GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Cowan is in a weird spot where he's too good for juniors but clearly not good enough for pros at this point. It'd be nice if he were ahl eligible

Cowan can't get lost in the mentality that he's too good for juniors. It's a big step to go from the OHL and NHL, he already took a huge step last year and needs to keep working. Of course you'd want him to take a Wyatt Johnston type step and become a contributor right away, but a Logan Stankoven took a D+2 and he's well positioned to be an NHLer after a pro year at 20. If you're not ready you're not ready.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Hey Leafs fans, as a Blazers fan... I'm curious to know what your guys expectation for Minten is? When is he expected to return from injury? NHL or AHL this year?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Finally got around to reading the main board thread.

Wow what a trip.
I was just thinking about this today, but doesn't it amaze you how many fanbases have a dedicated Leafs hater poster who do nothing but just talk about the Leafs and Leaf fans and instigate stuff with them all the time? (e.g. PaulD). Yet there are no Leaf posters who dedicate their time solely to actively trolling and obsessively discussing a rival team or its fans, at least not that I know of. Imagine making your entire personality about hating another team lol, more than you even discuss your own team.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I was just thinking about this today, but doesn't it amaze you how many fanbases have a dedicated Leafs hater poster who do nothing but just talk about the Leafs and Leaf fans and instigate stuff with them all the time? (e.g. PaulD). Yet there are no Leaf posters who dedicate their time solely to actively trolling and obsessively discussing a rival team or its fans, at least not that I know of. Imagine making your entire personality about hating another team lol
Yup I've thought about this multiple times and it never ceases to amaze me just how pathetic some individuals can be.

Whoever doxxed the kid's parents to send them death threats, like wtf are you honestly doing with your life?

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Hey Leafs fans, as a Blazers fan... I'm curious to know what your guys expectation for Minten is? When is he expected to return from injury? NHL or AHL this year?
Because of the injury, he will start in the AHL. I have no knowledge of the fact, but my feeling is he will be given a shot when he comes back after getting up to speed in the AHL. Just a feeling I have.

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I'm hoping we do a big round of cuts and keep only 16-17 forwards, and 10 d or so tomorrow.

Bring it down to:

Forwards (17):
Knies - Matthews - Marner
Pacioretty - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Domi - Jarnkrok
McMann - Kampf - Lorentz
Grebenkin - Holmberg - Reaves
Cowan/Steeves

Injured - Conor Dewar

Cut:
Nick Abruzzese
Joseph Blandisi
Kyle Clifford
Roni Hirvonen
Braeden Kressler
Robert Mastrosimone
Alex Nylander
Cedric Pare
Jacob Quillian
Logan Shaw
Zach Solow
Sam Stevens
Ryan Tverberg
Ty Voit
Whoever Else I'm missing

Defence (9):
Rielly - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
OEL - Liljegren
Rifai- Timmins
Myers

Injured - Ben Danford, Jani Hakanpaa

Cut:
Matt Anderson
Jacob Bengtsson
Mikko Kokkonen
Nicolas Mattinen
Ryan McCleary
Dakota Mermis
Tommy Miller
Topi Niemela (would of liked to see him play)
Matteo Petroniro
Chas Sharpe
William Villeneuve
Cade Webber

Goalies (4):
Joseph Woll
Anthony Stolarz
Matt Murray
Dennis Hildeby

Cut:
Artur Akhtyamov
John Gillies (Released)
Vyacheslav Peksa

-------------------------------------------

Give Cowan, Steeves, and Grebenkin one more look. Give more minutes to both of our PTOs. Myers/Rifai have shown enough to get a longer look in my opinion. Hildeby was fantastic.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I'm hoping we do a big round of cuts and keep only 16-17 forwards, and 10 d or so tomorrow.

Bring it down to:

Forwards (17):
Knies - Matthews - Marner
Pacioretty - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Domi - Jarnkrok
McMann - Kampf - Lorentz
Grebenkin - Holmberg - Reaves
Cowan/Steeves

Injured - Conor Dewar

Cut:
Nick Abruzzese
Joseph Blandisi
Kyle Clifford
Roni Hirvonen
Braeden Kressler
Robert Mastrosimone
Alex Nylander
Cedric Pare
Jacob Quillian
Logan Shaw
Zach Solow
Sam Stevens
Ryan Tverberg
Ty Voit
Whoever Else I'm missing

Defence (9):
Rielly - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
OEL - Liljegren
Rifai- Timmins
Myers

Injured - Ben Danford, Jani Hakanpaa

Cut:
Matt Anderson
Jacob Bengtsson
Mikko Kokkonen
Nicolas Mattinen
Ryan McCleary
Dakota Mermis
Tommy Miller
Topi Niemela (would of liked to see him play)
Matteo Petroniro
Chas Sharpe
William Villeneuve
Cade Webber

Goalies (4):
Joseph Woll
Anthony Stolarz
Matt Murray
Dennis Hildeby

Cut:
Artur Akhtyamov
John Gillies (Released)
Vyacheslav Peksa

-------------------------------------------

Give Cowan, Steeves, and Grebenkin one more look. Give more minutes to both of our PTOs. Myers/Rifai have shown enough to get a longer look in my opinion. Hildeby was fantastic.
Agree with all of this.

Perhaps keep Niemela up to see him in a game. There might be a reason we haven't yet. Maybe that reason passes in the next few days.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He will likely be in the AHL. Most fans think he will be a very good 3C in the NHL who an sometimes fill a 2C role with injury. He is listed week to week at this point.

Reactions: LuckyBoeser
Sep 18, 2009
I was just thinking about this today, but doesn't it amaze you how many fanbases have a dedicated Leafs hater poster who do nothing but just talk about the Leafs and Leaf fans and instigate stuff with them all the time? (e.g. PaulD). Yet there are no Leaf posters who dedicate their time solely to actively trolling and obsessively discussing a rival team or its fans, at least not that I know of. Imagine making your entire personality about hating another team lol, more than you even discuss your own team.
That is why the Leafs are the most important team

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
“Potential to build a top tier team”? That literally means nothing.
“Ability to match up against any quality of team?” This has not been shown. We’ve pretty much only lost in the first round, you have no clue what this team would look like in later rounds.
“Disadvantaged”? Also not true. We’ve been gifted numerous advantageous situations and still failed. Even if you want to say we play good teams early, we are also a good team in your eyes so our opponents are still “disadvantaged” yet find ways to win.
The quality potential of a team absolutely matters. Many teams do not have the rarest and most important pieces necessary to build a top tier team, let alone a consistent one. Many teams do not have real cup potential, even if everything falls their way. Teams don't throw that away for no reason. Many people here also like pretending that our cap allocation prevents having a top tier team, despite that already being proven false.

We have also shown that we can match up against any quality of team having any kind of run in the playoffs. Round is irrelevant. We have faced off against top tier teams in this league. We have faced off against cup finalists. We have faced teams/goalies having the run of their lives. We have done so through a period when we were probably the most disadvantaged team from the pandemic flat cap (especially considering the state of our prospect pool directly prior). Through significant injuries. Through suspensions. Etc. We always put up a battle; often the toughest one that team faces outside of the Cup finals. Obviously, the end outcome hasn't been what we've wanted yet, but it's much easier to break through with that one extra goal for or one less goal against than to take a giant leap backwards and rely on hopes and dreams to magically fix everything.

We're at a point where small differences in external factors alone can flip outcomes, and we now also have a rapidly rising cap, a refilled prospect pool with prospects graduating, a weakening division, our best players in their primes, etc. This is not the time to throw in the towel.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Either way, the smart answer would have been "I'll probably give it a look"
It's hilarious how people always complain that NHL players have no personality and just give canned, generic answers to every question, and then Marner gives a simple, honest answer about something irrelevant like his desire to watch some silly TV show, and people complain that he didn't lie and give the most generic possible answer. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: francis246 and bax

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
It's hilarious how people always complain that NHL players have no personality and just give canned, generic answers to every question, and then Marner gives a simple, honest answer about something irrelevant like his desire to watch some silly TV show, and people complain that he didn't lie and give the most generic possible answer. :laugh:
I feel like you are both right

Marner should know to play the game a bit more. He knows Toronto media can make a mountain out of a mole hill and that Toronto fans can do eve worse on the internet :laugh:

But also, what's wrong with being honest? If it's something he's not interested in watching, so be it. I for one would probably have minimal interest in rewatching a documentary on my workplace after just living it, especially if it was one of my worst-lived years at said workplace (which for me it actually was this past year - yay! - hahaha)

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Marner should know to play the game a bit more. He knows Toronto media can make a mountain out of a mole hill and that Toronto fans can do eve worse on the internet
Marner likely knows that "playing the game" is pointless, because there is no winning the game. He knows that Toronto media and especially people on the internet can and will make any mole hill, no matter how small or irrelevant, into a mountain. If Marner can get blasted for not being particularly interested in a TV show, there is literally nothing he can say that will be "safe". Toronto media and crazy people on the internet who want to be mad, will always find a way.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I've always said that this board has more "leaf haters" than fans. Like Im talking about people who doesn't even cheer for another team, but just made an account just to shit on the leafs.

Would be nice to embrace this "Villain Aura". But too bad our team can't do shit in the playoffs.

Atleast the Yankees and Lakers have years where they end up winning a title here and there

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Doesn't look like Alex Nylander has the same lower body base and power Willie has. He looks spindly on his legs and doesn't have that power that Willie has developed over the years.
No surprise to me, AHL fodder until he can develop his game……

History would say the Leafs will have to add to get rid of Kampf (maybe a third).
Apparently LA us looking for bottom six C and will need a replacement for Drew on right side of the D, so we’re prefect trading partners imo…….

Reactions: LeafSteel

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not surprised Timmins has found his way to into the top 6, he's had a really good preseason.

Reactions: TMLAM34

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
Not surprised Timmins has found his way to into the top 6, he's had a really good preseason.
You think this is really where Berube is gonna go at the start of the season? Sit newly signed $3mill Liljegren game 1? I agree that Timmins has looked pretty good so I’m curious to see how this goes.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You think this is really where Berube is gonna go at the start of the season? Sit newly signed $3mill Liljegren game 1? I agree that Timmins has looked pretty good so I’m curious to see how this goes.
Yeah, not really sure. I would hope he dresses players on merit and not because of their contracts.

Perhaps the Timmins pair is the 4th pair and they weren't listed in any particular order.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Still likely Timmins is traded or waived. Likely a showcase. Unless Timmins becomes a good PKer, he is not making this team. Otherwise they are overloading OEL or putting Rielly on the PK which is not smart

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad