Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Do the Jays management have any plan for the product on the field?

I imagine they want to get younger in the outfield next year and tinker with minor trades and free agents to fill out the roster.

If the Jays want to get better they will need to do it on the backs of young players. Asking a lot but that's the only way this team starts trending back in the right direction soon.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Reason I ask is during last winter management said they need to get younger. That never happened. If anything we got older.

For the 8000th time, getting younger was never going to happen in a single offseason unless they traded away their best players or lower-level prospects for young, controllable players.

It was always meant as a direction they wanted to take the team, not something they would/could do right away. That much has been obvious from the minute they first talked about getting younger.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Heads up west-coasters: Vancouver Canadians on Shaw TV tonight, including a chance to watch both Logan Warmoth and Nate Pearson in the starting lineup

EDIT: by "tonight" I mean right now.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
1 inning in teh books for Pearson. A pair of quick outs and a K to punctuate things, including a 101mph and a pair of 100s.

He'll pitch the 2nd inning too, but that's it.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Apparently the Jays are now willing to listen on Happ. I feel like they potentially got a decent offer and leaked to see if they can get someone else to jump in.

Haven't seen anything more on the royals/Liriano rumour. Generally when you see the link between two teams the trade comes shortly there after. I'm still holding out hope for a Morales and Liriano to kc deal. Even if it's for nothing

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Is the game being broadcast in victoria? Can't find it anywhere.

Not sure. It'd be on your Shaw channel. Shaw TV Vancouver is Channel 4 for me (it's not HD). I dunno if the Victoria Shaw has it too.

Pearson through his 2nd inning. 1 hit and 2 Ks and TONS of heat.

didn't see the pen up yet, maybe he comes out for the 3rd?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Apparently the Jays are now willing to listen on Happ. I feel like they potentially got a decent offer and leaked to see if they can get someone else to jump in.

Haven't seen anything more on the royals/Liriano rumour. Generally when you see the link between two teams the trade comes shortly there after. I'm still holding out hope for a Morales and Liriano to kc deal. Even if it's for nothing

They could make that deal in August, too.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
They could make that deal in August, too.

If they deal happ it would happen between now and Monday. I really don't see it happening given the rotation concerns heading into next season.

If I was a betting man I'd say Smith and Liriano get moved now and the Jays will hope to move others in August (and hope they can build a bit of value).

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
For as much as we all love to rip on Buck and Pat for being bad, every time I watch a C's game on TV and I get their TV/Radio broadcaster Rob Fai I end up being thankful for the fact that Buck could be a lot worse. Fai is so godawful that it's painful. And because the TV and radio broadcasts use the same source audio, it's not even like I can sync my TV to a radio broadcast because it's the same nonsense.

Tonight's highlights have included:

• Mocking the sideline reporter for her pronunciation of "karate" (because she used the correct way, not the westernized "kah-rah-tee"
  • Spinning off the karate discussion into questioning where it was invented, including guessing Nigeria.
  • A barrage of dumb homespun sayings spun off of his original fake-folksy saying "smooth as your mom's legs on her first date with your dad"
  • references to flava flav and tila tequila
  • referring to any players that played for or against the C's in the past as pitchers (chiefly Trevor Gretzky (who was an IF, I think 1B) and Jeremy Barfield (OF))
  • shock and incredulity at one of the players wearing one of those base-runner's mitts (he'd never seen it before in spite of the scads of MLB players that use them)
  • top pitching prospect Nate "Peterson"
  • Comparing a Tri-City pitcher to Osuna for seemingly no reason other than the fact that they're both Mexican.

Argh...

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
For as much as we all love to rip on Buck and Pat for being bad, every time I watch a C's game on TV and I get their TV/Radio broadcaster Rob Fai I end up being thankful for the fact that Buck could be a lot worse. Fai is so godawful that it's painful. And because the TV and radio broadcasts use the same source audio, it's not even like I can sync my TV to a radio broadcast because it's the same nonsense.

Tonight's highlights have included:

• Mocking the sideline reporter for her pronunciation of "karate" (because she used the correct way, not the westernized "kah-rah-tee"
  • Spinning off the karate discussion into questioning where it was invented, including guessing Nigeria.
  • A barrage of dumb homespun sayings spun off of his original fake-folksy saying "smooth as your mom's legs on her first date with your dad"
  • references to flava flav and tila tequila
  • referring to any players that played for or against the C's in the past as pitchers (chiefly Trevor Gretzky (who was an IF, I think 1B) and Jeremy Barfield (OF))
  • shock and incredulity at one of the players wearing one of those base-runner's mitts (he'd never seen it before in spite of the scads of MLB players that use them)
  • top pitching prospect Nate "Peterson"
  • Comparing a Tri-City pitcher to Osuna for seemingly no reason other than the fact that they're both Mexican.

Argh...

Ew... seems like a real winner.

I'll give him a BIT of credit because at least he's announcing for a lower-level minor league affiliate. Matt Devlin, on the other hand, has limited knowledge of the basics of baseball, no understanding at all of the nuances of the sport, and somehow manages to be completely incapable of keeping up with the pace of play (!) or reading a play as it develops... and we get to experience the joy of listening to him learn what the hell he's doing with a major league team.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Ew... seems like a real winner.

I'll give him a BIT of credit because at least he's announcing for a lower-level minor league affiliate. Matt Devlin, on the other hand, has limited knowledge of the basics of baseball, no understanding at all of the nuances of the sport, and somehow manages to be completely incapable of keeping up with the pace of play (!) or reading a play as it develops... and we get to experience the joy of listening to him learn what the hell he's doing with a major league team.

Devlin at least has the broadcast patter and general cadence of announcing down. It's not nearly as distracting as a guy who is trying waaay too hard to be funny (and thinks he is really funny/clever) and just being cringe-worthy.

Latest gem?

"I get the feeling with the way this game is going that the next run wins."

The score is 5-3 Vancouver. :laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Devlin at least has the broadcast patter and general cadence of announcing down. It's not nearly as distracting as a guy who is trying waaay too hard to be funny (and thinks he is really funny/clever) and just being cringe-worthy.

Latest gem?

Tri-City just scored a run. They trail 5-4, but come away with the victory according to Rob Fai. :sarcasm::laugh:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Latest gem?

Ha... if you get paid to talk, it's probably a good idea to think about and understand cliches and other sayings before you start using them.

But you know... when in Rome...

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So I'm not one to follow random minor league games. But the Chattanooga Lookouts and Birmingham Barons are currently in the 20th inning. The Lookouts appear to be out of pitchers as they have a position player pitching for the 2nd inning in a row. They have 3 pen arms left but all pitched yesterday so I guess they're playing hard on not having them go 2 days in a row. Alex Perez, the 2nd baseman turned pitcher hasn't given up a hit in 2 innings. They also lost their DH early in the game and had real pitchers hitting 3 times, and are currently using a starting pitcher in RF

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
To the 21st we go. The Lookouts starter went 9 innings and they got 18 innings out of only 5 pitchers before they ran out. It's kinda incredible it took until the 19th inning for a position player when they only had 5 guys available. The Barons through 20 using 6 guys have 1 pen arm left that hasn't pitched yet and didn't pitch yesterday.

And the Lookouts CF comes in to pitch the 21st

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Guess that extra Barons pitcher isn't gonna pitch today as they put in a position player to pitch. Former 2nd baseman now pitcher Toby Thomas strikes out, former 2nd baseman, former pitcher, now 2nd baseman Alex Perez, and starting pitcher now right fielder Randy LeBlanc both on 3 pitches. All kinds of peope doing things they don't normally do.

Also where the heck are they getting all these good position player pitchers? This is double A, it's not like these guys just came out of HS and did both recently. They likely haven't pitched in years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad