Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Even if Sean Walker is one of the 3 instead of Tanev?
The Avs' complete inability to chip and chase, then play below the goal line was their undoing. Just look at how Edmonton is playing Dallas, it isn't difficult or require a ton of talent... it takes a different mindset and strategy.

Yes. It was the coaches, not the players.
IMO it was both. Players are the guys on the ice, and many of them have chipped and chased in their hockey careers. Too many of them tried to play hero or fit impossible passes.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
IMO it was both. Players are the guys on the ice, and many of them have chipped and chased in their hockey careers. Too many of them tried to play hero or fit impossible passes.
Out of despair because the gameplan wasn't working.

If Bednar runs into DeBoer in the playoffs again next year we'll get the same result.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Out of despair because the gameplan wasn't working.

If Bednar runs into DeBoer in the playoffs again next year we'll get the same result.
I don't think it is despair... more that they think they are talented enough to make plays through any window. The Avs mentality as a team (coaches and players) that if they execute, nobody can beat them. You break up that execution and they start looking pretty average.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Really? I actually think it's very likely.

Tanev had a huge impact in our series, he was a huge reason our top guys were largely controlledat 5 on 5. If we had those impacts on our side of what was a tight series... Ya, I think we're still playing.
We would still come out a goal short because we were short handed. No Val, no Landy. Again, without those 2 we aren’t winning shit unless they come back or we replace them

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don't think it is despair... more that they think they are talented enough to make plays through any window. The Avs mentality as a team (coaches and players) that if they execute, nobody can beat them. You break up that execution and they start looking pretty average.
Which is the big reason I wouldn't mind a little heat being applied to Bednar's chair this season. If he's not getting new ACs, he really needs to come up with something more than skate harder than the other team.

The PK, absolutely needs to be move aggressive and mobile. The PP...f*** can we try doing the drop pass to JMFJ...at least that would be surprising. Also, I feel like a lot of the time we're getting pinned in the defensive zone is on the forwards chomping at the bits and exiting too quickly and not as a unit. They get separated from the D and the D get trapped. They mostly adjust and get back on track after a game or two, but I feel like this has been an ongoing issue for a couple of seasons now.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
We brag about our pro scouts but those guys got a top pairing in Forsling and Montour for next to nothing. Unheard of.
Forsling, Mikkola, Montour, Loustarinen, Verhaeghe, Bennett were all targetted by their pro scouts. Not counting players like Reinhart, OEL, Rodrigues who were already a known quantity.

But their whole team is essentially made of cast-offs or free agents.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Forsling, Mikkola, Montour, Loustarinen, Verhaeghe, Bennett were all targetted by their pro scouts. Not counting players like Reinhart, OEL, Rodrigues who were already a known quantity.

But their whole team is essentially made of cast-offs or free agents.
Gotta give Zito credit here too. He was a former agent then scout then assistant GM. He’s a huge part of grabbing these guys. He was also a big part of the uptick that Columbus had for years. Such a good gm.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Panthers have been the better team in all 5 games

Also what the f*** happened to Panarin?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I’m beginning to think offer sheeting Sakic was really a crisis
It'd be a strange thing to do, but can you imagine an alternate universe where the Avs don't match and all the ways that could have unfolded over the years?

I used to make complete what if seasons on NHL 2K and the late 90s early 00s EA versions. Stuff like, what if the AVs had kept Sundin. What if Lindros wasn't a punk bitch and signed with Quebec? What if Tanguay could stay on-sides?

Well that last one is a bit of a stretch, but it can be fun at times to think on these things...especially now because well, the Avs hands are largely tied and we can't really speculate on anything of real substance, so reimagining the past is a cool way to pass the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad