Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Tulo is a big reason we got to the playoffs twice in a row.

while the prospects we traded for him stink.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
But but but...they need a starter to "finish out the season."

If it weren't for the international pool money it would be meh. Although I don't know why they never gave Kim more of a shot - dude can get on base.

The best part is that the international pool money isn't even a big loss for the Orioles because they intentionally avoid spending in Latin America. They constantly use their international slots to dump bad contracts and acquire low-ceiling prospects and org guys at higher levels instead of signing 16- and 17-year-olds and trying to develop them. Then whatever slots they aren't able to trade away generally go unused.

There's a reason their farm system is always so poorly rated. Their insistance on operating like it's 1970 is going to leave them miles behind everyone else.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
The best part is that the international pool money isn't even a big loss for the Orioles because they intentionally avoid spending in Latin America. They constantly use their international slots to dump bad contracts and acquire low-ceiling prospects and org guys at higher levels instead of signing 16- and 17-year-olds and trying to develop them. Then whatever slots they aren't able to trade away generally go unused.

There's a reason their farm system is always so poorly rated. Their insistance on operating like it's 1970 is going to leave them miles behind everyone else.

Angelos gonna Angelos. I'd feel bad for O's fans, but, well...you know.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Eh what are they supposed to do, the Jays are already the most affordable ticket in town and it's not like it's standard practice to match ticket prices to performance.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Tulo is a big reason we got to the playoffs twice in a row.

while the prospects we traded for him stink.

Negative WPA in 2015, 2016, and 2017.

Reyes' contract would have been done this year. Instead the Jays have three more years of Tulo.

Hindsight is 20/20 (regarding the deal), but Tulo hasn't done close to enough to be referred to as a big reason for getting into the playoffs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
call me crazy but I think having a top-10 - arguably top-5 - SS those 2yrs helped us get to the playoffs.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Maybe defensively, certainly not offensively, and also one of the worst baserunners.

I mean in WAR, which accounts for offense, defense and baserunning, he was 10'th in 2016, and in the 2'nd half of 2015 "I couldn't find a way to make it from the day of the Tulo trade" he was tied for 11'th. He wasn't a top 5 shortstop the last two years but he was a top 10 shortstop.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
its great to see my garbage excel tables get play all over the internet

big days for the #brand

But yeah its pretty ridiculous. This is a bigger increase than either of the last two years, and considering how the team is doing, they're just asking to get absolutely decimated in renewals. My favourite part is the big selling point for early renewal this year is 'seat relocation' which basically indicates that a whole ton of people will be giving up their seasons.

Eh what are they supposed to do, the Jays are already the most affordable ticket in town and it's not like it's standard practice to match ticket prices to performance.

The Jays are the fourth most affordable summer sports ticket in the city. Unless we're saying its because every single game hits the Stubhub floor which, while hilarious, won't happen when there aren't 15K STH every game desperate to dump seats.

Say whatever about the empty seats at the Argos games, the irrelevance of third tier English League Rugby or MLS (although to be clear, the TFC re-sale market is basically the August 2015 Jays market right now), but yeah. There's a lot of other options in the city.

Last edited:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I mean in WAR, which accounts for offense, defense and baserunning, he was 10'th in 2016, and in the 2'nd half of 2015 "I couldn't find a way to make it from the day of the Tulo trade" he was tied for 11'th. He wasn't a top 5 shortstop the last two years but he was a top 10 shortstop.

Sure, if we take everything into account then he's 11th in fWAR (Simmons is not qualified but higher) in 2016. I guess we can celebrate him formerly being the 11th best shortstop and barely providing surplus value for the season (lord knows we can't expect that any longer).

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
its great to see my garbage excel tables get play all over the internet

big days for the #brand

But yeah its pretty ridiculous. This is a bigger increase than either of the last two years, and considering how the team is doing, they're just asking to get absolutely decimated in renewals. My favourite part is the big selling point for early renewal this year is 'seat relocation' which basically indicates that a whole ton of people will be giving up their seasons.

https://blogs-images.forbes.com/mik...3/MLB_Average_Ticket_Prices_2017_Hi-Res-2.jpg

Nothing wrong with the ticket increase. Considering the attendance, how much the team spends, and the recent performance. It sucks, but it falls in line with the rest of the MLB.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010

Inventory is the same for an NBA season or NHL season and a MLB season. GTFO!

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
https://blogs-images.forbes.com/mik...3/MLB_Average_Ticket_Prices_2017_Hi-Res-2.jpg

Nothing wrong with the ticket increase. Considering the attendance, how much the team spends, and the recent performance. It sucks, but it falls in line with the rest of the MLB.

e: First thing first, that chart is referring to prices of tickets on the secondary market, not from the team itself. If anything its even more of a reason that the ticket price hike is moronic. Anyways, original post below.

What do the prices of tickets in San Diego have to do with the prices in Toronto?

Prices should be set at what the market can bear, which can best be shown on the secondary market. It is very clear that this season there is severe overpricing, considering that every game is a firesale on every single ticketing website. Which is "great" for the team right now, but terrible in terms of convincing people to renew. No one can attend all 81 games - virtually all season ticket holders attempt to recoup some of their purchase back via re-selling, and instead everyone is taking heavy losses.

The attendance this year is based off of sales made last September and October. There was basically a floor of 2.6 million ticket sales before a pitch was even thrown this season. That will not exist next year.

This is, at least in my opinion, a dramatic misread of the ticket market by an executive team that basically showed up in town and has seen nothing but sellouts and successful ticket campaigns, even with the elimination of virtually all season ticket perks. It will not end well.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

the toronto blue jays are now said to be willing to listen on their fine lefty starter j.a. Happ, according to sources, though any deal they’d make is with an eye on 2018 and happ is under contract through next year.

It isn’t known what the likelihood of a happ deal might be, but they don’t appear to be shopping him hard, and understandably may not be at all disappointed to carry him into next year.

the jays have made available free-agents-to-be marco estrada and francisco liriano, who both aren’t having their best years. Both are talented pitchers with some october success in their past, so teams are considering those pitchers — though they may be fallback options to the few starters on the market.

the trade market for top starters is very thin, so toronto may just take a look to see if someone would pay strongly. Happ had a big year last year — he finished 20-4 with a 3.18 era and earned a sixth-place cy young finish — but has missed a little time this year and is 3-8 with a 4.15 era. He is to make $13 million next year, the final year of a free agent deal he signed with toronto.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Tough to sell a rebuild AND a ticket price increase in the same year - I can fully understand why they're posturing like they wish to compete in 2018.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Vladdy picked up his first extra base hit in A+ (line drive double). Currently 1-3 with a walk (now has more walks than strikeouts).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad