SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
How much change of scenery does an 18 year old 8th round pick and an 18 year old 9th round pick need? Especially after missing a season due to covid? I still don't really get it. The best I can come up with on the Greyhounds side is that we needed more of a trigger man which by all accounts Fantino is. Still seems a bit strange though.

Reactions: DWI Dale

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
it's a weighted lottery. last place team has a 40% chance of 1st pick. not 25%

and the first pick will walk in and produce. probably the second as well.

you have your views, everyone else has theirs.
That only serves to illustrate my point even more.

This team isn't going to come in last or even second last, even if they do sell off. Niagara has that locked up and Erie is close to doing the same. The Greyhounds are in line for the #8 pick right now. Trading a couple of veterans will only do so much.

How can anyone suggest that harming the development of every player on the roster is worth a 10% chance at a pick? It's patently absurd.

Last edited:
Reactions: 93MemCup

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
4th pick sounds great! but there's a pretty good chance we could end up with 3rd, 2nd or 1st.

and we didn't have to waste any future assets just to put playoff revenues in Lukenda's pocket.

"patently absurd" is a great way to describe Fischhaber's prognostications the last 5 seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Houndzfan20

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
“He’s got a great shot, good speed, good skill,” Raftis said of the 18 -year-old. “He’s got a motor and can play aggressively. At times, it just hasn’t translated consistently. You look back at his playoff run with them against Flint (last spring), he was excellent at that point, but this season it just hasn’t translated for whatever reason. We’re hopeful that the change of scenery for him is going to be able to bring those talents to light.”

Reactions: Millpond

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
“He’s got a great shot, good speed, good skill,” Raftis said of the 18 -year-old. “He’s got a motor and can play aggressively. At times, it just hasn’t translated consistently. You look back at his playoff run with them against Flint (last spring), he was excellent at that point, but this season it just hasn’t translated for whatever reason. We’re hopeful that the change of scenery for him is going to be able to bring those talents to light.”
Simple rhetoric.
I could copy and paste a similar, if not almost identical narrative discussing how good of a skater and how hard of a worker Harrison Ballard was………

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
I would like management to be forthcoming with their direction. It would be interesting to see exactly where their mind is or what is driving their moves (lack of). At least with some actual clarity, we could stop critiquing one another’s visions and just focus on criticizing the actual plan!!

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I would like management to be forthcoming with their direction. It would be interesting to see exactly where their mind is or what is driving their moves (lack of). At least with some actual clarity, we could stop critiquing one another’s visions and just focus on criticizing the actual plan!!
Why do you want to take away all our fun?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Simple rhetoric.
I could copy and paste a similar, if not almost identical narrative discussing how good of a skater and how hard of a worker Harrison Ballard was………
He is a good skater, but sometimes things just don't work out. They clearly see something in Fantino and didn't give up much, so let's give it a chance.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
See it difficult for Raftis to make any moves. Have to be realistic and teams who are
loading up to make a run. Who would they really want from the hounds.
other then a few names, whom will all be back next season, i don't see a great demand.
don't see raftis trading : bryce McConnel barker, Schenkel, or Andrew Gibson, or Kudraytsev.
( 4 key returnees ) only 4 guys i see who would help a team making a run this year.

scotty171

Sep 11, 2007
i only wish more fans could see the forest for the trees between 2019-2022 as we stood pat at deadline after deadline.

meanwhile hamilton is rebuilding and will have another juggernaut by 2026...
Saginaw has enough picks to add whoever they want next season and seem to be in a way better situation than the hounds. The thing with Raftis' strategy of not selling and looking at retooling all the time is that you need to draft really well. That hasn't been a strength like it used to be, even with higher round picks.

Reactions: HockeyPops

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Looks as of now that no trades were made unless something trickles down after the deadline? Cant sell if no one wants your players or just wants them for pennies on the dollar is my assumption.. and you need assets if you hope to host the Memorial Cup next year. Hopefully Raftis & Co. have some cards they have been holding tight to their chest.. maybe an import player or a NCAA commitment.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Looks as of now that no trades were made unless something trickles down after the deadline? Cant sell if no one wants your players or just wants them for pennies on the dollar is my assumption.. and you need assets if you hope to host the Memorial Cup next year. Hopefully Raftis & Co. have some cards they have been holding tight to their chest.. maybe an import player or a NCAA commitment.

Were you expecting something different? Yesterday, there really weren't enough teams looking for OAs for me to expect moving any of ours. And today who would we have sold? Hard to get even pennies on the dollar when you are trying to sell a player worth only pennies to begin with.

Not sure what kind of moves you would have had him make?

@DWI Dale will be happy as I have come over to the dark side regarding 2023-2024. I am hoping for a missed playoffs this year with some good prospects selected in the off season. Hoping to not get awarded the Mem Cup. Then next year hoping for underwhelming first half results to force Raftis' hand into a sell. Even so, not convinced he will sell based on this roster construction, he might feel he only has one move (a la Kitchener this season). But man, would it be nice to get some top dollar for some of our '04s and set us up for some big years.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
1673373334881.png

Reactions: HockeyPops

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Were you expecting something different? Yesterday, there really weren't enough teams looking for OAs for me to expect moving any of ours. And today who would we have sold? Hard to get even pennies on the dollar when you are trying to sell a player worth only pennies to begin with.

Not sure what kind of moves you would have had him make?

@DWI Dale will be happy as I have come over to the dark side regarding 2023-2024. I am hoping for a missed playoffs this year with some good prospects selected in the off season. Hoping to not get awarded the Mem Cup. Then next year hoping for underwhelming first half results to force Raftis' hand into a sell. Even so, not convinced he will sell based on this roster construction, he might feel he only has one move (a la Kitchener this season). But man, would it be nice to get some top dollar for some of our '04s and set us up for some big years.
Call it the dark side but when the light is bright enough to see things clearly, it makes you wonder what side is truly in the dark.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Call it the dark side but when the light is bright enough to see things clearly, it makes you wonder what side is truly in the dark.

some of our fans have been drinking the Raftis/Lukenda Koolaid for too long. at this point they'd rather double down and sink with the ship than admit they were wrong about the direction of the franchise the last 4 years.

1673375203185.png

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
some of our fans have been drinking the Raftis/Lukenda Koolaid for too long. at this point they'd rather double down and sink with the ship than admit they were wrong about the direction of the franchise the last 4 years.

View attachment 633109
like i've said so many times in the past. should have traded speers and senyshyn in 2017 i think it was, then frost and hayton in 2019. if we had, we would have had a boat load of picks to build around kerins, kartye, thompson, o'rourke et al. last year would have been our year. now it'll be at least 4. we won't have enough to compete next year. maybe if we sell BMB and Kirill next year we will be okay for 2027/2028

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I think Raftis gets a solid B+ from me this deadline. The Savard move was obviously the big one. I thought he might have squeezed a bit more value out of it, but it was still a nice piece of business. He doesn't get an A as he didn't move an OA. The Hookey move has the jury out for now, but I will include the Sirizzotti and Brzustowski moves as part of the deadline - both seem like good moves at this point. I know some were suggesting moving 05s or Brown, but I didn't downgrade the mark I gave because of that - there is still plenty of time to make that decision and possibly make those moves next season if warranted.

Actually, Raftis has had a pretty good trade season overall when you look back at the rest of the transactions (although not terribly active). Blair Scott - meh, Duarte claim - good, Ballard - meh no real value lost in that flier, Thompson - good.

Next season will be a lot trickier season for him to navigate, so we will see how he does there. And of course the real issue seems to be the drafting / development side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad