SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Nice win. Now just 2 games below .500 and tied with Guelph for 7th in the conference although they must hold the tiebreaker.

Will be nice to see what this team looks like when all the injured players are back healthy.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Nice win. Now just 2 games below .500 and tied with Guelph for 7th in the conference although they must hold the tiebreaker.

Will be nice to see what this team looks like when all the injured players are back healthy.
Allard coming back will be massive and finally give us 3 lines that can consistently contribute on offense, at least in my opinion.

The Flint game will be key, as we could pass them in the standings with a win. They have been in free fall after their GM didn't support a veteran team that was built to win this year.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I hope you are right about Allard. I am high on him too, but worry that the sophomore slump might sting him as well. I can imagine how tough it would be trying to get back to game form after so much time off.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
“They were good tonight,” Lazary said. “It’s impressive what John Dean and that staff is doing and how hard those guys play.”

Lazary went on to say he felt Dean “is coach of the year at this point.”

Hmmm....how about we wait and see if we even make the playoffs. Not sure "coach of the year" would be awarded to a team that misses the post season. This team has so far underachieved this season IMO, but interesting to hear that from someone in the league.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
When is Allard expected back? That should be a nice boost

Was impressed with Fantino when you guys played in Sudbury

Reactions: Houndzfan

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
"Coach of the year" is definitely a stretch but may be an indication of how Lazary views the depth/experience of our roster?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Hmmm....how about we wait and see if we even make the playoffs. Not sure "coach of the year" would be awarded to a team that misses the post season. This team has so far underachieved this season IMO, but interesting to hear that from someone in the league.

I think Dean is doing a fine job with developing our young players, but this team was expected to be about .500 (by me anyways) and that's where they are.

I think you can only consider him if the team moves into a top 5 seed, which is feasible, but also pretty unlikely.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Allard coming back will be massive and finally give us 3 lines that can consistently contribute on offense, at least in my opinion.

The Flint game will be key, as we could pass them in the standings with a win. They have been in free fall after their GM didn't support a veteran team that was built to win this year.
Except they wouldn’t pass them in the standings. They’d be tied on points with the Soo losing all the tie-breakers like games played, wins, head to head. Which I’m sure you know. Sometimes I wonder if you’re trying to gaslight yourself.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I think Dean is doing a fine job with developing our young players, but this team was expected to be about .500 (by me anyways) and that's where they are.

I think you can only consider him if the team moves into a top 5 seed, which is feasible, but also pretty unlikely.
I think Taylor is doing wonderfully. Dean, on the other hand, has not been as impressive. Maybe they are starting to turn a corner here. Let's see if they can go on a little run and actually get to .500.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I think Taylor is doing wonderfully. Dean, on the other hand, has not been as impressive. Maybe they are starting to turn a corner here. Let's see if they can go on a little run and actually get to .500.
They would be well in excess of .500 if they had a bit more luck in overtime and shootouts, which studies have shown are mostly luck and will regress back to the mean.

On the other hand, our goal differential is weak and suggests substantial luck in the other direction. It's a very difficult team to evaluate, but that defensive group is looking like the class of the league for the next 2 years.

Except they wouldn’t pass them in the standings. They’d be tied on points with the Soo losing all the tie-breakers like games played, wins, head to head. Which I’m sure you know. Sometimes I wonder if you’re trying to gaslight yourself.
I don't think tiebreakers are very relevant with this many games left in the season, but to each their own. Good luck to your team tonight, it should be a good one.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
They would be well in excess of .500 if they had a bit more luck in overtime and shootouts, which studies have shown are mostly luck and will regress back to the mean.

On the other hand, our goal differential is weak and suggests substantial luck in the other direction. It's a very difficult team to evaluate, but that defensive group is looking like the class of the league for the next 2 years.

I don't think tiebreakers are very relevant with this many games left in the season, but to each their own. Good luck to your team tonight, it should be a good one.
Apparently you don’t think any type of facts are relevant when discussing the Greyhounds. Why not just say “with a win tonight the Greyhounds will move past Windsor into 1st place in the Conference”? There’s the exact same chance that happens tonight as there is of them moving past Flint in the standings. I would love to see the studies showing OT wins are “mostly” luck too. Were those studies conducted by Sault Ste Marie’s famed Fischhaber Research Facility?

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I'd personally love if Fischhaber would share these studies they just name dropped lol.
I'd imagine they're in the same journal as all the anti-vaxx studies I'm being gaslighted about on social media. ;)

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

London and NB will quite likely have a better D than SSM to start next season. And Barrie if they keep 2-OAs as well. In season; Guelph, OS, & KGN could all get to top six best D in the league imo.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Apparently you don’t think any type of facts are relevant when discussing the Greyhounds. Why not just say “with a win tonight the Greyhounds will move past Windsor into 1st place in the Conference”? There’s the exact same chance that happens tonight as there is of them moving past Flint in the standings. I would love to see the studies showing OT wins are “mostly” luck too. Were those studies conducted by Sault Ste Marie’s famed Fischhaber Research Facility?
Who pissed in your cornflakes?

I'm sorry that I didn't research tiebreak protocols with 27 games left to play. If this were the last game of the season then it would matter. You're correct about that, thank you doing the research.

Luck is a bigger factor in hockey than it is in most other sports. Specifically in overtime and shootouts, it's not a skill that carries over very well from year to year or even game to game. There's always a ton of outliers. That's obvious from a common sense perspective, but it's also borne out in the statistics.

Look at the 4 last place teams in the NHL and their overtime records for some perspective. Overall team skill mostly evaporates after 60 minutes and a ton of luck is involved. That's why you see crazy stuff like this:

Montreal: 7-3
Columbus: 4-2
Anaheim: 8-5
Chicago: 4-4

Here's some more in depth reading if you want to expand your knowledge:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I'm sorry that I didn't research tiebreak protocols with 27 games left to play. If this were the last game of the season then it would matter. You're correct about that, thank you doing the research.

Luck is a bigger factor in hockey than it is in most other sports. Specifically in overtime and shootouts, it's not a skill that carries over very well from year to year or even game to game. There's always a ton of outliers. That's obvious from a common sense perspective, but it's also borne out in the statistics.
The results from 3 vs 3 OT has very little to do with luck, especially when compared to outdoor sports where poor weather can eliminate skill.
I would expect Barrie with Clarke-Vierling-Cardwell to beat SSM 3/4 of the time, and tied after 5 min. 75% of the remaining quarter.
Look at the 4 last place teams in the NHL and their overtime records for some perspective. Overall team skill mostly evaporates after 60 minutes and a ton of luck is involved. That's why you see crazy stuff like this:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
London and NB will quite likely have a better D than SSM to start next season. And Barrie if they keep 2-OAs as well. In season; Guelph, OS, & KGN could all get to top six best D in the league imo.
Ty Nelson is going to be an absolute beast next year, but North Bay doesn't have a particularly elite top 4 going forward. I guess it depends on what you expect from Mathurin when he returns from injury.

London has really solid depth and can match the Greyhounds young tandem of Virgilio and Gibson with Dickinson and Bonk. I don't think they have anyone who will be nearly as good as Kudryavtsev next year, but I can buy that they will be in contention for best defense.

I'm not really sure what makes you so high on Kingston. They have Quinton Burns and a smattering of bottom pairing guys. Who do you see as their top 4 D next year?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

Actually what I’m capable of doing is adding by two’s. I have been for quite some time now. Probably since I was like five years old. I’m able to see that Flint at 41pts and the Soo at 39pts with two points available for win cannot “PASS” Flint in the standings with a win. I can also just look and see that the Soo has played more games than Flint, has 5 less wins than Flint and I know at this point the Greyhounds are 0-5 vs Flint this year. Now perhaps in may take you the better part of a day to divulge these insights but it took me like a second and a half. As far as 3 on 3? Ever have the thought a team could have BMB, Mintyukov and Lombardi killing it in OT but the rest of the team is mediocre so their overall record sucks? It’s called depth.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Ty Nelson is going to be an absolute beast next year, but North Bay doesn't have a particularly elite top 4 going forward. I guess it depends on what you expect from Mathurin when he returns from injury.
I think Lukin, Nelson, Mathurin, Chirstopolous will be as good as any; and Kennedy & Turley will be good eventually too. Hislop is an option as well. Essentially 7 D can return from a top contender.
London has really solid depth and can match the Greyhounds young tandem of Virgilio and Gibson with Dickinson and Bonk. I don't think they have anyone who will be nearly as good as Kudryavtsev next year, but I can buy that they will be in contention for best defense.
George might be an all-star before he graduates.
I'm not really sure what makes you so high on Kingston. They have Quinton Burns and a smattering of bottom pairing guys. Who do you see as their top 4 D next year?
A bit early to say for sure. But things can change fast in season.
I thought Barrie had a mediocre D before the deadline. Right now Clarke, Punnett, Hache, Akey, Cholach might be the best group of 5 D.
Sarnia added Kyrou & Del Mastro.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I think Lukin, Nelson, Mathurin, Chirstopolous will be as good as any; and Kennedy & Turley will be good eventually too. Hislop is an option as well. Essentially 7 D can return from a top contender.

George might be an all-star before he graduates.

A bit early to say for sure. But things can change fast in season.
I thought Barrie had a mediocre D before the deadline. Right now Clarke, Punnett, Hache, Akey, Cholach might be the best group of 5 D.
Sarnia added Kyrou & Del Mastro.
Kudryavtsev is good. Much better than I thought he was gonna be. Virgilio is good too but Virgilio and Gibson do not even come close to equaling Bonk and Dickinson. Then you add in George and Edward? Is it just me or is there a lot of talent in the ‘06 D class in the O?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Kudryavtsev is good. Much better than I thought he was gonna be. Virgilio is good too but Virgilio and Gibson do not even come close to equaling Bonk and Dickinson. Then you add in George and Edward? Is it just me or is there a lot of talent in the ‘06 D class in the O?
Virgilio and Dickinson were ranked about the same going into the draft and have performed very well. It's a true tossup between those two for sure, as they are both going to be special players.

Bonk is having a great second season, but I think it's disingenuous to suggest that Gibson 'doesn't even come close' to being as good. He's having one of the finest rookie seasons I have seen from a Greyhound and has parlayed that into a 2nd-3rd round projection in the NHL draft. It's been fun to watch him develop.

Reactions: 93MemCup

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Virgilio and Dickinson were ranked about the same going into the draft and have performed very well. It's a true tossup between those two for sure, as they are both going to be special players.

Bonk is having a great second season, but I think it's disingenuous to suggest that Gibson 'doesn't even come close' to being as good. He's having one of the finest rookie seasons I have seen from a Greyhound and has parlayed that into a 2nd-3rd round projection in the NHL draft. It's been fun to watch him develop.
I didn't see any scouting reports or mock drafts that did not have Dickinson ranked as the #1 D-man. Best 16 yr old D-man that I've seen come out of London. That's not to take anything away from Virgillio who seems to be enjoying a fine rookie season. I have also been impressed with Parekh out of Saginaw, and the kid on Oshawa. I'm sure there are other rookie D-men who deserve mention that I haven't seen a lot of.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Don't forget Mews and Cristoforo.

I agree, it's been quite some time since I've been this excited about the crop of 16 yo d men.

Reactions: nelli27

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I didn't see any scouting reports or mock drafts that did not have Dickinson ranked as the #1 D-man. Best 16 yr old D-man that I've seen come out of London. That's not to take anything away from Virgillio who seems to be enjoying a fine rookie season. I have also been impressed with Parekh out of Saginaw, and the kid on Oshawa. I'm sure there are other rookie D-men who deserve mention that I haven't seen a lot of.
I'm not going to pretend that I know who is better based on seeing Dickinson only twice, but Virgilio was a consensus top 10 player going into the draft. One publication mentioned him as a possible top 5 had he not been committed to Michigan. You are correct that Dickinson was often mentioned as being the top defenseman, but obviously not by a huge margin.

I think Henry Mews might be the top defenseman taken if we had a redraft. He's been amazing for a rookie.

Reactions: nelli27

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
I'm not going to pretend that I know who is better based on seeing Dickinson only twice, but Virgilio was a consensus top 10 player going into the draft. One publication mentioned him as a possible top 5 had he not been committed to Michigan. You are correct that Dickinson was often mentioned as being the top defenseman, but obviously not by a huge margin.

I think Henry Mews might be the top defenseman taken if we had a redraft. He's been amazing for a rookie.
As a Spits fan, I’ve seen a lot of Saggy this year and Parekh has been outstanding at both ends and is running the PP from what I’ve seen. Not sure anyone other 16 yo D has been better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad