SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty171

Sep 11, 2007
In 2019-2020 we were in the midst of a bid and in the first 19 games had only collected 13 points. Now, we did bring in Brkin on Nov 12 which helped right the ship. Then we dumped Jacklin and Wale at the deadline. We might be looking at something similar here; bring in a reinforcement now (forward) to prop up the team, then do a light sell at the deadline (Watson? Ivanov? Brzustowski? D'Intino?)
This should probably be the way to go. Anything that makes sense to help this and next year plus sell off what you can to add picks to the war chest. Should be able to get some picks back for the guys you mentioned.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I haven't followed the Hounds too closely the last few years but this seems like a down year. They have a high enough effort level they will win some games but ultimately they lack talent all around. I would imagine a playoff berth is a success for the season but when it gets to deadline time.. Sell whatever has value and isn't going to be a top 6 forward or top 4 d next year.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
48 to 15 shots on goal
23 to 4 in the 3rd,
7 to 0 in OT,
53 to 16 faceoff wins,
gave up 1 powerplay all game,

and we still didn't win.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Raftis was on during the second intermission. As always, keeping his cards close to his vest. I recognize that Sarnia used Namestnikov as bait to get Pastujov so we were probably never in the running for Namestnikov, but hopefully Raftis at least kicked the tires. As myself and other posters have suggested, this team needs more skill up front. Constantly watching Cloutier botch opportunities while getting T6 minutes is becoming more of a full time job than a hobby.

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
I think that the Hounds did not do their homework when they decided to draft Clouthier and Brown in the first round these past 2 years.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
When was the last time Raftis made a meaningful trade ? Jack Thompson? Before that? Has always seemed a bit shy in that department

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Kudos to all of the fans who were giving it to Logan Mailloux. He said some pretty nasty things back, but you wouldn't expect anything less. That kind of person has no place in our league.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Kudos to all of the fans who were giving it to Logan Mailloux. He said some pretty nasty things back, but you wouldn't expect anything less. That kind of person has no place in our league.
Wasn't at the game, but I can't think of a time when I enjoyed listening to fans give it to an 18 year old kid. It has no place in junior hockey, imo.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Wasn't at the game, but I can't think of a time when I enjoyed listening to fans give it to an 18 year old kid. It has no place in junior hockey, imo.
This is one of the few circumstances where it is warranted. A person who doesn't deserve to play in the league should get heckled.

Reactions: three dog night

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
What do u guys think the likelihood is you trade Ivanov?
With Raftis, who knows? He rarely sells as much as we fans would like him to. From what I hear, Ivanov is one of the most liked guys in the dressing room. He will be back next year, when the Soo hopes to contend, and it's not like we have a glut of OA options coming back.

We spent a high draft pick this year on a goalie who seems to be doing well (Miller has the highest save % of all 16 y/o in the NOJHL). Personally, I would trade Ivanov if there was demand for him.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
What do u guys think the likelihood is you trade Ivanov?

Yes, it is a no brainer. The only question that comes is WHEN, this or next year? Do you take a chance at him going pro?

I also don't think Miller can leave the Thunderbirds for the Hounds this year now. Not sure how it works with signed Thunderbird players and cards, I could also be very wrong.

With Raftis, who knows? He rarely sells as much as we fans would like him to. From what I hear, Ivanov is one of the most liked guys in the dressing room. He will be back

next year, when the Soo hopes to contend, and it's not like we have a glut of OA options coming back.

We spent a high draft pick this year on a goalie who seems to be doing well (Miller has the highest save % of all 16 y/o in the NOJHL). Personally, I would trade Ivanov if there was demand for him.

If Raftis wastes a OA spot on Ivanov he should be fired.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWI Dale

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Knowing the lack of success the hounds have had in overtime & shootouts.
i question the players Dean throws out on the ice in the 3 on 3 & especially the shootout top 3
shooters. Have no problem with Bryce McConnel Barker in shootout but choosing defensemen
shooting as the 2nd shooter the past 2 games has me wondering what the coaches are thinking.
Connor Toms on Friday & Karil Kudratsev on Sunday as 2nd shooters ?

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Your opinion, but the league says otherwise. This isn't one of those countries that promote public stoning, but I could see you as part of the crowd that would enjoy that sort of spectacle.
People in the league believe the same thing, but they made a decision to serve their financial interests.

It's a long leap between heckling a bad person and resorting to violence. Nobody said anything of the sort.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I don't feel bad for Logan in the least.

Playing in the OHL is a privilege I don't believe Logan has earned. And some heckles from fans doesn't amount to .000001% of the discomfort he forced on his victim.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Disagree. Branch should get heckled. The government should get heckled. The kid is just operating within the framework that the others provide. And he is 18.
The framework provided is that you can't take sexual videos of people without their consent or then redistribute those videos (again without the persons consent) to try to humiliate the girl. So no, he definitely did not operate within the framework that the others provided. Branch didn't do that for him. The government didn't do that for him. He did that. He made that decision and took advantage of that girl in that way. Really bad look to be downplaying that. Be better.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The framework provided is that you can't take sexual videos of people without their consent or then redistribute those videos (again without the persons consent) to try to humiliate the girl. So no, he definitely did not operate within the framework that the others provided. Branch didn't do that for him. The government didn't do that for him. He did that. He made that decision and took advantage of that girl in that way. Really bad look to be downplaying that. Be better.
There is some really good discussion and debate to be had on that topic. But I know you don't want that. You prefer the easy way out.

For the rest of us, here is an interesting blog on the subject, who's opinion closely reflects my own. An excerpt:

"While I find what Mailloux did to be deplorable, I do believe in second chances. The fact that he is a hockey player should not dictate whether he gets to earn a living in the sport due to his crime. By the letter of Swedish law, he did pay his debt to society. Whether you think the punishment was too lenient is a different argument altogether. Being a pro-hockey player obviously casts a spotlight on what he did, however, there are many people in our society who have committed similar crimes or worse and are still allowed to make a living once their debt to society is paid."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad