Speculation: Stammergeddon 2024: Is Stamkos going to re-sign with the Lightning?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Stamkos going to re-sign with the Lightning?

• Yes

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • No

Votes: 27 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
He had a good 5 games after being a ghost in many,.many runs. He was quite bad 5v5 and terrible defensively. He pit up.a lot of points and goals because of ghe power play, but he's not irreplaceable. I'd rather keep him, but there ate ways for JBB to use the current cap space, and potentially more, to improve the team without Stamkos getting g a 6-8 year deal and/or at a price JBB doesn't want to pay. There has been zero reliable evidence that Stamkos was willing to take 4-5, just a source saying that's what his agent said. They can say whatever they want to try and pressure JBB/try and gain extra leverage in the negotiation, but it's far from necessarily the truth. JBB will continue with his approach, and as most of the non witch burning townsfolk on here have continued to posit, waiting to see.how it plays out before condemn g anyone's decisions regarding the roster remains a good plan.
The terrible defensively part though was true of everyone, and had to do with the system change, had to be. Cirelli's numbers were down defensively which is his strength. I mean what were there...two forwards or something like that that had a positive +/- by the end of the season? And one of those was Kucherov, who gets too much criticism with defensive capability, but by no means would you expect him to top that category on the team (course he was scoring left and right).

Reactions: Meuracas

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If stamkos leaves what team will sign him there aren’t a lot of contenders out there that can pay him say 4 year 8 million per season?

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
Until these decisions are finalized and we know how the team looks, I won't be rushing to any judgements on his work this offseason.
As a non-witch-burning-townsperson I fully agree. However IF it turns out JBB let him go and he really would have signed for 4-5, it makes no sense at all no matter which way you look at it - and much less after all the talk of top priority and no cap space.

Reactions: The Gongshow

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
JBB makes this sound like he's offered Stamkos the best possible deal and he still wants to test free agency.
Can you blame him? This may well be the last contract Stamkos signs. He knows he has an offer from Tampa Bay, as odds are JBB holds the space he promised Stamkos until he signs someplace. As nice as Tampa Bay is, if he gets an offer for 3 or more million more than the Lightning offered him, he would be rather foolish not to accept it.

He has his rings, now it is time to get his well-deserved bling.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
As a non-witch-burning-townsperson I fully agree. However IF it turns out JBB let him go and he really would have signed for 4-5, it makes no sense at all no matter which way you look at it - and much less after all the talk of top priority and no cap space.
If Stamkos signs that cheap elsewhere or it's 100% confirmed that he would have signed for that in Tampa, and JBB hasn't realistically improved the team with additional trades/acquisitions, then yes, I will.have no problem questioning his continued vision and leadership with the organization.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
My only issue with replacing Stamkos with Guentzel is that we will be very left shot heavy. I’m not sure how you get around that problem with our powerplay. We need to add a right shot in addition to Guentzel.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He had a good 5 games after being a ghost in many,.many runs. He was quite bad 5v5 and terrible defensively. He pit up.a lot of points and goals because of ghe power play, but he's not irreplaceable. I'd rather keep him, but there ate ways for JBB to use the current cap space, and potentially more, to improve the team without Stamkos getting g a 6-8 year deal and/or at a price JBB doesn't want to pay. There has been zero reliable evidence that Stamkos was willing to take 4-5, just a source saying that's what his agent said. They can say whatever they want to try and pressure JBB/try and gain extra leverage in the negotiation, but it's far from necessarily the truth. JBB will continue with his approach, and as most of the non witch burning townsfolk on here have continued to posit, waiting to see.how it plays out before condemn g anyone's decisions regarding the roster remains a good plan.
Lebrun is the most trusted guy in the business, and the one guy who has had a track record of being right when it comes to TB, going all the way back to the MSL debacle. If you don't believe Lebrun, there's no reason to even pay attention.

My only issue with replacing Stamkos with Guentzel is that we will be very left shot heavy. I’m not sure how you get around that problem with our powerplay. We need to add a right shot.
It makes no sense why aren't trying to get both. We actually have cap space for the first time in recent memory. How are we going to get value anywhere close to Stamkos on a cheap deal?

Like, let's say Stamkos regresses to 60 points. At 5m? Steal.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Lebrun is the most trusted guy in the business, and the one guy who has had a track record of being right when it comes to TB, going all the way back to the MSL debacle. If you don't believe Lebrun, there's no reason to even pay attention.

It makes no sense why aren't trying to get both. We actually have cap space for the first time in recent memory. How are we going to get value anywhere close to Stamkos on a cheap deal?

Hopefully this is all grandstanding and they figure something out.

If not I don’t know what we could do. Laine? Lol

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
After yzerman left JBB been on thin ice in my opinion, but he really is not a fan favorite and I feel players don't really care too much for this bozo of a GM like seriously he is almost turning into milbury level in my eyes. IYKYK

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
If Stamkos signs that cheap elsewhere or it's 100% confirmed that he would have signed for that in Tampa, and JBB hasn't realistically improved the team with additional trades/acquisitions, then yes, I will.have no problem questioning his continued vision and leadership with the organization.
I think it goes a little further than that though. Again, we don’t know but if the reports on how he’s handled this are true, it’s a shitty way to run a business and a shitty way to treat the face of the franchise and just may come back to bite him - independent of who he gets as a replacement.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hopefully this is all grandstanding and they figure something out.

If not I don’t know what we could do. Laine? Lol

He would definitely be bringing in other pieces. I just don't know where you can get, worst case, 30 goals that cheap.

It really doesn't feel like grandstanding to me. I mean, he DID trade Sergachev, which seemed like the obvious move. And he made it seem like it wouldn't happen. I just don't see the point of acting like this is the end of the road and risking Stamkos feeling disrespected (which is happening) if the plan is still to get him back.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Put it this way if stamkos agent calls tomorrow and says he will sign a deal in Tampa if they accept 5.5 million per year for 4 years would you guys sign it and say that’s a good deal ?
If there's not a NMC, then yes. Look at what Tampa is paying Cirelli. Age aside, there is no indication Stamkos can't play another four years. Assumption would be the cap would increase again, more in line with pre Covid days rate wise.

The guy's leadership is invaluable. Remember this is a guy who will still willingly block a shot to put his team in a position to win. Not someone who would calculate in his head whether that's a good idea over avoiding an injury.

That fact shouldn't be discounted - there are plenty of guys with high end offensive capability that wouldn't be willing to do that and wouldn't risk it.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Kind of a weird statement considering Stamkos was the one carrying us that season
yes and next season kuch point and hedman will have to carry. hagel will be there too and if you add guentzel to that even if it's not as good of a powerplay it should still be good enough. losing any one player won't kill our pp

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
After yzerman left JBB been on thin ice in my opinion, but he really is not a fan favorite and I feel players don't really care too much for this bozo of a GM like seriously he is almost turning into milbury level in my eyes. IYKYK
Really wonder if Vinik provides any feedback or is just okay with whatever BriseBois feels is best.

Reactions: gn2007

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
If Stamkos leaves, it will not be the first nor then last time a future Hall of Fame Franchise player has left a team. If both sides cannot agree on a contract, then it is in the best interest of both sides that ties are cut and both sides move forward.
Whether we like it or not, hockey is a business, and the business is improving the roster to win the Stanley Cup. If management feels cutting ties with Stamkos is the way, then they will do that.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

Even if it is true, it doesn't change the possibility that JBB, who has always been a numbers guy, has certain amounts he wants to allot to certain players/positions. He also may simply no longer view Stamkos as an integral piece to the team's future success relative to others he may be looking to acquire. Regardless, until players are acquired and Stamkos signs, there's no reason to panic or act like JBB can't improve the team going ahead without Stamkos on a long term deal, Keeping Stamkos is just one possible path the team can take at this time to remain competitive.

Reactions: DMB06

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
For shits and giggles, I asked ChatGPT where it thought Stamkos would sign and the percent chances of each team acquiring him:

Lightning: 35%
Leafs: 20%
Avalanche: 10%
Knights: 10%
Rangers: 8%
Panthers: 5%
Bruins: 5%
Kraken: 3%
Devils: 2%
Blues: 2%

I would have thought the bruins have the highest chance besides the bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad