HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think they tried to land a big name UFA, but came up empty handed. Again, players shun this place and they have every reason to do so. I mean the language laws, the infrastructure, the taxes, the weather and the dwindling nightlife. The Sens signed Perron, so my guess is he might have wanted to sign here, but the asking price was more than the Habs wanted to give. Either way, he is older now and he is declining. Apart from Toronto, all the other canadian clubs are faced with the same issues as the Habs. They are unable to attract guys like Stamkos, Marchessault, etc. Monahan's new deal is atrocious and Toffoli @6 mil. is market value. The Habs didn't want to commit to any of these guys.

Next year, Marner, Draisatl, Tavares, Rantanen will be the highly coveted names. Will the Habs make a splash? Highly unlikely, because most of them will resign with their respective clubs. Anyways, 60 mil for a player that has yet to establish himself seems risky. 50 points is now worth 7.6 mil. average caphit. The Habs have now about 22 mil. tied up on 3 forwards, Still less than the Laffs. I bet Demidov gets something similar 2-3 yrs from now.

HuGo's plan is clear. Tank and build through the draft.
There were no big name UFAs

Unless you consider a 35 year old Steven Stamkos a big name.

But he wasn't signing in Montreal.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Free agency isn't the only way to improve your team, matter of fact, it's probably the least effective method these days.

Its a market for complimentary signings…not transformative ones.

I'm all for a complimentary signing to help our guys play meaningful games and help them along. I'm all for not watching this team keep getting hemmed into its own zone and run a higher risk of injury because teams keep taking the play to them night after night. I'm all for not looking at Demidov not to save us, but to help us. It's just disheartening to watch a team that needs help do nothing.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I'm not French-Canadian (I'm the son of Moroccan-French international students and spent the my childhood years between Montreal and Florida) and also lived in Quebec City (Laval University alumni). I don't particularly give a hoot one way or another about language laws (albeit do not like the recent decision against Concordia/McGill, etc), am married to a anglophone woman from Ontario and work in English for an American tech company.

The city has things to improve (just like any other cities) largely after COVID but it's not as tire as you're making it seem. I quite like Toronto as well but I still don't think it particularly compares with Montreal in terms of style and city culture, albeit Toronto is also a premier destination in North America. But we're getting really far off-topic here and I don't want this to continue because it doesn't really have anything to do with the Habs.
Again, I want to just emphasize the fact that players avoid this place as UFAs. Taxes, traffic, the media, the infrastructure, school (their kids must attend french institutions) and the weather, all come to play. You are a UFA. Where would you want to continue your career? NY, Vegas, Florida, California or boring old Montreal?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The point remains that going into next year with this roster is a complete failure and is f***ed up for guys like Suzuki and Caufield.
The roster isn't set July 1st, Hughes will continue to work the trade market because that's actually the best way for this team to make significant gains (along with the draft) to one day be in a position to have free agents WANT to join them at a discount to win.

But they're not there yet…and Suzuki/Caufield aren't dumb, also, Suzuki is the captain of this team, if he's going to start pouting 3 years into a rebuild, then we’ve totally misjudged his character.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Again, I want to just emphasize the fact that players avoid this place as UFAs. Taxes, traffic, the media, the infrastructure, school (their kids must attend french institutions) and the weather, all come to play. You are a UFA. Where would you want to continue your career? NY, Vegas, Florida, California or boring old Montreal?

Players don't particularly avoid Montreal as FAs. Look at the guys they've acquired post-lockout. Hint - it's a way better list than teams like Anaheim, San Jose, Florida, etc.

Largely it's been necessary because we couldn't develop for shit but the number of guys they've gotten is solid. A bunch of first liners/top-6 wingers and even a top-pairing defenseman.

Also, not sure how old you are or how often you go out but if Montreal is 'boring', so is 95% of the league. And you're also wrong about the kids having to go to French schools. That is false. They can send their kids to English schools through private schools or request a certificate of eligibility if they would want to send their kids to public school (which they wouldn't and they'd obtain the certificate with ease).

Reactions: phillytennis

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm all for a complimentary signing to help our guys play meaningful games and help them along. I'm all for not watching this team keep getting hemmed into its own zone and run a higher risk of injury because teams keep taking the play to them night after night. I'm all for not looking at Demidov not to save us, but to help us. It's just disheartening to watch a team that needs help do nothing.
Barring another injury filled season, I don't expect this team to pick top 5 again.

They're going into their 3rd full year, its not like we’re the Sens or Sabres.

Hughes has been GM of this team since January 18, 2022.

Not even 3 years…

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Barring another injury filled season, I don't expect this team to pick top 5 again.

They're going into their 3rd full year, its not like we’re the Sens or Sabres.

With the division we're in, I don't see how we don't finish bottom 5 with this exact roster.

RE Suzuki: The guy has said more than once that he's not looking to lose continuously. Arpon Basu also reported late last year that young leaders on the team started raising concern to management.

Hopefully it turns out okay but don't forget that the guy got his bag too. At some point, he's only human. Going into work knowing it's pretty much lost in advance isn't fun, even if you're a multi-millionaire captain. Patience isn't infinite and it shouldn't be.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
With the division we're in, I don't see how we don't finish bottom 5 with this exact roster.

RE Suzuki: The guy has said more than once that he's not looking to lose continuously. Arpon Basu also reported late last year that young leaders on the team started raising concern to management.

Hopefully it turns out okay but don't forget that the guy got his bag too. At some point, he's only human. Going into working knowing it's pretty much lost in advance isn't fun, even if you're a multi-millionaire captain. Patience isn't infinite and it shouldn't be.
I understand what you're saying regarding losing all of the time. I do get it. But Montreal should take a step next year.

It's easy to get discouraged that we're going into next year with a lot of the same roster. But this isn't a "core 4" Leafs type situation where everyone's in their prime and you know exactly what you're going to get. All of our core guys are still young and developing, taking steps. Suzuki is entering his prime now, but other than that we've got a ton of guys who are getting older, wiser, and more experienced.

If Dach can stay on the ice, we'll be a .500 hockey team. Even without him this year we lost a ton of 1 goal games, even via OT and the shootout. Some teams we have penciled in as good on paper in the division will take a step back.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Players don't particularly avoid Montreal as FAs. Look at the guys they've acquired post-lockout. Hint - it's a way better list than teams like Anaheim, San Jose, Florida, etc.

Largely it's been necessary because we couldn't develop for shit but the number of guys they've gotten is solid. A bunch of first liners/top-6 wingers and even a top-pairing defenseman.

Also, not sure how old you are or how often you go out but if Montreal is 'boring', so is 95% of the league. And you're also wrong about the kids having to go to French schools. That is false. They can send their kids to English schools through private schools or request a certificate of eligibility if they would want to send their kids to public school (which they wouldn't and they'd obtain the certificate with ease).
Again, the point I'm trying to make is that all that paperwork is cumbersome to go to an english school. A definate turndown for any UFA. Did you see Buffalo, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Calgary, Winnipeg, Edmonton, signing anyone of importance? Nashville did sign Stamkos, but it's the country capital. Quite popular these days. Anyways, you're missing the point. Montreal is not a premium destination and perhaps the Habs need to change their approach. BargainBin also got lucky. He had capspace, acquired some assets and signed a bunch of plugs to overinflated contracts. That's why Armia, Gallagher, Anderson and Dvo are still around. Enough said.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The roster isn't going to be identical to last year and you're discounting natural progression.
Again, Hughes has been GM of this team since January 2022.

It really hasn't been that long, it just feels that way.
Hopefully it turns out okay but don't forget that the guy got his bag too. At some point, he's only human. Going into working knowing it's pretty much lost in advance isn't fun, even if you're a multi-millionaire captain. Patience isn't infinite and it shouldn't be.
Of course, just don't think we’re quite there yet...of course, this year there has to be progression.

If we’re picking top 5 again next season, we’re either cursed with injuries or recipe is spoiled.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Dvorak, Armia, Allen, Petry, Evans & Savard all come off the books next year. That’s a lot of dough freed up to spend in free agency next summer. Our top D prospects will have a year of development under their belts as well.
Not only that, but the cream should start rising to the top in that regard as well. Some rookies will play well, others will not. Guys that are already there will show if they should be keepers or we're better off trying to move them. This all gets clearer after a year.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Again, the point I'm trying to make is that all that paperwork is cumbersome to go to an english school. A definate turndown for any UFA. Did you see Buffalo, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Calgary, Winnipeg, Edmonton, signing anyone of importance? Nashville did sign Stamkos, but it's the country capital. Quite popular these days. Anyways, you're missing the point. Montreal is not a premium destination and perhaps the Habs need to change their approach. BargainBin also got lucky. He had capspace, acquired some assets and signed a bunch of plugs to overinflated contracts. That's why Armia, Gallagher, Anderson and Dvo are still around. Enough said.

There's no paperwork dude. These guys aren't sending their children to a public school in Greenfield Park or Parc-Ex.

With all due respect, I question how old you are and your current experience with Montreal because it doesn't seem to match what's going on on the ground and I say this as a young man who's been living in the heart of the city for the last 8 years and grew up here.

Reactions: phillytennis

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The roster isn't going to be identical to last year and you're discounting natural progression.

Again, Hughes has been GM of this team since January 2022.

It really hasn't been that long, it just feels that way.

Of course, just don't think we’re quite there yet...of course, this year there has to be progression.

If we’re picking top 5 again next season, we’re either cursed with injuries or recipe is spoiled.

I'm discounting natural progression vis-a-vis our opponents (who were already leaps and bounds better than us) which is what ultimately matters. Fantastic if Suzuki gets 85 points next or Caufield scores 38 but if we're still watching Boston/Florida/Tampa kick ass, Toronto do their regular thing in the regular season and Ottawa improves with a better goalie, it doesn't ultimately matter.

I get what you're saying, I honestly do, and that Hughes has been GM since 2022 doesn't do much for me. He also started off with Suzuki/Caufield/Guhle and a 1st overall on the way. He's done a good job so far but I'm going to a call a spade a spade. If he doesn't make a significant trade, we're already cooked for next season. Forget even sniffing a playoff spot in March-April. We're marks in the East.

Reactions: Archijerej and 417

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

There next to nothing for a player to do in this situation because it's super straight forward. Add the fact the Montreal Canadiens treat their players as royalty and pretty much take care of everything a player need to settle in the city.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm discounting natural progression vis-a-vis our opponents (who were already leaps and bounds better than us) which is what ultimately matters. Fantastic if Suzuki gets 85 points next or Caufield scores 38 but if we're still watching Boston/Florida/Tampa kick ass, Toronto do their regular thing in the regular season and Ottawa improves with a better goalie, it doesn't ultimately matter.
Personally I don't think anyone in our division got better today, alot of signings that I equate to changing 4 quarters for 1 dollar.

Either way. We just need to start closing the gap, don't have to make it all up in one off-season.

I get what you're saying, I honestly do, and that Hughes has been GM since 2022 doesn't do much for me. He also started off with Suzuki/Caufield/Guhle and a 1st overall on the way. He's done a good job so far but I'm going to a call a spade a spade. If he doesn't make a significant trade, we're already cooked for next season. Forget even sniffing a playoff spot in March-April. We're marks in the East.
He took over a team with a bunch of anchors left over by the previous administration.

I don't even really think he's done much “building”, he's had to do much more destruction.

To me, the real work and the real measure of Hughes will start next off-season, that's when he can really begin to put his mark on this team.

But I must say, he's doing an incredible job of laying a strong foundation.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Personally I don't think anyone in our division got better today, alot of signings that I equate to changing 4 quarters for 1 dollar.

Either way. We just need to start closing the gap, don't have to make it all up in one off-season.

He took over a team with a bunch of anchors left over by the previous administration.

I don't even really think he's done much “building”, he's had to do much more destruction.

To me, the real work and the real measure of Hughes will start next off-season, that's when he can really begin to put his mark on this team.

But I must say, he's doing an incredible job of laying a strong foundation.

I guess we'll just have to see.

Hopefully everyone makes me eat crow by next summer but my current position is that we won't be closing any sort of gap this upcoming season (as things stand) and it's going to be a lost season. I pray I'm wrong.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Dvorak, Armia, Allen, Petry, Evans & Savard all come off the books next year. That’s a lot of dough freed up to spend in free agency next summer. Our top D prospects will have a year of development under their belts as well.
Not to mention, there will only be 1 year remaining on Price contract.

THAT’s the big ticket

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Jesus relax Dude.
We are not contending for a playoff spot period end of story. We are not even interested in what other teams may or may not be doing.
What we are doing is assessing what we currently have on hand. I'm sure we will set some internal goals and the players will all say they are pushing for the playoffs just like last year. The reality is there are far too many holes on this club for one significant trade to take us over the top.
I've already suggested what a successful season would look like and that would be a neutral GF/GA differential.
That would be a huge step IMO.
Consider last year there were teams at -12 still in the mix going into the TDL.
The significant trade you ask for is a next year thing which was already talked about by management if you've paid attention.

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Not only that, but the cream should start rising to the top in that regard as well. Some rookies will play well, others will not. Guys that are already there will show if they should be keepers or we're better off trying to move them. This all gets clearer after a year.
For sure. Also wouldn’t surprise me if one of Gallagher or Anderson are bought out next summer as well.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
There will also be 7 RFAs and I don't think they will all be kept (RHP/Harris/Primeau in the NHL, the rest in the AHL and you kinda hope they will show they are NHLers this year or not...).

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
There will also be 7 RFAs and I don't think they will all be kept (RHP/Harris/Primeau in the NHL, the rest in the AHL and you kinda hope they will show they are NHLers this year or not...).

Right now I’d prolly Let RHP go and trade Harris if our other D step up this year. Primeau if it’s cheap I’d keep as a backup until Fowler is ready in 2/3 years.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I'd be way more interested in giving Reinbacher and Demidov a better team to come to than another top-5 pick personally.

You wouldn't have caught me talking this strongly in the last three seasons but it's time. Three top-5 picks + Suzuki/Caufield/Guhle should have you revving to do a little more.

The thing I'm really dreading is hearing talk that Suzuki and Caufield are pissed off and jaded during another losing season. That's a nightmare scenario and we already got a small snippet of that late last year. I don't want it to grow.
I think they are trying to build a cup contending team here not a scrape into the playoffs team. It looks that way to me anyways. I'll take that over, "we made the playoffs" and out for 10 yrs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad