Stanley Cup Finals: (WC2) Florida Panthers vs (P1) Vegas Golden Knights | VGK Lead 3-1

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Cassidy was the reason I bet on Vegas, Bobrovsky the reason for Florida.

So now idk, Vegas has better offense than Florida has seen, and Florida better offense than Vegas has seen.

If Bobrovsky keeps up this insane run I'll take the Panthers I think.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I have no f***ing idea anymore. If Vegas plays with this kind of killer instinct in the Finals, it can be a real interesting series. Otherwise, fingers crossed the magic wore off for Bob with all that time off.
So... work with me here....

To "bob" is to both ascend and decend, whereas a "hill" only ascends...

I know it's not much...

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Yeah I forgot about that one, that's definitely the most recent one. Before that, it would be the 2012 Kings correct?

Honestly I thought it was a bigger deal, I thought you'd have to go back like 20-30 years to find a matchup like this.
2012 was Kings-Devils I believe, so that would've ruled that out as a guaranteed 1st time winner. I think before 2018 you have to back to 2007 maybe, Ducks-Sens, to find a SCF with a guaranteed 1st time Cup.winner(could be wrong though).

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cinderella teams usually come up short. Vegas in six.
Are Florida really a Cinderella team though? They won the presidents trophy last year and made the playoffs by 15 points the year before, albeit in a very different division and format. They were on pace for 115 points that year in 82 games.

The only thing Cinderella about them is Bobrovsky really isn’t as good (anymore) as he’s been these playoffs. He’s playing above his current abilities. Bobrovsky being mediocre was a factor in why they just barely squeaked into the playoffs and didn’t get in by a healthy margin.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Cassidy was the reason I bet on Vegas, Bobrovsky the reason for Florida.

So now idk, Vegas has better offense than Florida has seen, and Florida better offense than Vegas has seen.

If Bobrovsky keeps up this insane run I'll take the Panthers I think.
Edmonton had the best offense in the league this year? Do you mean a better depth offense than they've seen so far?

I'd argue Florida presents the best goaltending Vegas has faced thus far if Bob doesn't come back to Earth.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hmm they really aren't playing game 1 till Saturday? That's a lot of days off for Florida.
That’s one thing that could wind up hurting them.

That’s a lot of days off between games.

Reactions: BTO

Mean Streak

Apr 20, 2016
Yeah I forgot about that one, that's definitely the most recent one. Before that, it would be the 2012 Kings correct?

Honestly I thought it was a bigger deal, I thought you'd have to go back like 20-30 years to find a matchup like this.

The one before 2018, was in 2007, when the Ducks played the Senators. The Kings played the Devils in 2012, who had already won 3 Cups.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Edmonton had the best offense in the league this year? Do you mean a better depth offense than they've seen so far?

I'd argue Florida presents the best goaltending Vegas has faced thus far if Bob doesn't come back to Earth.
Bob is on a historic heater. I think that pretty much erases all other stats. He sacres me. Like clowns and overly artistic balloon animals scare me.

Reactions: Laus723

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Are Florida really a Cinderella team though? They won the presidents trophy last year and made the playoffs by 15 points the year before, albeit in a very different division and format. They were on pace for 115 points that year in 82 games.

The only thing Cinderella about them is Bobrovsky really isn’t as good (anymore) as he’s been these playoffs. He’s playing above his current abilities. Bobrovsky being mediocre was a factor in why they just barely squeaked into the playoffs and didn’t get in by a healthy margin.

In sports, the terms Cinderella, "Cinderella story", and Cinderella team are used to refer to situations in which competitors achieve far greater success than would reasonably have been best expected

A 17th place team going to the finals are definitely on a Cinderella run. Nobody had them going this far. Cheering for them. Hope they win.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In sports, the terms Cinderella, "Cinderella story", and Cinderella team are used to refer to situations in which competitors achieve far greater success than would reasonably have been best expected

A 17th place team going to the finals are definitely on a Cinderella run. Nobody had them going this far. Cheering for them. Hope they win.
They underachieved in the regular season.

If someone said in September that Florida would be in the cup finals, most would not be surprised, as the last two teams that won the cup won the presidents trophy the year before. Florida is repeating that trend.

Now I had them not even making the playoffs in February, because of how mediocre their season had been. I didn’t think they’d be able to make it in, but I certainly thought they were a contender coming into the season.

What I didn’t think was that Bobrovsky would have a run like this.

They’re not some team that came out of nowhere to get the 8th seed and somehow make it into the finals now. They were one of the better teams in the regular season the last two seasons before this.

Reactions: heksagon

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
2012 was Kings-Devils I believe, so that would've ruled that out as a guaranteed 1st time winner. I think before 2018 you have to back to 2007 maybe, Ducks-Sens, to find a SCF with a guaranteed 1st time Cup.winner(could be wrong though).
This is correct.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
They underachieved in the regular season.

If someone said in September that Florida would be in the cup finals, most would not be surprised, as the last two teams that won the cup won the presidents trophy the year before. Florida is repeating that trend.

Now I had them not even making the playoffs in February, because of how mediocre their season had been. I didn’t think they’d be able to make it in, but I certainly thought they were a contender coming into the season.

What I didn’t think was that Bobrovsky would have a run like this.

They’re not some team that came out of nowhere to get the 8th seed and somehow make it into the finals now. They were one of the better teams in the regular season the last two seasons before this.
I'm talking going into the playoffs. Going into the playoffs nobody had them getting out of the 1st round. Certainly not in the finals. Its a cinderella run.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
Re the time off, Barkov is hurt, Lustar is hurt, it'll do them good. Bobrovsky had 3 weeks off before he started vs Boston, he's traditionally played well rested. That +his age, I see it as a win. Avs had 9 days off last year before the finals and won pretty easily.

Re: last finals where 2 teams haven't won, this is the 1st since 2018 Caps/Vegas. Before that:

'07-Ducks/Sens
'99-Stars/Sabres
'96-Avs/Panthers

don't feel like going back further lol too lazy.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Cassidy is exceptional... He gives Vegas an edge..

Florida will look to walk the line and will go over it as they know officials will not call everything.. A truly terrible final and i would actually rather see the Panthers win.. I really like the Vegas team but they have just not paid their dues yet which was why I was so happy when the Caps beat them... the Panthers have paid more than their share.. way more. They deserve this.

Reactions: teugen and Laus723

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
KNIGHTS: Team of DESTINY.

GKG!!!

Destiny huh? That cap overage in the playoffs doesnt help that "destiny" though, right?

If either team is a team of destiny, its the Panthers.

And enough crap about Cinderella team. While the Panthers were going through a transition year, a majority of the team is still high end talented players. They dealt with injuries throughout the season, along with a new coaching staff, and came on at the right time. This team is only going to get better over the next few seasons.

A Cinderella team is the Candiens from a few playoffs back.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Vegas is gonna make bobs life hell that's for sure.. Florida needs near perfect goaltending to win this series. And they need to be excellent on the pk. They can't afford to play run and gun against Vegas. That's when Vegas burns you

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Bob is on a historic heater. I think that pretty much erases all other stats. He sacres me. Like clowns and overly artistic balloon animals scare me.
I mean me too. But it's also subject to how he responds to 9 days off, the kind of chances Vegas can get dependent on how well they can penetrate Florida's defense, etc.

I was more taking issue with the idea that Vegas hasn't played such a good offense so far. Edmonton, to me, was a more potent, scary, and dangerous offense. With no disrespect to Florida. They get timely goals but I don't see their offense in general being as much of a challenge as Edmonton with McDrai as the main guns. The Edmonton series was very much about Vegas surviving that offense well enough to exploit the Oilers' flaws. The bigger worry I have going into these finals is beating Florida's defense enough to generate enough high danger chances to get pucks past Bobrovsky who has been on fire. If Bob loses focus and regresses to the mean, it might not be as much of a concern as it is going into Saturday, but I'm not banking on that.

5minutemajor

Mar 23, 2018
Very, very close series, but slight edge to Cats who feel like a team of destiny.

Panthers in 7. Of course Game 7 is on a Monday, because the NHL.
What is wrong with Monday? People have most time to watch on Mondays as there are less things going on. By the way, ever heard of Monday Night Football?

Also, it is ending in five games.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Great matchup, Florida look unstoppable but VGK have been legit all postseason.

Here's to a great cup finals!!

Reactions: Laus723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad