Blue Jays Discussion: Steve Pearce: comeback machine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
It's crazy that we have Vlad and Bichette doing what they're doing at the same time. 1 player performing that well at such a young age is already rare, we have 2 of them.

In the next 2 years at the earliest:
Vlad, Bichette, Donaldson, Smoak, Morales, Martin, Pillar, Alford
Sanchez, Stroman, Happ, Osuna, Biagini, maybe SRF and Pearson?

Sign UFAs to fill in needs/holes.

You could be real good with that group

The 2019 and 2020 teams will be interesting, though I think 2020 will be the first full year for the two. That year, you'll have Sanchez\Stroman\Osuna in their final year of control, Alford (24), Jansen (25), Gurriel (26), then maybe one of Tellez (25)/Pentencost (27)/Pompey (27) and maybe two of SRF (24)/Greene (25)/Harris (26)/Rios (25)/Zeuch (24)/Romano (27)/Borucki (26). And of course, the corpse of Tulo.

What a psycho. lol

Pretty typical reaction from someone who know the person they've enraged really can't lay a finger on them. We all know or have known "that guy".

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
The 2019 and 2020 teams will be interesting, though I think 2020 will be the first full year for the two. That year, you'll have Sanchez\Stroman\Osuna in their final year of control, Alford (24), Jansen (25), Gurriel (26), then maybe one of Tellez (25)/Pentencost (27)/Pompey (27) and maybe two of SRF (24)/Greene (25)/Harris (26)/Rios (25)/Zeuch (24)/Romano (27)/Borucki (26). And of course, the corpse of Tulo.

Pretty typical reaction from someone who know the person they've enraged really can't lay a finger on them. We all know or have known "that guy".

What do you think Borucki's future is? It's hard to get a read on him since he's old for the level. Back-end starter or bullpen piece?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
What do you think Borucki's future is? It's hard to get a read on him since he's old for the level. Back-end starter or bullpen piece?

He's a great example of development is non-linear. Big, lean, Left handed, up to mid-90's with his fastball, good slider, good changeup. Raw still, after missing time because of the TJ surgery immediately out of high school. Then, missing even more time after that due to different set-backs. Though he's 23, he only had his first full season in pro ball last year at 22.

He's the sleeper pick in the Jays system among the starters. The pitcher version of Danny Jansen, if you will lol. Here's a great interview explaining what happened injury wise, and how's he healthy now.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
He's a great example of development is non-linear. Big, lean, Left handed, up to mid-90's with his fastball, good slider, good changeup. Raw still, after missing time because of the TJ surgery immediately out of high school. Then, missing even more time after that due to different set-backs. Though he's 23, he only had his first full season in pro ball last year at 22.

He's the sleeper pick in the Jays system among the starters. The pitcher version of Danny Jansen, if you will lol. Here's a great interview explaining what happened injury wise, and how's he healthy now.

Cartilage getting stuck in the joint sounds nasty. Anytime you have a lefty coming at you with velo it's intriguing. Hopefully he can turn into something.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

stroman threw 90 pitches, of which 52 were strikes.

the right-hander declined comment on the umpires afterwards. But he made it clear that he’s not going to change his heart-on-the-sleeve, pump-it-up playing style.

“i’m an emotional guy. I’m going to continue to be myself regardless of who doesn’t like it, who likes it,†he told reporters. “i’m always going to be myself regardless here on out.

“i’m emotional. That’s how i pitch. That’s what i pride myself on. That what allows me to be my best out there and that’s how it’s going to continue to be day-in and day-out. So if you don’t like it, it’s ok.â€
he says what you see is what you get these days when it comes to who he is.

“i’m confident, more comfortable for sure. I’m being myself. When you come up (to the majors), it sometimes hard to be yourself being a young guy. Now i feel like i’m settled in, i can completely be myself. There’s no reason to hang back.

“none of it is ill-natured by any means. It’s things that i need to do, talk to myself to get myself in the moment, to get myself up for a particular pitch. And itâ€s not going to change going forward … and nobody can sway that.â€

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Cartilage getting stuck in the joint sounds nasty. Anytime you have a lefty coming at you with velo it's intriguing. Hopefully he can turn into something.

Your best bets for starters (as in, above fringe, MLB #3's) out of the bunch are SRF and him, IMO. And if I was trading with the Jays (as an opposing GM) I would target him in trade. He checks all the boxes.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

kudos to mark sheldon for capturing the exchange and posting it to twitter. After watching this clip far too many times, i think i’ve pieced together what i believe to be the transcript of gibby’s outburst on will little. Enjoy.

(gibbons from the dugout) hey! Flip a coin!

(little tosses out gibbons)

(gibby saunters towards home plate)

how is your f*#%ing day? Were you out all f*#%ing night?

Nobody knows what you’re going to f*#%ing call. One time it’s up, one time it’s down. One time it’s in. This pitcher hasn’t walked four guys in his f*#%ing life.

(little shrugs, gives a smug look)

don’t give me that f*#%ing shrug. Tell me you had a ********* day – one time – we all do, okay?

Ohhhh, you’re not f*#%ing doing it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Your best bets for starters (as in, above fringe, MLB #3's) out of the bunch are SRF and him, IMO. And if I was trading with the Jays (as an opposing GM) I would target him in trade. He checks all the boxes.

is he actually up to 97?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

as a seller, it is better to make a deal before the deadline as opposed to during the waiver period. Prior to the deadline, clubs have leverage because they can sell to multiple teams. If a player gets claimed during the waiver period, then he can only be traded to that one team. It’s hard to make a good deal with only one club interested.

the blue jays have proclaimed themselves both buyers and sellers as the deadline approaches. If they buy, they will only acquire players who offer control beyond this season. If a deal doesn’t get done before the july 31 deadline, this type of player won’t clear waivers and won’t likely get to them on waivers. So, if the jays don’t buy now they won’t be buying until the off-season.

if the jays are going to sell, guys like marco estrada, francisco liriano, jose bautista and joe smith could be on the move. If a deal isn’t struck by the deadline, it will be because the underperformance of the players has limited the market or the return wasn’t worth the reduction in competitiveness at the big-league level.

The only player who wouldn’t likely get through waivers in august is joe smith, because he has performed well and has a reasonable contract.

The likelihood is that any deal for liriano, estrada and bautista would include the jays having to eat some part of their salary so they will all clear waivers. If a club claims any of the three, the jays can give them to that club to get out from the remaining salary. This will allow toronto to trade them to any interested team, so, if they perform better in august a trade market could pop up.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Seriously, how can anyone not love John Gibbons?

he doesn't play smrtball or winnerball. He tells his guys to rely on the HR even if they want to bunt. He tells his pitchers to be erratic. He tells his guys to just loaf around on D.

He's not a winner like John Farrell. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad