HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I think they are trying to build a cup contending team here not a scrape into the playoffs team. It looks that way to me anyways. I'll take that over, "we made the playoffs" and out for 10 yrs.

You don't go from basement to contender overnight. Progress should be made gradually and continuously and after 3 years at the bottom, I think the organization should be actively working to ensure that they're not out of the picture by game 25. I swear, too many posters here have like two or three talking points and seem unable to hold multiple ideas at once.

I've been hit with that same strawman all day.

Reactions: Archijerej

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
You don't go from basement to contender overnight. Progress should be made gradually and continuously and after 3 years at the bottom, I think the organization should be actively working to ensure that they're not out of the picture by game 25. I swear, too many posters here have like two or three talking points and seem unable to hold multiple ideas at once.

Patience grasshopper.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018

Not to discourage you, but it's been a top 10 pick 5 times in the past 8 years (since 2016) :laugh:

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
They will not have to trade Guhle, that is utter nonsense.....or absolute garbage if you dare :naughty:

We have drafted and traded for a core that has championship potential written all over it. There is no need to make a big move. We just need to switch redundant complimentary/peripheral assets for assets of similar value that fill positional needs in the organization or picks that we can accrue to potentially trade for specific needs or draft for them.
All I said was that they will have to trade Guhle IF they want to make a big move using the surplus they have on D. Of course they can opt to not do that, and instead just swap guys like Harris or Barron for equivalent middling players like for example Tomasino. But you are not going to acquire another difference maker upfront by doing that (if that's even needed, which you can have a debate about).

It kind of reminds me of when Vancouver Canucks had Schneider and Luongo (surplus on net). Schneider was the goalie of the future and Luongo was aging and had a rough contract. Everybody thought they would just dump Luongo somewhere, but out of blue they shocked everyone and decided to trade Schneider instead for a quality asset (high pick that became Horvat).

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Laine would fit the teams strategy well. We got cap space to use before Dach and others need raises. 2 year term on Laine fits. Could be a playoff team in year two and keep Laine or flip him for more GM futures. Helps our PP. Get er done

He is a world class bum and a poor teammate....exactly what Hughes does not want.

Maybe if Hughes has inside information that Laine has really turned it around but until then I don't think he is an option at all.

Reactions: mdk

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Sounds like Shane Pinto might be asking for a trade. He'd be a strong candidate for another Dach/Newhook type move for us IMO.

I like Pinto but I have serious doubts that Ottawa would deal him to us and even if they considered it I suspect they would ask for a ridiculous return that Hughes would say no to.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I like Pinto but I have serious doubts that Ottawa would deal him to us and even if they considered it I suspect they would ask for a ridiculous return that Hughes would say no to.
The sens have made a few inside the division trade before, it might still be possible. They're going to look for a good return though, that much is for sure. Probably a hockey trade too, they won't go only for picks and prospects.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

You don’t think we progresed last year?

Reactions: Andrei79

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Not nearly enough physicality for the Senators who rely too much on Brady Tkachuk to do hitting. David Perron will help but surely, they would take someone ala Xhekaj. I would consider Xhekaj vs Pinto for sure. With 1.6M cap left, its gonna for them to manage

1719896296329.png

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I was thinking something like Barron for Tomasino or Pärssinen.

If you start including Askarov, the value goes a lot higher.

I think the big decision Montreal needs to make is that if they actually want to make a big move using the surplus they have on D, they'll probably have to trade Guhle. The other guys simply don't have much value. Well Matheson could in some situations, but he's a vet so it's a little different.

Like you could get Tomasino for Barron or Harris or whatever, but if we're talking about guys like Necas, Zegras, or some kind of Askarov+ package, Guhle would surely be the guy going the other way. Not saying it's the right move, but it's the only move if you want to pull off a trade like that.
What about a hockey trade package (no picks) of Xhekaj, Mesar and Farrell for Necas?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad