around Hedman, Cernak, Sergachev with 3 filler guys would be do-able, and allocated the $'s accordingly. Now, Sergachev gets hurt, but even before that they were struggling. They realized they needed to add a 4th guy, so they went out and were able to get McDonough back.
The only way to get those $'s was Stamkos whose contract was expiring. There other option is trying to move one of the "core" guys they identified, but they committed massive terms to those guys and they'd likely to be tough to move. Add in that SS hasn't been driving play at ES for a long time, and given how results driving and "non-nostalgic" the GM is, that's how the Bolts got to where they are. Just IMO, but I don't think they're all that worried about SS leaving.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
You don't know this at all. If anything, Stamkos wants to work with his team and keep his family in Tampa.

This is dumb.
Not knowing anything isn’t stopping a lot of people saying he’s being low balled. No one knows why a deal wasn’t made, but everyone is going to have their own suspicions when no one from either side is talking about it.

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
I feel like we've played in that movie already. And I expect the same ending.
Subban for Weber one-for-one? What a crazy half-hour that was.

Reminds me a bit of the Landeskog situation a couple years back that also ended with him re-signing long term.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Stamkos should offer a team friendly contract of 2-3 years at $3M to stay in Tampa, finish his career there and avoid moving his family. He's got enough money

But if I'm Montreal, I try to convince him to come play with his friend and mentor St-Louis for 2 years for big money. Habs have plenty of room for the next 2 years and could easily afford adding a $10M, even $12M salary and have space for a top 6 winger. Yeah the Habs are not winning the cup anytime soon, but we are at the point where our core needs some playoffs experience and even if Stamkos is not very useful in the playoffs anymore, he can still score and would definitely help getting in and providing leadership to this young team.

It's a pipe dream for sure...
Why should he take less? Why wouldnt the GM make room for him?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
While we may not KNOW for a fact that he is being low-balled, we all have access to the Bolts' cap situation. Some of us like myself are not good with math, but... :)

BriseBois is probably happy the Capitals bought Cap Friendly. He probably wants Vinik to buy Puck Pedia now too!

Reactions: RogerRoger

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
You look at how proactive some teams are at moving out cap, to either retain their players or try to make their team better.

The fact that Tampa is uninterested in doing anything like that, has got to be a kick in the teeth to your captain that has given everything he has to your team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad