Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It'd be a strange thing to do, but can you imagine an alternate universe where the Avs don't match and all the ways that could have unfolded over the years?

I used to make complete what if seasons on NHL 2K and the late 90s early 00s EA versions. Stuff like, what if the AVs had kept Sundin. What if Lindros wasn't a punk bitch and signed with Quebec? What if Tanguay could stay on-sides?

Well that last one is a bit of a stretch, but it can be fun at times to think on these things...especially now because well, the Avs hands are largely tied and we can't really speculate on anything of real substance, so reimagining the past is a cool way to pass the time.
Good points, but I was really being sarcastic because how much they advertise that show Saving Sakic. Seems like it’s every 2 minutes and it’s kinda getting old LOL

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Good points, but I was really being sarcastic because how much they advertise that show Saving Sakic. Seems like it’s every 2 minutes and it’s kinda getting old LOL
I'm still having flashbacks to ESPN's spoken word scrawl during commercials from earlier in the season.

I love streaming. I will pay for legal streaming. But damn, they need to do a better job with commercial breaks. *LOL* Same two or three all game long, like you said with the Saving Sakic thing.

They need more of these...

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm still having flashbacks to ESPN's spoken word scrawl during commercials from earlier in the season.

I love streaming. I will pay for legal streaming. But damn, they need to do a better job with commercial breaks. *LOL* Same two or three all game long, like you said with the Saving Sakic thing.

They need more of these...

I forgot about this one LOL

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming

I really think it could have been a 28 minute show too... instead of 48 lol

But hey, ESPN+ got rid of their voiceover so yay! No more "LIVE SPORTS!!!!"

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
For how apparently Fourgiev was in the playoffs he actually had negative GSAA and was one of the worst goalie in the playoffs. Guessing he looked decent because somehow the Vezina winner looked worse.

Attachments

• IMG_1262.jpeg
    IMG_1262.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 5

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
For how apparently Fourgiev was in the playoffs he actually had negative GSAA and was one of the worst goalie in the playoffs. Guessing he looked decent because somehow the Vezina winner looked worse.
Goals against: 33
Expected goals against: 31.6

And that includes the game 1 fiasco of 7 goals in 23 shots.

Georgiev wasn't part of the problem in those playoffs.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Goals against: 33
Expected goals against: 31.6

And that includes the game 1 fiasco of 7 goals in 23 shots.

Georgiev wasn't part of the problem in those playoffs.
I mean he wasn't the solution either. Even if his SVAA was zero it means he was barely doing his job. Oettinger is sitting at 8.4. You can't tell me that's not the differences in a close series.

Fact is the Colorado Avalanche DID NOT win a SINGLE game in the playoffs without scoring at least 4 goals.

Georgiev stole ZERO game for the team since probably the first 6 games of the year. I don't understand how somebody can be THAT bad. Even guys like Raycroft or Budaj would steal a game occasionally.

Call me a hater if you want but I have zero reason to hate on the guy other than his play.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Call me a hater if you want but I have zero reason to hate on the guy other than his play.

I already told you that I've never seen someone on this board hate any Av player as much as you hate Georgiev. You've been on a mission.

Better prepare yourself mentally because he's going to be here next year too and you're not gonna like it.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I mean he wasn't the solution either. Even if his SVAA was zero it means he was barely doing his job. Oettinger is sitting at 8.4. You can't tell me that's not the differences in a close series.

Fact is the Colorado Avalanche DID NOT win a SINGLE game in the playoffs without scoring at least 4 goals.
The Avs didn't really deserve to win a game in the playoffs without scoring at least 4 goals though?

There's plenty of blame to go around. I'm not sure how much is Bednar vs the players but Bednar should be taking a lot of heat for not being able to get his team to play differently when needed and if they players truly are being stubborn about it, then that's a whole other issue that I really hope isn't happening.

I totally melted down on Georgiev after S1G1 but I really came back around. He kept them in games they had no business being around in. He had moments of stellar play. He also had some soft goals. Every goalie does to some extent. I would say that he's done enough, especially with all the other issues at play this summer, to stave off being something the Avs are interested in making a change to more of a sure we'll listen if it comes up in discussions, but we're not really looking at this point type of deal. They'll allow him to start his final year in Denver and hopefully allow Justus to push for more starts regularly. Not necessarily a full blown 1B, because we've seen how Georgiev does in full platoon mode and it wasn't perdy, but regular reliefs and preferably against some stiffer competition so we can really see what he's bringing.

Personally, I still think Georgiev is good enough to win with, but not good enough to steal you wins. Of course, he's not paid like he's there to steal us wins either. We'd have to draft that kind of goalie or spend a lot more in free-agency and trade assets.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I already told you that I've never seen someone on this board hate any Av player as much as you hate Georgiev. You've been on a mission.

Better prepare yourself mentally because he's going to be here next year too and you're not gonna like it.
A guy can hope...I bet Rantanen doesn't really like the guy either though...

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022

Georgiev stole ZERO game for the team since probably the first 6 games of the year. I don't understand how somebody can be THAT bad. Even guys like Raycroft or Budaj would steal a game occasionally.

It takes good drafting or assets to get a good goalie though.

Assets that can be used to plug the holes in the top 9. Which are more glaring.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
At least it's only for 1 more year right......right?
Yes and then expect the Avs to trade a couple of 2nd round picks for another Georgiev/Grubauer type of backup goalie somewhere that they'll try to turn into a cheap starter.

That's what they do.

With Annunen and Georgiev we may have the cheapest goalie tandem in the league in 2024-25.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I hate the Oilers fanbase but I wouldn't be that mad if they win the cup. Both McDavid and Canada need a cup badly.

Would genuinely feel bad for Avs fans living in AB though. I can imagine it would be an insufferable 12 months.
I’d still prefer Florida win but I’m coming around to Edmonton ahead of the Rangers (already preferred them to Dallas). I don’t mind the Canadian team Cup drought ending if only just to stop having to hear about it

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
There was a time when RNH was compared to Sakic and Yzerman. I see the vision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad