Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
How does Warmoth look defensively?

Not bad. He hasn't had a ton of defensive chances. He's made a few plays, had a couple of balls get through a hole near him (I wouldn't classify as his fault), and he got eaten up by a tricky hop on a screamer through the IF (probably not his fault either, but it looked bad)

Probably not the best game for a defensive evaluation.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
And as I say that he proceeds to throw 11 balls in a row, bases loaded. Please don't end it here on 4 walks

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
starts with 7 strikes in a row, proceeds to throw 16 balls in the next 18 pitches, 4 walks and the game is over. Bummer

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Riley Adams having a "tough" night. He's 1-3 with a K and an RBI.

Yep, a hit and an RBI is a down performance for Adams, who lowers his batting average to .313

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I was never good at math, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't lower his batting average

When you've been hitting close to .400 for most of the season so far, a 1-3 will lower the average (it's actually 1-4 now. He struck out last time up.)

EDIT: wait. My bad. the 1-3 can't have dropped him to the listed .313. Yeah, my brain shorted out on that one. But the 1-4 does, as he's down to .310 now.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Reason I ask is during last winter management said they need to get younger. That never happened. If anything we got older.

It happens. AA always preached young controllable players and that went out the door in 2013 with the Marlins and Mets deal. After the 2014 season he said we needed to address our pen and rotation and didn't by acquiring Martin, Donaldson and Saunders.

A lot of teams say they want the Astros/Cubs infield, the Red Sox OF, the Yankees pen and the Dodgers rotation. Fact of the matter is every team has goals of how they want to build their team and in most cases it doesn't work out perfectly to plan.

Just because you want something doesn't mean you get it. Got to adapt to the market and the past off season market didn't bear many young athletic players that were on the move unless you were advocating for a rebuild.

So they had no choice but to add the young athletic guys the slower way via the draft and IFA. It will come eventually... you dont get younger for the sake of getting younger as it could make your team worse. The beauty of staying away from big long term deals is all 8 of their expiring deals at the end of the season are 33 years or older with the exception of a 31 year old Barney and a 32 year old Coughlan. As of now the 2018 Jays have 8 players 30 years or older signed for next season compared to the 18 they have now and 11 they had at the end of the 2016 season. Minus Grilli and the 2018 Jays should be a lot younger.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
When you've been hitting close to .400 for most of the season so far, a 1-3 will lower the average (it's actually 1-4 now. He struck out last time up.)

Maybe it would have lowered it a week ago then, but he entered the game hitting .313, and 1 for 3 night would raise the average as it's .333 for the game.

But yeah now that he's 1 for 4 it lowers it.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Maybe it would have lowered it a week ago then, but he entered the game hitting .313, and 1 for 3 night would raise the average as it's .333 for the game.

But yeah now that he's 1 for 4 it lowers it.

Yeah, I realized that above. I didn't clue in that he wasn't up around the high .300s prior to the game, and of course that a .333 for the agme coudln't lower you past .333.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Not bad. He hasn't had a ton of defensive chances. He's made a few plays, had a couple of balls get through a hole near him (I wouldn't classify as his fault), and he got eaten up by a tricky hop on a screamer through the IF (probably not his fault either, but it looked bad)

Probably not the best game for a defensive evaluation.

Thanks. Pissed I couldn't watch it. I live in northern BC and it doesn't come on there. Now I'm visiting my parents in the eastern Fraser valley and it wasn't on. I guess they just show it in the Vancouver and surrounding areas.

frost king

Dec 11, 2013
Can see the front office bailing out on Morales. That would mean they made a major gaffe in signing him so early in the process last year. It would be an admission that they royally mucked up the Encarnacion negotiations.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Can see the front office bailing out on Morales. That would mean they made a major gaffe in signing him so early in the process last year. It would be an admission that they royally mucked up the Encarnacion negotiations.

The two can be mutually exclusive from each other.

Edwin had a 3.9 WAR last season and is on pace for 2.1 WAR this season. If that's what he puts up or potentially worse as he declines then the Jays might have dodged a huge bullet by him not taking 80M over 4 years and Cleveland could have a bad contract on their hands as soon as the end of this season.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Yankees trading for Jamie Garcia from the Twins. Garcia made 1 start with the Twins after being dealt there last week.

Insiders expect that the Yankees will still acquire Gray too.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Disagree completely. The emergence of Smoak has made Morales expendable. The idea was to platoon Pierce and Smoak. Smoak blew up which makes things complicated and forces use Pierce in lf regularly. It was never a mistake to sign Morales. He's just not needed like he was in the off season as we can put Pierce in the DH spot.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Who's running the Braves? The Twins just flipped a pitcher for what looks like close to twice what they paid a week ago. The Braves' GM should be fired immediately for gross incompetence.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Fantastic return for the Twins in my opinion. Would hope for something similar if not better for Estrada and slightly less for Liriano.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Who's running the Braves? The Twins just flipped a pitcher for what looks like close to twice what they paid a week ago. The Braves' GM should be fired immediately for gross incompetence.

It feels more like an ownership issue than anything else. The key for the Braves was saving money, while the Twins got better prospects because they were willing to eat the remainder of Garcia's salary.

The Jays will likely be making trades like the one the Twins made rather than the Braves, which is a good thing.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So Tulo will be hanging out with Travis on the DL once again

The Rockies sure traded him at the right time

Ligament damage. You think his days as a SS might be done? Oh man, he is going to be even slower when he comes back. The guy is going to be dead weight starting next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad