Speculation: Stammergeddon 2024: Is Stamkos going to re-sign with the Lightning?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Stamkos going to re-sign with the Lightning?

• Yes

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • No

Votes: 27 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
To be fair he was the only guy that looked like he wasn't going through the motions in that series. The question is whether you trust him to be that guy again with a contract in his back pocket.
To be even fairer, Barkov shutdown every star he played against. So I mean, Kucherov was held goalless, but so were McDavid and Pastrnak. I don't think we were going through the motions. I think we got beat by a better team and the heir apparent to Patrice Bergeron.

Stamkos performed well in 5 games, but his playoff history is spotty at best.

I would still like to bring him back because of the rumored price tag. But the more I see this talk about him being a playoff performer, the more I question people's memories. He's been very good in one long run (SCF loss), and good in the odd series other than that.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
As July 1st looms, mere minutes away, I plead you all clutch your 91 jerseys, pray to your hockey gods and think back to the selection of 08, 60 goals in the Peg, the dawning of the C, 1 shift, 1 minute, 1 goal in the bubble, leading our team and house to glory, 2 fold.

12 hours till noon. Hang our banners high and hope one more will soon be achieved as 91 ascends Tampa glory as a bolt for life.

May a contract soon unfold and please all. God help us all.
Amen

I think it's gonna happen. I think JFBB wants one more move and then the offer to Stamkos will move too

Reactions: Meuracas

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I think it's more the dollar amount of the offer people are shocked at. Especially since it seems like a take it or leave it. Seems kinda clowny.
Well no, say what you will about 3m, but they offered him term through his age 42 season. Thats a HUGE commitment for a 34 year old, and I can completely understand why it was done. That said, I still don't like the way it has been handled so far, but also, if they want to remain competitive hard decisions have to be made at some point.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Well no, say what you will about 3m, but they offered him term through his age 42 season. Thats a HUGE commitment for a 34 year old, and I can completely understand why it was done. That said, I still don't like the way it has been handled so far, but also, if they want to remain competitive hard decisions have to be made at some point.
What I read from Freeman was 3x5

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Im a Habs fan but just a big fan of the league in general as I watch a ton of hockey.

I know I don’t have the same emotional attachment to Stammer as you guys, but I was in Florida last winter, saw 3 games live and man I thought Stamkos was horrendous 5 on 5.

I think you guys look much better right now with JG.

Sure I’d bring him back on a cheap deal but he might not be your best option with the cap remaining.

I like the work JBB’s done to give Vasi, Hedman, Kuch and Point another shot at contending.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Im a Habs fan but just a big fan of the league in general as I watch a ton of hockey.

I know I don’t have the same emotional attachment to Stammer as you guys, but I was in Florida last winter, saw 3 games live and man I thought Stamkos was horrendous 5 on 5.

I think you guys look much better right now with JG.

Sure I’d bring him back on a cheap deal but he might not be your best option with the cap remaining.

I like the work JBB’s done to give Vasi, Hedman, Kuch and Point another shot at contending.
You won't find many that disagree. He is basically an elite powerplay tool at this point and thats awesome, still had 40, but comparing the two side by side we're better with Guentzel.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Think JBB just doesn't want to get where the Penguins currently are.
Like, Crosby and Malkin are still great and I get what you're saying, but people are quick to look at the age of Stamkos and go "yeah they're all getting old" but really, Kuch is 31, Point/Hagel/Cirelli/Cernak etc are all in 20s still. They'll need to figure out the future on the blueline after MCD/Heddy, but they're... in drastically better shape for the future than people give them credit for.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
*sees all these vultures coming out to try and steal my 91*

6629b06a-338c-4774-9ee5-dd4e1ebe92e2_text.gif

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
8 years is no longer an option, right?

Seems if that was a large part of our pitch, Stamkos is all but gone. Granted, 7 is obviously a large commitment at his age as well.

I'd still love to see us move Sheary, whatever it costs, and bring back Stamkos to fill out the top 6. I don't know where we're getting more value.

NJBolt

May 1, 2024
Here's the thing....if Stamkos could guarantee 30-40 goals a year for 2 years on the PP....$10 million a year would be totally worth it for some teams with the money...say Utah.

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
TBF the contract he signs is likely not the contract he would sign with us. Home discount is out of the window here
This, if he’s pushed out and will sign with some other team then he might as well get paid and mail it.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
As long as JBB doesn't go window shopping, this could be good for us.

If he can't find 10m+ elsewhere....maybe he can't find 9m. Maybe he can't find 8m.

Maybe he comes back to us and signs for 4mx7years

I'm still holding out hope, but honestly I think this was all in the cards for JBB and he's not budging. Probably

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad