News: Steven Stamkos to hit free agency on July 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Probably smart for TB to walk away from a 34 year old with injury history if the term and AAV isn't right but still can't imagine Stamkos in another sweater.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Stamkos is asking for less than 5 and just scored 40 goals. This is insane.
They also offered him a contract through his age 42 season, which is a little crazy too. I think he'd still be productive, personally, until 42 and I can understand actually going after that term and number so you don't get yourself into a situation where you have to offer him a 35+ contract that, if I remember correctly, counts as dead cap even if he retires?

I don't know, I honestly think its stupid letting him walk, especially when the difference is a million. Captain, still a PP weapon, may not be the strongest 5 on 5 player but still holds his own. Its not like he is blocking some blue chips behind him.

Reactions: DFC

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Bing bong steeeeeeeeven. I know you love Mickey Mouse, come to Orange Country, Bing bonnnnnnnng!!!

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
It would be crazy if he actually leaves, but I'll wait to see it actually happen because these Tampa guys tend to stick around

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They also offered him a contract through his age 42 season, which is a little crazy too. I think he'd still be productive, personally, until 42 and I can understand actually going after that term and number so you don't get yourself into a situation where you have to offer him a 35+ contract that, if I remember correctly, counts as dead cap even if he retires?

I don't know, I honestly think its stupid letting him walk, especially when the difference is a million. Captain, still a PP weapon, may not be the strongest 5 on 5 player but still holds his own. Its not like he is blocking some blue chips behind him.
That is the key thing here: it seems stupid. I understand from management's side that there is a number where you just don't bring him back. But by all appearances it seems like he's trying to do the team a favor.

Yes, Stamkos's game has some flaws and it's hard to judge his numbers at face value. But in no world can we get a guy as good as he actually is for anything close to this. Losing him under these circumstances is a catastrophe.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
That's essentially what the deal is only stretched out the years. True definition of cap circumventing

No way stamkos plays 4 more years let alone 8. It's to keep the annual average down. The league would have to reject that. Then again it's Tampa so who knows
You really don't think a 34 year old Steven Stamkos doesn't play 4 more years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad