SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I think virgilio has been great. It's a shame we have an older defense corps or he'd probably get relied on more. That's one plus for Dickinson. He's going to develop faster with all the playing time he is getting. Parekh looks really good too. I kind of wish we would have taken him. A defense corps with Gibson, Virginia and parekh would be insane moving forward

Reactions: 93MemCup

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think virgilio has been great. It's a shame we have an older defense corps or he'd probably get relied on more. That's one plus for Dickinson. He's going to develop faster with all the playing time he is getting. Parekh looks really good too. I kind of wish we would have taken him. A defense corps with Gibson, Virginia and parekh would be insane moving forward
The Knights 3-2003, 3-2004, ‘05, ‘06 born D that include NHL drafted Mailloux, George & Edward, as well as Bonk. Dickinson must have really impressed to get regular playing time as a rookie on that D corps and Hunter as coach.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
As good as Parekh is, there was 0 chance we were taking a D in the first round IMO. Our forward group was where we needed to add. Hopefully Brown meets those expectations.

Reactions: 93MemCup

HockeyFan000

Dec 10, 2021
I’ve been super quiet for a bit. I like virgilio and think he is definitely a top 5 dman in the 06 age group. This team is just too inexperienced and obviously won’t be super successful this year but can be exciting for next year with hopefully the memorial cup in the soo

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
For those interested, Landon Hookey has 5 pts in 7 games in OS, including 2 G, 2 A in his last 3.

He goes hard to the net, and has added an element of physical play that has been lacking on the team.

He's been playing on the 3rd line .

A nice addition .

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
For those interested, Landon Hookey has 5 pts in 7 games in OS, including 2 G, 2 A in his last 3.

He goes hard to the net, and has added an element of physical play that has been lacking on the team.

He's been playing on the 3rd line .

A nice addition .
Fantino had a solid game against Saginaw last week, 2g in that one....i guess the players just needed a change of scenery

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
On the positive side, if there is any, we are one step closer to first overall. Although it'll take a miracle to let Niagara pass us.

Maybe Miller should be allowed to start a game or two. Not showing much confidence in our 2nd rounder that we wanted so bad that we traded an extra pick to get him. Only times I've seen him is when the game was already a blowout. He looked pretty good tonight after settling in.

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
I agree that Miller should get a START or two at some time moving forward.

Now the play of the Hounds is becoming an embarrassment. They usually tend to collapse late in the game or in the over time/shootout. Now we are faced with slow STARTS - unbelievable!

Who needs to take responsibility for this? Naturally the players and coaching staff. Have the players now tuned out Dean and don't want to play for him?

I also feel the the organization has to restructure its scouting staff. How can we have drafted Clouthier and Brown in the first round.

At times when we play other teams in the league it looks like boys playing men. Raftis can say we have drafted player with speed and skill but he needs to zero in on drafting SIZE.

Reactions: hounds72

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Agreed! Unfortunately there is no depth core to build around. Not deans fault. Raftis and scouting on the hook for this one.

I think the last update on Allard was late Feb/early March.

Unfortunately this will not be a game changing addition. You will likely just see him fade into the pile of mignosa, dintino, etc. We are not taking barret hayton returning from an injury here.

Reactions: DWI Dale

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Unfortunately this will not be a game changing addition. You will likely just see him fade into the pile of mignosa, dintino, etc. We are not taking barret hayton returning from an injury here.
It's possible. I've been disappointed by those players you mentioned in their sophomore seasons. However, I am still high on Allard, so holding out hope that you are wrong on this one. Looking forward to seeing him back in the red and white at any rate.

Not sure this team is going to be good enough next season to potentially be a Memorial Cup host.
Nobody is. We are all thinking the same thing over here.

Although, you definitely didn't see their best effort. The unfortunate thing is that their best effort only seems to appear infrequently at best.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Who needs to take responsibility for this?

Dean hasn't worked any miracles during his tenure however I place the blame on Raftis.

His unwillingness to rebuild and diminished scouting/drafting since 2018 has left us with a team full of 3rd line forwards.

There's a solid defensive core and promising goaltending but more holes at forward than our draft cupboard can fill.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
John Dean calling Kirill Kudryavtsev the best defensemen in the league is a bit of a strectch.
Even though he is a very good defensemen i could think of a at least 6 off the top of my
head who i would rather have :
1. brandt clarke ( barrie )
2. ehtan del mastro ( sarnia )
3 christian kyrou ( sarnia )
4. pavel mintyukev ( ottawa )
5. ty nelson ( north bay )
6. logan mailloux ( london )
i am sure there are a few others.

Reactions: hounds72

scotty171

Sep 11, 2007
Dean hasn't worked any miracles during his tenure however I place the blame on Raftis.

His unwillingness to rebuild and diminished scouting/drafting since 2018 has left us with a team full of 3rd line forwards.

There's a solid defensive core and promising goaltending but more holes at forward than our draft cupboard can fill.
Best case is probably to bottom out and get a top 2 pick that can step into the top 6 right away. The OHL has the top pick in the import draft this year as well, so bring in another forward with that top pick. If they don't win the mem cup bid they have to sell off BMB for a huge return and build around the younger core.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If they don't win the mem cup bid they have to sell off BMB for a huge return and build around the younger core.
Raftis has never sold off a player like BMB. What makes any of us think he is willing to make this kind of a move?

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
While I do like BMB, I think it's still debatable whether he's 4th overall material. I also don't think at a trade deadline he's gonna fetch the kings ransom, like our previous years talent would have. With that being said I hope he turns into an absolute beast next year. If we had had a few core pieces like him already in the lineup to build around, I would definitely be a little more hyped up for a cup run.

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Krill paired with a high end offensive defenseman is a top 4 on any team in the league. Kid brings cconsistency and and is all business every game. A lot of the kids could learn from him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad