SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
How did the draft lottery hurt the Hounds?
Luck of the draw.
The 20 team lottery following the shut down hurt the Soo as they did not have their own 2nd - #3 pick following the #18 pick in round 1. And the Soo picked ~#54 in the import draft.
Windsor picked #4 in round 1, then #1 in round 2; and ~#11 in the import draft.
Edit: the Soo benefitted with early import pick

Last edited:

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
I agree with a lot of the above about the way Dubas built the team for a few years and I did love a lot of the players he found and developed in the later rounds and I also really like some or his acquisitions he made through trades.

And truth be told with all that being said it was some really exciting and fun hockey to watch.

BUT.....I really believe at the end of the day this puck possession trying to roll 3 lines front and back with 💯 highly skilled players is just not going to win you championships. You need the grit on that sandpaper if you wanna battle out 4 rounds in playoff hockey and come out on top.

I'm sure some of you remember when we played eerie and McDavid. Well we lost that series solely because of McDavid and probably a young debrincat too....which is fair.....but then a team like Oshawa comes in armed with grit...and if I remember correctly very little nhl draft picks or and nhl drafted goalie....and they dismantled Eerie.

And even the Hamilton series for the OHl championship...they just had more grit and depth in that department. And low and behold hamilton wins another championship a few years later.

As dwidale kind of stated with the London knights. There are better systems that are put there. As a fan and as ownership we need to realize this at some point and move on. I truly believe dubas and Keefe started the trajectory in the right direction....but we can definitely branch out from this model

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The lottery where the Greyhounds were awarded 18th happened after the season that wasn't. Had that season happened, the Soo were positioned to be one of the top teams in the league and contend (and possibly host the Mem Cup). Sure we could have gotten lucky and picked earlier, but I don't really believe the lottery hurt the Soo. We picked right where we should have for where we were in our cycle.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Kyle Raftis looking like a genius with that Savard deal...8 points in 19 games played with Barrie. 38 pims. yikes.

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Kids a great little hockey player. He's ohl Calibre hands down. And he's a workhorse. I think the argument here is, he's not a 1st round pick. He's more of a mid to late round depth player.

Man that Justin Cloutier is going to make a lot of people eat crow.

Reactions: Bear54

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
The savard deal was a decent return for sure for us. But as far a barrie goes. It was a solid pick up.

Barrie is now sitting 3rd in the conference. Savard is that type of player that's gonna provide that "grit" you need in the playoffs for a long run. And he can score at times.

His point total was bound to go down once he went to team where he was bounced down the depth chart.

Bang into the colts goalie or take a cheap shot at their top player. Hello Savard. Great older player to settle things down or to agitate in playoff hockey.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
The savard deal was a decent return for sure for us. But as far a barrie goes. It was a solid pick up.

Barrie is now sitting 3rd in the conference. Savard is that type of player that's gonna provide that "grit" you need in the playoffs for a long run. And he can score at times.

His point total was bound to go down once he went to team where he was bounced down the depth chart.

Bang into the colts goalie or take a cheap shot at their top player. Hello Savard. Great older player to settle things down or to agitate in playoff hockey.

Savard probably at his fight limit now or beyond.

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Guaranteed savard is at fight limit. That's one of the problems with that rule. Now teams can antagonize or worry little about repercussions for cheap shotting the star players.

Never been a fan of that rule being implemented.

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Especially with kids just not built as tough as they were in the old days. You better believe it that it can change the landscape of game when a kid knows that he has to play a cautious game with his head up, for something like running a star player

Or your star player is a bit off cause he's worrying about your grit player crashing and banging all game.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Guaranteed savard is at fight limit. That's one of the problems with that rule. Now teams can antagonize or worry little about repercussions for cheap shotting the star players.

Never been a fan of that rule being implemented.
I like the instigator rule when a player starts a fight because his team mate was hit with a clean hard hit.
I would also like to see it called when the twerps come in with gloves and stick high after whistles. A beating and putting your team a man down for 2 min should deter the kids that pretend to play tough from the goal area after whistles.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
John Dean is the worst coach we've had in about 10 years.

Absolutely horrible and he cannot coach young players. He can't develop.

When we win we win on the talent of our players NOT Because of preparation from Dean. He cannot coach. I'm probably done for the year attending games.

After Dean’s first year of coaching with us I was a fire Dean guy until the Guelph game on Friday, February 24, 2023. I’m no insider. But I know a certain someone who is credible enough to relay from a parent of a player this. That some other parents of players are in touch with hounds brass complaining that coaches are pushing hard or getting tough on them. Children in grown bodies and their helicopter over protective devouring parents are the problem and for some time now Dean and management have had their hands tied.

Reactions: hounds72

BehindSooNet

Mar 15, 2015
Landon Hookey on the top line tonight, responded with the hat trick, in a big 7-5 win over the 🌙 nights.

The kid's been a welcome addition to the Attack.

Thanks!
Meanwhile, down in Barrie, Tyler Savard netted 2 goals and an assist (plus 2 penalties & a 10-minute misconduct).

Here's hoping some of the guys we got in trades have a productive game today against Kitchener!

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Meanwhile, down in Barrie, Tyler Savard netted 2 goals and an assist (plus 2 penalties & a 10-minute misconduct).

Here's hoping some of the guys we got in trades have a productive game today against Kitchener!
14 minutes in penalty minutes puts Tyler Savard at the top of the list for league PIMs with 112.

Not bad.

Reactions: dirty12

Gouin Street

Jan 9, 2014
S.S.Marie
Tough loss in Kitchener. Those 2 points put some space between us, and the Rangers for the last spot in the West. I dont think we play Kitchener again this year. Feel bad for the players and coaches. Reality must be setting in about missing the playoffs (if it hasnt already). But we do have a nice stretch of home games to finish the season. I think only 3 road games (1 trip) left on the road. See you at the Gardens.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Tough loss in Kitchener. Those 2 points put some space between us, and the Rangers for the last spot in the West. I dont think we play Kitchener again this year. Feel bad for the players and coaches. Reality must be setting in about missing the playoffs (if it hasnt already). But we do have a nice stretch of home games to finish the season. I think only 3 road games (1 trip) left on the road. See you at the Gardens.

Tough schedule ahead. Typically we would see teams give their top players nights off and we could squeeze a few points out but this the standings being so tight, I think we will be facing these teams at their best.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It probably won't matter either way. Squeezing out a few points won't be enough to climb into a playoff spot. It might only matter if Erie goes on a heater to end the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad