HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Habs need Laine
Why not ?
Take a flyer
When is he able to be talked to

And a goalie
I was thinking something like Barron for Tomasino or Pärssinen.

If you start including Askarov, the value goes a lot higher.

I think the big decision Montreal needs to make is that if they actually want to make a big move using the surplus they have on D, they'll probably have to trade Guhle. The other guys simply don't have much value. Well Matheson could in some situations, but he's a vet so it's a little different.

Like you could get Tomasino for Barron or Harris or whatever, but if we're talking about guys like Necas, Zegras, or some kind of Askarov+ package, Guhle would surely be the guy going the other way. Not saying it's the right move, but it's the only move if you want to pull off a trade like that.

Reactions: Expos94

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
There are not 32 legit number goalies in the league, even if they are starters for a team.
Monty has improved a lot but I still don't consider him a legit #1, more of a 1B...
either way, our goaltending is fine for now, we need top 6 forwards and bottom 6 with more size imo.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
This is with 99% certainty the real reason. KH isn't dumb, he knows we have a logjam but he's also not going to just give players away
then it is very hard to have great development then, if there is such a log jam

oh well, at least I don't have season tickets. those ones will suffer again
KH is done till spring 2026, till contracts expire.
keep all the picks and this team will compete in 2027 and on

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
then it is very hard to have great development then, if there is such a log jam

oh well, at least I don't have season tickets. those ones will suffer again
KH is done till spring 2026, till contracts expire.
keep all the picks and this team will compete in 2027 and on
I mean we moved off Kovacevic just a few hours ago, maybe give it a little more time? The season doesn't even start for another 3.5 months

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think Newhook would be available for what HuGo as an upgrade, whether that's Laine, Zegras, Necas, McGroarty, etc...

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I was thinking something like Barron for Tomasino or Pärssinen.

If you start including Askarov, the value goes a lot higher.

I think the big decision Montreal needs to make is that if they actually want to make a big move using the surplus they have on D, they'll probably have to trade Guhle. The other guys simply don't have much value. Well Matheson could in some situations, but he's a vet so it's a little different.

Like you could get Tomasino for Barron or Harris or whatever, but if we're talking about guys like Necas, Zegras, or some kind of Askarov+ package, Guhle would surely be the guy going the other way. Not saying it's the right move, but it's the only move if you want to pull off a trade like that.

They will not have to trade Guhle, that is utter nonsense.....or absolute garbage if you dare :naughty:

We have drafted and traded for a core that has championship potential written all over it. There is no need to make a big move. We just need to switch redundant complimentary/peripheral assets for assets of similar value that fill positional needs in the organization or picks that we can accrue to potentially trade for specific needs or draft for them.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think Newhook would be available for what HuGo as an upgrade, whether that's Laine, Zegras, Necas, McGroarty, etc...

I don't see Hughes doing that as it would run counter to his mantra of building trust and relationships and I think you may be under estimating Newhhook's potential as he absolutely took a big step forward last season and may do so again especially if he can stay healthy.

It is difficult to imagine Laine being added as he has always had character issues and is not the type of player that Hughes typically targets. McGroarty may very well never be as good as Newhook so I would hardly consider a below average skater like him as someone that Hughes would consider to be an upgrade in this scenario.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't see Hughes doing that as it would run counter to his mantra of building trust and relationships and I think you may be under estimating Newhhook's potential as he absolutely took a big step forward last season and may do so again especially if he can stay healthy.

It is difficult to imagine Laine being added as he has always had character issues and is not the type of player that Hughes typically targets. McGroarty may very well never be as good as Newhook so I would hardly consider a below average skater like him as someone that Hughes would consider to be an upgrade in this scenario.

I value Newhook. We just may need one more big player to complete the top 6...

But for sure Laine or McGroarty may. It be that player. And we may be able to get that piece without giving up Newhook.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

But for sure Laine or McGroarty may. It be that player. And we may be able to get that piece without giving up Newhook.
That is your opinion and I respect that but imo we do not need to force anything as we have in the system

Suzuki
Demidov
Slafkovsky
Caufield
Dach
Hage
Newhook
Roy
Beck
Kapanen
Mesar
Xhekaj
Tuch
Farrell
Koivu
Heineman

That is already 16 forwards with clear NHL potential and over half of them have either already proven to be top six NHL forwards or have the potential to become one.

We are not in a position to panic or force anything. If Hughes can add a forward who fits the timeline and structure of the team he will do so as you can never have enough good players and I agree with you that upgrading when possible is always a great idea. We just don't know what we have with some of these kids like Roy and Hage as they have ppg potential with high floors. Maybe Mesar finally takes off or Newhook takes a big step in his first full season with the team (free of major injury). Hughes has already stated that he is very wary of grabbing a player for the sake of grabbing him only to block ice time from these types of players. It should also be noted that Armia was absolutely outstanding in the back half and Dvorak looked very good upon returning so I am not even sure that we need any help and it may be very difficult to actually upgrade on these players without paying an unreasonable and unnecessary price.

As you know anything can happen on the injury front or perhaps a player that Hughes really covets becomes available but I do not believe that has actually happened yet and we will have to wait and see how the injury situation plays out, both at home and abroad.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
There are not 32 legit number goalies in the league, even if they are starters for a team.
Monty has improved a lot but I still don't consider him a legit #1, more of a 1B...
either way, our goaltending is fine for now, we need top 6 forwards and bottom 6 with more size imo.

will be very interesting to see how he plays this year... org. gave him a vote of confidence (both in the 3 yr extension and in trading away Allen). It's his opportunity to seize it and show he can be a 1A.

Bottom-tier starter level play this year is what he's being paid to be... I'm expecting him to show at a mid-tier level, but I bet he's focused on showing he can be a top-tier goalie. Hope he proves himself right!

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

What is it about McGroarty that gives you confidence he will be as good, let alone better, than Newhook?

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad